Note to web sites, advertisers and developers...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
...if you put too much crap on your page, I just close it and leave. I'll forget and come maybe another time and then, when your page is capturing my browser, making the whole world pause, starting videos I didn't click on, letting me read a few lines and THEN taking me to an ad that says it will let me finish in a minute, I click out. Soon enough, I remember and...

...I don't go back to your ####ing NOISY, LOUD, OBNOXIOUS, BUSY, ANNOYING STUPID MOTHER####ING SITE.

Now, if, on the other hand, your site is easy to use, doesn't browser rape me, is fast, lets me get right to the content, FAST, EASY, guess what? I go back and back and back and, guess what else, I see your passive ads. They make an impact through...TOM...top of mind awareness. That's right. Repetition.

So, SCREAM at me and I am not coming back. Be hard to use and I am not coming back. Capture my browser, I AM NOT COMING BACK

Be friendly and accommodating and inviting and easy, well, baby, I'm coming back time and time again. Link to you, tell all my friends, all of that.

Just some friendly advise because, guess what, browser rapists, your content is either gonna be had somewhere else soon enough or, the interest will be gone and it won't matter.

So, treat me like you want to. Just understand what that means in terms of how I will respond. :buddies:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I hate sites like that, and it seems like there are more and more of them every day.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I hate sites like that, and it seems like there are more and more of them every day.

It's a case of 'we CAN do this!' It's up to someone to say "Yeah, but should we?' and someone else to say "No. It defeats the purpose. Find someone who doesn't specializing in driving traffic away."

It used to be great sport when Vrai and I were together, to watch commercials and spend the next, oh, 15 seconds or so coming up with MUCH better ideas on how to appeal to people. But, alas, it is the Golden Rule; He who has the gold gets to pick the worst possible ways to appeal. :lol:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
We have advertisers that would like to go all bells and whistles, be as obnoxious as possible in order to get attention for their ad. I always talk them out of it because of just what Larry said - it turns people off. And if they want to turn people off their own website that's their choice, but we cannot let them turn people off *our* website.

It is ridiculously annoying when you go to a page and 10,000 popups attack you and all sorts of commercials start to play. Google ads very occasionally lets one slip in but it's usually caught quickly and removed.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
...if you put too much crap on your page, I just close it and leave. I'll forget and come maybe another time and then, when your page is capturing my browser, making the whole world pause, starting videos I didn't click on, letting me read a few lines and THEN taking me to an ad that says it will let me finish in a minute, I click out. Soon enough, I remember and...

...I don't go back to your ####ing NOISY, LOUD, OBNOXIOUS, BUSY, ANNOYING STUPID MOTHER####ING SITE.

Now, if, on the other hand, your site is easy to use, doesn't browser rape me, is fast, lets me get right to the content, FAST, EASY, guess what? I go back and back and back and, guess what else, I see your passive ads. They make an impact through...TOM...top of mind awareness. That's right. Repetition.

So, SCREAM at me and I am not coming back. Be hard to use and I am not coming back. Capture my browser, I AM NOT COMING BACK

Be friendly and accommodating and inviting and easy, well, baby, I'm coming back time and time again. Link to you, tell all my friends, all of that.

Just some friendly advise because, guess what, browser rapists, your content is either gonna be had somewhere else soon enough or, the interest will be gone and it won't matter.

So, treat me like you want to. Just understand what that means in terms of how I will respond. :buddies:
Here! Here! :buddies:

TPD

the poor dad
I'm still using the first gen iPad and those type of sites Larry mentioned will shut my browser down every time so I just don't got them. Baynet is a great example. The old sight liked my iPad so I visited frequently and noticed the advertisers. The new sight does not like my iPad so I no longer visit and as a result don't see the ads. I had considered advertising my business on that sight but I will not do that now.

crushmymugshot1

Google’s only service for creating websites right now is Google Sites, which allows you to easily create basic sites and wikis from pre-built templates. That product has lingered without any meaningful updates for a while now, so maybe Web Designer will be a more sophisticated replacement for Sites’ editor.

crushmymugshot1

Google’s only service for creating websites right now is Google Sites, which allows you to easily create basic sites and wikis from pre-built templates. That product has lingered without any meaningful updates for a while now, so maybe Web Designer will be a more sophisticated replacement for Sites’ editor.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

We have advertisers that would like to go all bells and whistles, be as obnoxious as possible in order to get attention for their ad. I always talk them out of it because of just what Larry said - it turns people off. And if they want to turn people off their own website that's their choice, but we cannot let them turn people off *our* website.

