Why liberals are turning on Cosby

BOP

A more complex examination of what I said the other day, which is that Cosby is a conservative black, and there ain't no room in the fold for his kind in the party of criminals. And as for blacks themselves, they'll forgive any kind of criminal behavior, but they won't tolerate an "uncle Tom."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...ntcmp=ob_article_footer_text&intcmp=obnetwork

Everyone remembers Cosby as comic, or Cosby as Cliff Huxtable. But let’s flash back to 2004, when Cosby disrupted a celebration—a Constitutional Hall gala marking the 50th anniversary of Brown v. Board of Ed—with some blunt talk about the black lower class:

“People marched and were hit in the face with rocks to get an education, and now you have these knuckleheads walking around.... The lower economic people are not holding up their end of the deal. These people are not parenting.”

As Human Events later put it: “This attack went against the grain of politically correct rhetoric that defines white racism as the cause and black inequality as the result. Cosby was attacked both for his flippant tone and because his argument appeared to ‘blame the victim’ for the racial inequality and racial injustice suffered. Cosby was attacked as being a successful elitist, an African American who had achieved success and was now embarrassed by less-fortunate African Americans.”

That article quoted a Village Voice piece by Ta-Nehisi Coates calling Cosby “condescending”: “When the Coz came to Constitution Hall last week, he was one up on his audience. He had no solutions, and unlike his audience, he knew it.”

Many on the left, it’s fair to say, did not embrace Cosby’s indictment, as indeed it seemed to undercut the case against racism. Four years later, Coates wrote an Atlantic piece subtitled “The audacity of Bill Cosby’s black conservatism”:

PJay

Bill Cosby a conservative? Maybe on some other planet but certainly not this one.

BOP

Bill Cosby a conservative? Maybe on some other planet but certainly not this one.

C'mon, sis, you know the libprog refrain: "If you don't strongly support X, then you obviously hate X and are therefore are a far right wing-nut."

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
A couple of things:

I don't know Bill Cosby other than the character he plays when he's performing. For all I know, he really is a predator who drugs women and rapes them.

However:

Things like this tend to take on a life of their own. Someone makes an allegation, even if it's a flat out black tongued lie, and 600 others will come out of the woodwork like ticks going, "Me too! Me too! Interview me! Me too!" I'll tell you right now, I think Janice Dickinson is an attention whoring fame addict. She was a supermodel and surely was in a position to say something long before this, if the rape claim is true. Cosby is not God and has never been in a position to make or break other performers.

I think it's irresponsible for the media to just assume these claims are true, when it's just a he said/she said case with no proof. Some bimbo makes a claim, and suddenly TV shows get canceled and careers get ruined - over something that is just finger pointing and hasn't been proven to be true. Some idiot blog said that Cosby raped Raven Simone when she was on the show, and she came out righteous and said that was a lie. So we are indeed being fed bull#### by what passes for the press these days.

AND:

It's freaking fact that Roman Polanski drugged and raped a 13 year old girl, and they gave that bastard a ####ing Academy Award. So why all the hate for Cosby? I thought Hollywood loved drugged out predators?

I'm not ready to jump on the Hate Cosby bandwagon just yet.

BOP

Ed-zachery, Vrai.

http://buzzpo.com/court-public-opinion-tries-convicts-bill-cosby-rape/?utm_source=relatedposts

It seems the court of public opinion has sided against Bill Cosby, as a number of Cosby-related productions have now been halted in the wake of decades-old allegations of sexual assault by the comedy legend resurfacing. NBC is the latest to bail on the actor, dropping production of a new series it was in the process of developing which was described as a “multigenerational family show” in which Cosby plays “the patriarch of the family dispelling his classic wisdom on relationships, parenthood, [and] everything in life.” Fortunately for NBC, it had not completed a script or green lit a pilot yet.

This follows Netflix deciding to postpone a new stand-up special commemorating Cosby’s 77th birthday called Bill Cosby 77 as a result of the allegations of sexual assault once again reaching the news. TV Land similarly pulled reruns of The Cosby Show and cancelled plans to run a marathon of the show for Thanksgiving.

Certainly the fact that a previous case had over a dozen witnesses claiming misconduct over several decades does lend some weight to the accusations made against Cosby, but unfortunately the problem with decades-old rape allegations is that it’s nearly impossible to prove one way or another. Not to mention the allure of fifteen minutes of fame tends to bring people out of the woodwork to dog pile on anyone who looks vulnerable, guilty or not, thereby muddying the waters even further.

Sadly, trying people in the court of public opinion has become a commonplace affair, and the presumption of innocence now seems to hinge on whether or not the media happens to like the target of the accusations. They’ll gleefully tear down anyone who rubs them the wrong way, and fall over themselves to defend somebody whose work they admire. No matter which route they choose, they usually end up embarrassing themselves in the process.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Keep in mind in all of this the enormous sense of utter failure the left, including much of the media, is dealing with. Their chosen guy has put the Democratic party on life support, single handedly. Gitmo is still open. He escalated the war in A'stan. Pretty much everything he'd done in the Middle east has not only made things worse but been done in a feckless, amateur fashion. Wall Street has boomed under this guy. As has oil and guns and ammo. Blacks general situation has gone from bad to worse. His crowning achievement, the ACA, has been bluntly exposed as an organized fraud not to mention the endless delays, changes, exceptions and exemptions. His Green initiatives, the all of the above, have been long exposed as simple, base, Chicago style crony capitalism.

And there is nothing, NOTHING to relieve this pressure, this sense of futility. No GOP'er has stood up for anything to at least serve as a lighting rod. So, the Zimmerman case and the Ferguson fiasco, more failed narratives, serve as the only distractions. Debt has nearly doubled. Huge numbers of people have long since quit looking for work.

The left NEEDS something, someone, to attack.

LibertyBeacon

Unto dust we shall return
pudd.jpg

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
. . ., or because enough people have claimed that he raped them?

If 97% of all scientists in the world believe catastrophic manmade global warming/cooling/change is for real, why can't 8 or 20 women (and Bacon) claiming Bill is a rapist make it the truff?

Midnightrider

Which makes the title of this thread even MORE incisive. This appears to be the year liberals are turning on a LOT of prominent Black Democrats (Barkley, Cosby, Obongo, Sharpton,. . . .)

People are turning on a guy who appears to have ben a serial line stepper, if not rapist. It has nothing to do with political leanings.