Coin Flip TIme: Where To Spend Christmas/New Year's

DEEKAYPEE8569

Nashville? A friend offered to take us half way; Brother to take us the rest of the way. It will be the first time without Dad.
(I would drive, but I've dozed off behind the wheel during long road trips before)

OR

Fly to California? Aunt's & Uncles on Mom's side of the family offered to buy Mom's and my tickets. Also, first time without Dad.
Opinions?

DEEKAYPEE8569

Need more data.

Where will you have the most fun?

Well, the Nieces/Nephews are in Nashville. It's always fun to "spoil" them; well.....as much as we can afford to; both from an Uncle perspective and I'm sure from a Grandparental perspective.

The last time I/We were in California in December was back in '97 when Grandma passed; and again in '03; before Christmas, when Grampa passed. This time, it would be because Dad has passed; and everybody in CA thinks it would be good for Mom/Us to come out there because they all accepted and got along with Dad; 'the one big white guy' in the family; and because none of them could come out here for his Memorial.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Well, the Nieces/Nephews are in Nashville. It's always fun to "spoil" them; well.....as much as we can afford to; both from an Uncle perspective and I'm sure from a Grandparental perspective.

The last time I/We were in California in December was back in '97 when Grandma passed; and again in '03; before Christmas, when Grampa passed. This time, it would be because Dad has passed; and everybody in CA thinks it would be good for Mom/Us to come out there because they all accepted and got along with Dad; 'the one big white guy' in the family; and because none of them could come out here for his Memorial.

What do YOU think about you going to Cali?

DEEKAYPEE8569

What do YOU think about you going to Cali?

Other than Dad not being there too; I think it would, at the very least, be different; never spent Christmas out there with that side of the family; it's always been here in MD or; since my Brother moved to Nashville; in TN. Besides that, I have enough leave on the books to go both places. Money to do both though.....well, maybe; since we don't have to buy tickets to Cali. I don't know.....

Mom barked at me Saturday, "Well what do you want to do?!" So, I said, 'Well, we've never spent Christmas out west.....so I guess.....California .'
I just don't like being the deciding factor; never have. Like I said though, I've got the vacation time; I could actually go to both places. Cali for Christmas/New Years'; then stop for a week or two in TN on the way back to MD.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Other than Dad not being there too; I think it would, at the very least, be different; never spent Christmas out there with that side of the family; it's always been here in MD or; since my Brother moved to Nashville; in TN. Besides that, I have enough leave on the books to go both places. Money to do both though.....well, maybe; since we don't have to buy tickets to Cali. I don't know.....

Mom barked at me Saturday, "Well what do you want to do?!" So, I said, 'Well, we've never spent Christmas out west.....so I guess.....California .'
I just don't like being the deciding factor; never have. Like I said though, I've got the vacation time; I could actually go to both places. Cali for Christmas/New Years'; then stop for a week or two in TN on the way back to MD.

So, let us know how that 'ol coin toss comes out. :lol:

Roman

I think your Mother can use some R&R in California. She'd probably love to go to both places, and if it can be arranged, I'd do both. If she has Sisters, and Brothers in Cali. this could be a great trip for her.

Hey, DK. It sounds like you are used to being the youngin' of the family who just goes with the flow. With you dad gone now I'm thinking your mom is looking for you to step up and be the decision maker in lots of things now. She needs you to "man up" and take the ropes. I'm sure she'll speak up when she wants something specific. Yes, you lost a dad but she's lost so much more by losing a spouse... the person that she's spent so many years partnering with when it came to some decisions and completely counting on when it came to making others. Ya know what I mean?

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Hey, DK. It sounds like you are used to being the youngin' of the family who just goes with the flow. With you dad gone now I'm thinking your mom is looking for you to step up and be the decision maker in lots of things now. She needs you to "man up" and take the ropes. I'm sure she'll speak up when she wants something specific. Yes, you lost a dad but she's lost so much more by losing a spouse... the person that she's spent so many years partnering with when it came to some decisions and completely counting on when it came to making others. Ya know what I mean?

I think you're on point with this, Kwillia. :yay:

I'd vote for CA, as they're paying for the tickets and it's further away.

DEEKAYPEE8569

We're talking California on the left coast; the place we would only get to once every few years. Now would be an opportune time to go; and I told Mom that.

Dad was the rock of the family. He worked his a** off to support us. He (and Mom) dealt with my Brother's and my medical issues together and never once did either of them split when it got tough. Growing up, I remember shouting matches, but that's all it ever was. A LOT of yelling.

Their 48th anniversary was NOV 10th. Mom was closed off, so I let her be.