Christmas

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Really, it's only as stressful as you make it. Why knock yourself out and go broke choosing the perfect gift for someone who won't even remember it next year? Is anyone really going to shun you because you got them something they weren't absolutely overjoyed with? Or if you didn't gift them at all?

I don't understand the obsession with fancy presents and running from party to party during the holidays. When Christmas becomes a series of obligations, it takes all the joy out of it. I can't believe anyone enjoys that, so why do it?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Couldn't you have at least waited till next Friday to bring up this subject?

Lowes had Christmas stuff out before Halloween, and a number of other stores have their displays up already as well. If I want to influence people and encourage them to take it easy this year and enjoy the holidays instead of stressing, I have to get them before Black Friday.

Or Black Thursday, I guess it is now.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Really, it's only as stressful as you make it. Why knock yourself out and go broke choosing the perfect gift for someone who won't even remember it next year? Is anyone really going to shun you because you got them something they weren't absolutely overjoyed with? Or if you didn't gift them at all?

I don't understand the obsession with fancy presents and running from party to party during the holidays. When Christmas becomes a series of obligations, it takes all the joy out of it. I can't believe anyone enjoys that, so why do it?

I don't! We don't, I should say. I have never done extravagent or a lot of Christmas presents, because I just don't subscribe to that. I also stick to a budget, never go into debt over it.

I have stressed over being able to get the amount of baking done that I wanted to do, but a couple of years when I was overloaded with other obligations, I just didn't bake as much.

I really like keeping things simple and not have to run, run, run.

Bann

PREMO Member
Lowes had Christmas stuff out before Halloween, and a number of other stores have their displays up already as well. If I want to influence people and encourage them to take it easy this year and enjoy the holidays instead of stressing, I have to get them before Black Friday.

Or Black Thursday, I guess it is now.

:yay:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I have stressed over being able to get the amount of baking done that I wanted to do,

Why do you do so much baking?

That's a real question because I don't cook any more or less than I do throughout the rest of the year, so I'm curious why people do all this baking at the holidays.

Bann

PREMO Member

That's a real question because I don't cook any more or less than I do throughout the rest of the year, so I'm curious why people do all this baking at the holidays.

Oh, I just bake a lot of cookies around the holidays to give away to peeps. I would send some to school, I send some to my brother, I bake for the Things. Also, to work to share and give as gifts to people there. Neighbors. Or if I go to a party.

Last edited:

Bann

PREMO Member

Honestly, I used to have waaay less time to bake a lot. Now I have a *lot more time this year since Thing2 is out of school and out of school activities. :getdown: Hence, the reason I had time to learn to golf! :banana:

molly_21

I am already shopped. I either won the gifts from someplace or the gift or gift card I did buy is under $25. So if they don't like it, it is not like I spent alot of money on it (actually other than the gift card which are $25, none of the other gifts cost me more than $15.00).

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Christmas has been ruined by commercialization and exploitation of people that now feel they have to buy, buy, buy just to look good, good, good. Gift cards for our married kids, probably a new laptop for our about to go to college daughter, and spoil the grand kids, as always.

For my wife and I, the two new bathrooms we have just redone, and the third which is coming up in January, more than covers this Christmas, and realistically, many more to follow.

A nice tree in the living room, some lights outside, and hopefully cool weather makes a good Christmas around here.

Last edited:

nutz

Really, it's only as stressful as you make it. Why knock yourself out and go broke choosing the perfect gift for someone who won't even remember it next year?

Sounds like someone is going for the saran wrap and bow package for their loved one this year :smoochy: :razz:

Christy

b*tch rocket
:offtopic: But my favorite Christmas gift to receive is a Christmas ornament. Every one I have received as a gift, I remember who gave it to me and I think of them every year when I am decorating my tree. I still have a really pretty one that Badgirl gave me one year. :yay:

Christmas is my favorite holiday. For me, the time between Thanksgiving and Christmas is the best time of the year.

acommondisaster

In recent years, it's come to be me who decorates (and undecorates when it's all over). Three trees, the fireplace, all the little things around the house, outside. I love it when it's done but last year I seethed the whole time I was doing it, thinking it was no longer a familly thing, but just one more thing everyone expects but wants no part of. This year, I'm doing store bought wreathes on the doors, a flag on the mailbox and maybe 2 trees inside. We're cutting way back on gifts -kids are all grown and we help them enough during the year. A personal gift and a gift card for each of them this year, I think. I'm thinking I'll go through all my Christmas stuff and let the DIL's decide what they want and everything else will just go on FB Freecycle group. I don't mean to sound like a scrooge; I'm really not - but it seems like it's time to simplify and enjoy the holiday rather than stressing about getting everything done. Seem to have lost what it's all about.

mamatutu

mama to two
In recent years, it's come to be me who decorates (and undecorates when it's all over). Three trees, the fireplace, all the little things around the house, outside. I love it when it's done but last year I seethed the whole time I was doing it, thinking it was no longer a familly thing, but just one more thing everyone expects but wants no part of. This year, I'm doing store bought wreathes on the doors, a flag on the mailbox and maybe 2 trees inside. We're cutting way back on gifts -kids are all grown and we help them enough during the year. A personal gift and a gift card for each of them this year, I think. I'm thinking I'll go through all my Christmas stuff and let the DIL's decide what they want and everything else will just go on FB Freecycle group. I don't mean to sound like a scrooge; I'm really not - but it seems like it's time to simplify and enjoy the holiday rather than stressing about getting everything done. Seem to have lost what it's all about.

I am not decorating at all. I started that last year. Lights outside, tree, decos, etc. We don't entertain during the Holidays anymore. We are either in Benedict with my husband's fam, or in Olney/Bethesda with our daughter, her hub and his parents. There is no reason to decorate for just hub and me. I have given a lot to my daughter to use.

Thanks for the idea of the FB Freecycle! I have a lot of stuff that needs to find new homes.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I'm going to celebrate the birth of Christ in the same manner as the early Christian church did. (think about it).

DEEKAYPEE8569

Last year I gave money for Christmas. That way, everybody; Brother and SIL, and five kids; "our four" and a Foreign Exchange student, could get what they wanted after the holidays. Teenagers never turn down free money.

Edit: Quickest $700 I've ever spent.

Last edited:

SamSpade

Just get something thoughtful. Limit who you buy for. Don't feel the need to buy a present because they bought you one.

I noticed that with my kids - I know what they got for Christmas. Almost without fail, within a month, they WEREN'T playing with them. The exception is their tablets. Everything else, lost somewhere among their other toys.

What did *I* get? I don't know. Something nice. Ferrero-Rochers. Cologne. Gloves. A card saying love you Daddy. Who cares, someone thought about me.

I don't need more than that.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
I'm pretty sure I would decorate, even if I were alone. It's just so nice sitting beside the Christmas tree every evening. Love it.
Ditto! There's something comforting about a home being decorated for Christmas. I love when I'm home alone and have all the lights from the trees, trinkets, candles and other decor lit.