tearing down cultural norms

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
New York court allows uncle and niece to marry

On Wednesday,the New York ruled that an uncle can legally marry his niece. Via the New York Post:

The state’s highest court has toppled a cultural taboo — legalizing a degree of incest, at least between an uncle and niece — in a unanimous ruling.

Ever since our nation began its nonsensical march towards cultural perdition via homosexual marriage, social conservatives have pointed out that this has nothing to do with equality, because such relationship can never be anymore “marriage” than it can make the participant the king and queen of Great Britain, but rather it strikes not only at the building block of civil society, the family, but at the authority of the state to regulate marriage, a power than has generally been held by a sovereign of some sort since the dawn of human pre-history.

Once marriage acquires the status as a “right,” which it has never, ever been, then any law that affects that right negatively becomes virtually impossible to defend.

glhs837

Power with Control
I did, but it's calrity wasnt very good. I think this was perhaps "I need to marry a citizen, and Uncle Vinh is the only one I can find on short notice", or, seeing the half brother angle, maybe they dont share DNA? Or is it a combo of the two?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I did, but it's calrity wasnt very good. I think this was perhaps "I need to marry a citizen, and Uncle Vinh is the only one I can find on short notice", or, seeing the half brother angle, maybe they dont share DNA? Or is it a combo of the two?

Or it is a cultural thing with them. Or, it used to be legal in NY prior to 1900. Or this was simply a really good spot for a judge to JUDGE and tell them to go forth and whomever filed the suit to STFU.

What it is not is any sort of cogent, reasonable argument of 'oh my lord ma, look what they done to 'ol Duke now????" cultural decay piece. Simply more pointless chicken little horse-crap which is why we're stuck in a rut...because we choose to be.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Why does everyone assume that just because two people are married, they are having sex? There are a number of reasons why someone would be married but not romantically involved with their spouse.

Regardless, this is just more voyeurism control from the Right. Get a life, people, and stop worrying about things that don't concern you.

glhs837

Power with Control
Why does everyone assume that just because two people are married, they are having sex? There are a number of reasons why someone would be married but not romantically involved with their spouse.

Regardless, this is just more voyeurism control from the Right. Get a life, people, and stop worrying about things that don't concern you.

Well, if they are using mariage to circumvent immgration law, then it's not voyeruism is it?

SamSpade

Right. It's why the "honeymoon suite" is packed with just video games.

It's a *reasonable* assumption about marriage since, oh, about the time it was invented.
There are exceptions to every situation, but it's not a strange assumption.

Well, with that I do largely agree.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Well, if they are using mariage to circumvent immgration law,

Petition Congress to change the law. Currently it says that anyone who marries a US citizen is eligible for citizenship. That has always been the case, at least as long as I can remember, and marrying for a green card is as old as time.

glhs837

Power with Control
Petition Congress to change the law. Currently it says that anyone who marries a US citizen is eligible for citizenship. That has always been the case, at least as long as I can remember, and marrying for a green card is as old as time.

Sure is, as is being prosecuted in the state can prove it was a sham marriage for that reason only.

SamSpade

The law is not that lax, and they do check for "marriage fraud".
One consequence is that if fraud is found, the immigrating spouse will be banned from immigrating - for good.
It is seriously not that easy to marry a non-US citizen and have them live here.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

I used to wonder why people referred to the right as reactionaries and I never liked that term, being a self identifying righty, as it implies mindless thugs that attack anything that isn't THEM. Kill it first, think about it later.

That's all we do; react.

stgislander

PREMO Member
SamSpade said:
;It is seriously not that easy to marry a non-US citizen and have them live here.

I can attest to that. A young guy I know married a Canadian girl. He is with her in Canada now because of the difficulties getting her into the US.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I can attest to that. A young guy I know married a Canadian girl. He is with her in Canada now because of the difficulties getting her into the US.

And we on the right react to illegal immigration;

"Go do it LEGALLY you lazy non white beaner bums!!!!!!" as though it is easy, reasonable or thought out in any way, shape or form. Or a matter of skin color.

SamSpade

And we on the right react to illegal immigration;

"Go do it LEGALLY you lazy non white beaner bums!!!!!!" as though it is easy, reasonable or thought out in any way, shape or form. Or a matter of skin color.

Actually, that's exactly why it pisses us off - because someone stands in a long line and has done reams of paperwork - and someone cuts in line and gets in for free.

That should piss anyone off.

Try to imagine someone passing themselves off as a doctor without any college or medical school or residency - and the state says, ok, but just this one time.
It should piss off anyone that someone gets away with fraud - it's slapping the face of those who respected the laws - which are THERE BECAUSE people break them so often but we haven't shown the fortitude to kick their asses when they do.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Actually, that's exactly why it pisses us off - because someone stands in a long line and has done reams of paperwork - and someone cuts in line and gets in for free.