It is ridiculously annoying when you go to a page and 10,000 popups attack you and all sorts of commercials start to play. Google ads very occasionally lets one slip in but it's usually caught quickly and removed.

Here! Here! :buddies:

Huzzah! :buddies:

Newspaper websites are some of the worst!

:clap: :yay:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Oh, look! 3 more pages this morning I gave up on and did NOT look at your content because your are more interested in mind ####ing me than treating me as a customer.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

I wanna do a SNL type skit where people walk into a seemingly nice bar/bistro kind of place. As is, you walk in, it's inviting, nice colors, a little board over there with the specials written on a cute chalk board with nice handwriting, a board with the band that's playing Friday night, the beer taps are there to be looked at if you like, booze line up. You ask for or are handed a menu, pleasant, may I get you a drink or just some water to start? Coffee? Need a minute? No problem! Relax! Take your time! BRB in a snap with your drink!"

So, the skit, you walk in, it's nice, inviting but, suddenly, as you start to glance at the specials chalk board, it attacks you, knocks you down to where you can't move and starts screaming 'shrimp quesadilla!!!!' in your face, over and over again. You struggle to you feet and try to make it to a bar stool and then the band board leaps into action "Billy Bob and the Billys'!!!!!!! You can't move. It's screaming so loud you really can't make it out. It's not really loaded all the way as it screams bits and bytes at you, shuttering, and you can't ####ing move OR make it stop. Then, again, you get up, start to sit and the beer taps attack all at once so you feel like you're in a pin ball machine. You sit, the waitress doesn't hand you a menu or even ask if you want one. She opens it and smashes it in your face, knocking you over, flipping pages "We make a really good....we make a really good....we make a really good....." Finally, you grab your coat and just turn and run "Come back soon mother####er! Come back soon so we can #### your ass some more mother####er! Thanks for coming, mother####er!!!! Kill You! Die! Come back soon!!!! Thanks for....."

That's the typical web page today.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
So, the skit, you walk in, it's nice, inviting but, suddenly, as you start to glance at the specials chalk board, it attacks you, knocks you down to where you can't move and starts screaming 'shrimp quesadilla!!!!' in your face, over and over again. You struggle to you feet and try to make it to a bar stool and then the band board leaps into action "Billy Bob and the Billys'!!!!!!! You can't move. It's screaming so loud you really can't make it out. It's not really loaded all the way as it screams bits and bytes at you, shuttering, and you can't ####ing move OR make it stop. Then, again, you get up, start to sit and the beer taps attack all at once so you feel like you're in a pin ball machine. You sit, the waitress doesn't hand you a menu or even ask if you want one. She opens it and smashes it in your face, knocking you over, flipping pages "We make a really good....we make a really good....we make a really good....." Finally, you grab your coat and just turn and run "Come back soon mother####er! Come back soon so we can #### your ass some more mother####er! Thanks for coming, mother####er!!!! Kill You! Die! Come back soon!!!! Thanks for....."

:roflmao:

Actually it's a case of 'It has been proven to WORK' unfortunately.

One site I refuse to go to now-a-days is actually Yahoo. That site can bog your computer down something terrible!

See, that's the thing: if the site shuts down your computer, the advertising doesn't work at all. They do it because 1) that's what the client wants; and 2) they want the client's money.

What, you didn't think their primary goals was to get you to read their site, did you?

I get a lot of obnoxious requests from advertisers. It's not that they're bad people, they just want their ads to stand out. And since we're a little guy and don't have unlimited people to piss off, I always tell them no. It's in their best interest anyway - we discourage flash banners for that reason, because so many of our readers have those programs turned off and major tablets don't even support it. Why advertise if nobody can see your ads?

My peeves are, in no particular order:

Pop ups/unders
Ads that autoplay sound that you cannot turn off
Flash based sites
Splash screens
And, get this, sites that actually make you download some special software in order to view their content. Who freaking thought that was a good idea??
Sites that make you register before you can see content