Proper oil to use in backup generator

DEEKAYPEE8569

I've looked on the generator manufacturer's website.....nuthin'.....
I have never had to mess with it. Now I have to; and I don't have a clue.

It's a GENERAC generator; don't know the output but it's got a horse of a motor as far as pull-starting goes.

Chris0nllyn

Not the brightest here but those instructions seem a bit extreme. Do they (Generac peeps) expect owners to drain and change the oil as the temp drops, and then reverse the process in the Spring? I would think if you went with the synthetic 5W-30, all modes would be covered.

Same applies to vehicles, but you wouldn't change the oil weight and viscosity for each season (well, I guess you could, but it's useless).

I'd personally stick with 10W-30 all year.

I've looked on the generator manufacturer's website.....nuthin'.....
I have never had to mess with it. Now I have to; and I don't have a clue.

It's a GENERAC generator; don't know the output but it's got a horse of a motor as far as pull-starting goes.
If you aren't used to foolin' with a generator please make sure you educate yourself on how to properly AND safely hook it up and use it. If you do it wrong or don't pay proper attention to it while it's running you can end up in a bad way.

5 generator mistakes that can leave you in the dark or worse
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...-can-leave-you-in-the-dark-or-worse/index.htm

DEEKAYPEE8569

If you aren't used to foolin' with a generator please make sure you educate yourself on how to properly AND safely hook it up and use it. If you do it wrong or don't pay proper attention to it while it's running you can end up in a bad way.

5 generator mistakes that can leave you in the dark or worse
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...-can-leave-you-in-the-dark-or-worse/index.htm

Well, I do know to shut off the mains in the breaker boxes (garage & house) first. We plug the genny into the outlet on the breaker box inside the garage. (One of Dad's lessons learned) and I think, GLHS's suggestion. It keeps the pump, furnace/A/C (Depending on the season), fridges and freezer running; and we can watch TV and use minimal lighting; ie; no more than two rooms at a time.

Last edited:

DEEKAYPEE8569

Same applies to vehicles, but you wouldn't change the oil weight and viscosity for each season (well, I guess you could, but it's useless).

I'd personally stick with 10W-30 all year.

I know the logic of sticking with the same oil year round in vehicles; and I know you can use 10W-30 in yard machines, pressure washers, that kinda thing. Backup generators have engines like that; they're just 8HP or some such.
The part that throws me off is, they run wide open for hours and many have an 'hours run' meter, or whatever it's called; and the recommendation is to change the oil/filter after so many hours of full operation. Dad was good at winterizing/storing things like generators, that sit unused for long periods, so, I'm sure the generator's okay. I'd just like to see for myself before I have to wind it up. I'll prob'ly do this A LOT; but as Dad used to say, 'It's one of those 'roundtoit's.' 'I'll do it when I get 'rountoit.'

nutz

I know the logic of sticking with the same oil year round in vehicles; and I know you can use 10W-30 in yard machines, pressure washers, that kinda thing. Backup generators have engines like that; they're just 8HP or some such.
The part that throws me off is, they run wide open for hours and many have an 'hours run' meter, or whatever it's called; and the recommendation is to change the oil/filter after so many hours of full operation. Dad was good at winterizing/storing things like generators, that sit unused for long periods, so, I'm sure the generator's okay. I'd just like to see for myself before I have to wind it up. I'll prob'ly do this A LOT; but as Dad used to say, 'It's one of those 'roundtoit's.' 'I'll do it when I get 'rountoit.'

You should be able to get a manual outlining the hour intervals for the maintenance stuff. Low usage stuff can be "guesstimated" and just set a semi-annual or annual time schedule regardless of the low hour count.
You should find the model # through here or call them and get one...888-436-3722
http://www.generac.com/service-support/product-support-lookup

Draining the gas from the carb and lines during storage times is also important. Adding a stabilizer to the fuel in the tank is a good idea too.

From their support site
"I am out of recommended oil, but I need to operate my generator. What are my options?–
In an emergency, oil with an API rating of SH, SJ, SK, CF-4, ILSAC, GF-1, GF-2 or GF-4 can be used. It can be mineral, semi-synthetic or synthetic. Any of the following viscosities are permissible: SAE 5W-30, 10W-30, 10W-40, 20W-50, 30 OR 40 weight. Change the oil as soon as possible using Generac oil, per the owner's manual recommendations."

Chris0nllyn

Gas gensets don't really run balls out. Though it may seem like it, they don't. Kind of like your lawn mower. They are designed to run at one speed without ill effects (as long as you maintain it).

They have an hour meter, because they don't have an odometer. It's the same concept. Run for a certain amount of time and change the oil/filters.

As for winterizing, or long term storage....Dump a can of Seafoam in the gas tank (can be found at any auto parts store, and IMO, the best fuel stabilizer/carbon cleaner out there). Start the generator, close the fuel valve, and run it until it shuts off. The fuel bowl in the carb will run dry, eliminating the ethanol from fouling the carb up. The Seafoam will keep the fuel stable for awhile, and when you go to fire it up again, it will clean the carbon from the valves and combustion chamber.

We are, of course, talking about small, home generators. Getting into diesel backup power gensets, and we have to talk about loading the generator at least 30% to prevent wet stacking, but I digress.

PeoplesElbow

Not the brightest here but those instructions seem a bit extreme. Do they (Generac peeps) expect owners to drain and change the oil as the temp drops, and then reverse the process in the Spring? I would think if you went with the synthetic 5W-30, all modes would be covered.

Ive seen small engine manuals where they show suitable oil for temp ranges, usually the synthetic 5w-30 covers all temp ranges that will be experienced. Really though it isn't rocket science if you pick the one in the middle it will be close enough for almost all situations too. The heavier weight oil might make starting a wee bit harder is all.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Start the generator, close the fuel valve, and run it until it shuts off. The fuel bowl in the carb will run dry, eliminating the ethanol from fouling the carb up.

I was told, when you do this, do not have a load on the genny