Foundation

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
What Absolutely Everyone Needs To Know About Isaac Asimov's Foundation

Soon, Isaac Asimov's legendary Foundation trilogy will be coming to HBO. But what do you need to know about this series, which explores questions of fate versus determinism and the cyclical nature of history? Here's our complete primer on this enduring science-fiction classic.

Top image: Foundation and Empire, art by Chris Foss.

The news that Interstellar's Jonah Nolan would be writing and producing the adaptation broke last week, shortly after he expressed his admiration for Asimov's opus in an interview with Indiewire:

I ####ing love the Foundation novels by Isaac Asimov —they're certainly not unknown, but that's a set of books I think everyone would benefit from reading. That's a set of books where the influence they have is just ####ing massive; they have many imitators and many have been inspired by them, but go back and read those, and there are some ideas in those that'll set your ####ing hair on fire.

Hessian

I made it through over 2.5 hours of that ridiculous movie. Walked out when he's floating behind the bookshelves.
I absolutely HATE movies (fantasy or sci-fi) that pull "the rabbit" out of that hat with a totally illogical solution. Sometimes an alien pop up, sometimes a wizard finds a magic potion, sometimes an object magically transforms into exactly what everybody needed.

This is crap...this is a writer getting stuck and needing to come to a conclusion once they've written themselves into a corner.
I rarely walk out of a movie. I want to care about the actors/actresses but when they mumble through lines, have fake spasms of anger, and then the author has them bounce in & out of time...it is confusing & annoying.

Add to that Millions are spent on setting...except why the hell is everybody driving 60 year old cars during an evacuation scene? What? run out of $$ to create "future cars?" Ridiculous. Fantastical pablum.

If you could care less about logic,...please enjoy this baffling movie.