401K's

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Probably showing my financial stupidity, but does anybody use a financial advisor for their 401K's? I've never used one and don't really know if it's something that's done. If so who and how did you go about it.

LibertyBeacon

Unto dust we shall return
Probably showing my financial stupidity, but does anybody use a financial advisor for their 401K's? I've never used one and don't really know if it's something that's done. If so who and how did you go about it.

Advisors are never a bad idea. I don't have 401K's, so cannot comment directly on that.

You want fee-only advisors. Go to Garrett Planning Network's website and find one.

tommyjo

Call your plan provider first (the investment company)...part of their responsibility is to offer assistance.

Don't fall for the "fee only" hype...that is nothing more than a marketing concept. If you don't believe me read Shelly Garret's first book and how pleased she was with herself for charging a kid $180 to invest $1800 in a no load mutual fund!! No commission person I have ever talked to earned 10% to sell me a mutual fund. I tossed the book in the trash right there.

Chris0nllyn

In addition to my 401k management company's advice, I also have gone to my bank's investment manager and spoke with them.

We use the advisory service that comes with the 401K provider and also our own advisor who factors the 401Ks into our picture. In the end it is our decision and "in the multitude of counsel there is safety."

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Call your plan provider first (the investment company)...part of their responsibility is to offer assistance.

^This^ And also because you know the advisor will be a real financial advisor, not just some dummy who calls himself one.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I faxed everything to my Uncle, who at the time was VP at Morgan Stanley in San Francisco. He advised me and my 401k is doing quite well.

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
i started out on my own with roll overs from company plans... usually a mix of Lg,Med,Sm, Interm Term Bond, and a foreign fund should give you enough diversity to be safe. Once you get enough money as an example Fidelity you'll get an advisor that you can talk about rebalance etc each year.

Look for No Transaction fee (NTF)funds, low expense ratio funds, look for a manager of fund who has been there long time, Morningstar/Yahoo finance look up can get you in right direction. Another option is the ETF funds, very low expense on them...

Actually looking at them now, to move some of mine to: hypothetically bought 1000 shares @ jan 1 2014 price.

VIG,VXUS,VTI,VXF,VBR,VWO,VCIT today I have 6.20 32K profit... Not big money but not a loser either, I try not to look at them, time the market etc, not a big gambler ...

Good luck

Chris0nllyn

i started out on my own with roll overs from company plans... usually a mix of Lg,Med,Sm, Interm Term Bond, and a foreign fund should give you enough diversity to be safe. Once you get enough money as an example Fidelity you'll get an advisor that you can talk about rebalance etc each year.

Look for No Transaction fee (NTF)funds, low expense ratio funds, look for a manager of fund who has been there long time, Morningstar/Yahoo finance look up can get you in right direction. Another option is the ETF funds, very low expense on them...

Actually looking at them now, to move some of mine to: hypothetically bought 1000 shares @ jan 1 2014 price.

VIG,VXUS,VTI,VXF,VBR,VWO,VCIT today I have 6.20 32K profit... Not big money but not a loser either, I try not to look at them, time the market etc, not a big gambler ...

Good luck

I'd stay away from foreign funds. They are not performing well.

I'm making some changes 1st of the year when I get my new 401k and will be putting a large chunk in T. Rowe Price Health Sciences Fund.

http://www3.troweprice.com/fb2/fbkweb/snapshot.do?ticker=PRHSX

vince77

My advice, Open an account and redirect your 401's to Vanguard. www.vanguard.com they have some of the lowest fees in the industry and someone will talk to you on the phone if you have questions

If your a passive investor, buy index funds. These are the ones I'd invest in if you want exposure to the whole market.

Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund (VTSMX)
Vanguard Total International Stock Index Fund (VGTSX)
Vanguard Total Bond Market Fund (VBMFX)

Here's and excellent forum for investing, financial issues. Some of these people are real pennypinchers, but a lot of savvy investors there bogleheads.com