So, it's full cricle fear now.....

glhs837

Power with Control
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/beware-holiday-scam-tricks-100-bill/story?id=27051115

Ranom citizen mentions some BS threat they read about on FB at a public meeting and the MD Asst AG decides she needs to promugate this, even while mentioning she knows of no incidents like this happening. Reporter reaches out to police, who say, "Nope, never happened that we know of, but people do bump folks in trafficand take a car". Asst AG says, "I know it's an urban legend thing, but figured I should share it anyway".

WHAT THE FLYING HELL HAVE WE COME TO?!!!!!! WHY THE HELL IS THIS IDIOCY EVEN NEWS? CAN ANYONE STOP THIS SORT OF STUPIDITY?

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/beware-holiday-scam-tricks-100-bill/story?id=27051115

Ranom citizen mentions some BS threat they read about on FB at a public meeting and the MD Asst AG decides she needs to promugate this, even while mentioning she knows of no incidents like this happening. Reporter reaches out to police, who say, "Nope, never happened that we know of, but people do bump folks in trafficand take a car". Asst AG says, "I know it's an urban legend thing, but figured I should share it anyway".

WHAT THE FLYING HELL HAVE WE COME TO?!!!!!! WHY THE HELL IS THIS IDIOCY EVEN NEWS? CAN ANYONE STOP THIS SORT OF STUPIDITY?

Oooh... Maybe I should email her about looking out for shoes tied together strung over an overhead wire...:shocking:

PeoplesElbow

I would notice it before I got into the car, if not I would drive to the other side of the parking lot to get it.

glhs837

Power with Control
I would notice it before I got into the car, if not I would drive to the other side of the parking lot to get it.

But the whole point is that this has never freaking happened anywhere, but the reporters, the police and the AG all cant even stop themselves from validating it by putting it out there. These poeple are all the ones oterh people look to for valid information, and fat freakin chance they will get it. "I saw it on the news!!!! OMFG!!!!!! The AG said it was true!!!!"

Chris0nllyn

You do realize this has not Jack Schitt to do with car theft, right?

Did the story in the OP change?

The simple scheme works like this: Drivers walk to their parked cars and, after they get in the vehicle, they notice a $100 bill in the windshield. The driver exits the car with the door open to retrieve it, only to have a thief steal the vehicle.

Chris0nllyn

the whole point is that no car has ever been reported to be stolen this way. But that simple fact doesnt stop the idiots from passing the untrue story on.

I get that, but this has everything to do with stealing cars. It's the entire premise behind the "scam".

PeoplesElbow

But the whole point is that this has never freaking happened anywhere, but the reporters, the police and the AG all cant even stop themselves from validating it by putting it out there. These poeple are all the ones oterh people look to for valid information, and fat freakin chance they will get it. "I saw it on the news!!!! OMFG!!!!!! The AG said it was true!!!!"

My point is that it is too stupid to be an actual scam.

PeoplesElbow

The whorehouses in Nevada put fake money on the ground in Las Vegas as advertisements. One I picked up says "This is not legal tender, this is for young and tender"

glhs837

Power with Control
I get that, but this has everything to do with stealing cars. It's the entire premise behind the "scam".

No, the original myth has to do with stealing cars. The AAG relaying the myth to begin with, and the reporter covering story, that has nothing to do with theft, and everything to do the idiocy of todays post first, research never society. Why bother to take 15 seconds, when you will never be called out on believing BS. And that the other point, a reporter should question the AG, asking why this is remotely newsworthy, instead of regurgitating it. But neither of those things happened, and that's the point. Only the PG Sheriffs dept comes off halfway decent.

Bay_Kat

Tropical
Who in the heck has 100 dollar bills to leave on windshields with just a slight chance they might not get them back?