That should piss anyone off.

Try to imagine someone passing themselves off as a doctor without any college or medical school or residency - and the state says, ok, but just this one time.
It should piss off anyone that someone gets away with fraud - it's slapping the face of those who respected the laws - which are THERE BECAUSE people break them so often but we haven't shown the fortitude to kick their asses when they do.

US immigration policy is a burger joint with one grill, one clerk and one guy in the back who cooks, sweeps, does the fries and dumps the trash with a line out front waiting to be served that stretches from here Peru and both responsible parties like it that way.

It is not reasonable. It is not thoughtful. It is a disaster and the results are predictable and understandable. To sit there and say it is an insult to the 1 per, what, 100,000? Worse? That do it properly is to totally miss the point. It is an insult to the rule of law and any idea of fairness or justice.

SamSpade

It is not reasonable. It is not thoughtful. It is a disaster and the results are predictable and understandable. To sit there and say it is an insult to the 1 per, what, 100,000? Worse? That do it properly is to totally miss the point. It is an insult to the rule of law and any idea of fairness or justice.

And yet it still manages to confer citizenship to 3/4 of a million people a year. That one guy deserves a freaking medal if he can do that.

I've been through this gauntlet, both with my children, and with various members of my extended family. It IS worth it. It IS hard. It is NOT right or justified for people to just out and out break the law and expect to be granted citizenship anyway. You should see how hard it is to gain citizenship elsewhere. Heck, just getting a visa can be hard enough. When we were in Russia and Ethiopia, there were lines way out the door every day and most of them were people hoping to get a visa just to COME here and work for a while.

Don't we like to say we're a nation of laws? So why is flouting the law justifiable?

glhs837

Power with Control
US immigration policy is a burger joint with one grill, one clerk and one guy in the back who cooks, sweeps, does the fries and dumps the trash with a line out front waiting to be served that stretches from here Peru and both responsible parties like it that way.

And how do we deal with inadequate laws? Not by breaking them, right? A crappy policy/law isnt an excuse to break the law. Agreed, our economy has a burning need for immigrant labor, and our immigration policy won't allow the numbers we need to be here legally. But at the same time, anarchy isn't the answer.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
And how do we deal with inadequate laws? Not by breaking them, right? A crappy policy/law isnt an excuse to break the law. Agreed, our economy has a burning need for immigrant labor, and our immigration policy won't allow the numbers we need to be here legally. But at the same time, anarchy isn't the answer.

We are American's, damnit. In my view, there should, at the very least, be a tinge of affection for ANYONE who sticks it to The Man, steps out of their lane a bit, wears a T shirt with a hand flipping the bird colored in red, white and blue American gahtdamn flag. America IS Revolution. America IS the individual. We should hate a John Rockefeller. We should throw tomatoes at any President. We should see factories as prisons with loose work release programs. Cubicles as the daily 8 hour lock up. Our founders did NOT, in my view, create this nation, defy a kind, THE king, flip him off and go through all that pain and suffering so we could, above all things, follow the ####ing law.

The law is fine. It is necessary. BUT, there is the spirit as well as the letter of the law and balance is in order.

You SHOULD get a bit of a thrill when your roar past a cop going over the limit. And a bigger one when you realize you got away with it.
You SHOULD look for every last deduction you can find and, when in doubt, take it, on your taxes.
You SHOULD consider crossing the street at the corner and at the direction of the lights and stuff as simply suggestions.
No, I am NOT for anarchy. By and large we should all follow the law most of the time and in most cases to the best of our ability but, for the love of Butch and Sundance and Bonnie and Clyde and Robin Hood and rich guys who quit school and women from poor backgrounds who built their own little on line mom and pop shop and MADE it work while raising two great kids instead of doing what was expected of them, bend it a little once in awhile if for no other reason than to say thanks to George and Ben and John and Thomas and Alex and the rest of the crew AND their wives. And girlfriends.

Our immigration policy is absolutely ####ed up beyond all repair.

“When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law.”

Frederick Bastiat

Larry Gude

Strung Out

Our economy has NO need for immigrant labor.

400,000 mend died and millions more were crippled for life to make the world, part of it anyway, safe for democracy. Their kids started a little revolution of their own, the 60's. Those people had kids who decided that 4, 5 and 6 kids was too many. 2 was fine. We put ourselves on a demographic glide slope whereby the next generation would have a good amount of power in the market place and be able to command better wages from the titans of wall street and their ideological spawn who want nothing but to control everyone else.

That gift, that advantage has been stolen from this generation by us by allowing illegals to rob them of their ability to command, in a free market, as much money as it took to get them to wash dishes or tend a register or mow a lawn.

We STOLE that from them.