Grand Jury Outdated

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Chris Cuomo, reporting live from Ferguson, asserted that "the grand jury itself is a dinosaur," and pointed out that "the prosecutor could still bring charges even after the grand jury."

Cuomo added that "one of the major complaints from sober minds here in Ferguson was that...if this prosecutor wanted to bring a case, he would just have brought it himself – that this was punting. You keep hearing the term 'punting' – to put this on a grand jury."

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/matthe...erguson-prosecutor-should-overrule-grand-jury

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
The key point all those morons are totally missing is that, under "normal" circumstances, the prosecutor would not have brought charges in this matter and would not (normally) have brought it to a GJ either. It is unethical behavior by a prosecutor to charge someone for a crime, when the prosecutor is in possession of clear evidence that the charges are unfounded and would never result in a conviction.

There is no way this could have satisfied the race-baiters and rabble rousers. Can you imagine the "hue and cry" had the prosecutor simply announced that, in view of the clear evidence in hand, there was no crime and no charges would be filed. That is what he "would" have done under normal circumstances.

Last edited:

Midnightrider

The key point all those morons are totally missing is that, under "normal" circumstances, the prosecutor would not have brought charges in this matter and would not (normally) have brought it to a GJ either. It is unethical behavior by a prosecutor to charge someone for a crime, when the prosecutor is in possession of clear evidence that the charges are unfounded and would never result in a conviction.

then the prosecutor should not have given this to the grand jury..... He should have made the decision and not "gone through the motions" with a grand jury he didn't think should indict.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
then the prosecutor should not have given this to the grand jury..... He should have made the decision and not "gone through the motions" with a grand jury he didn't think should indict.

Exactly. But then even more of Ferguson would be rubble than is now.

Midnightrider

Exactly. But then even more of Ferguson would be rubble than is now.

I doubt it. If this was handled in a straightforward manner i thinks things wouldn't have had a chance to buil dinto the cluster that it became.

Instead you had 3 months of people expecting to get the shaft and then they were not disapointed. This could have and should have been handled with the same presss conference, by the same prosecutor, without a GJ 3 months ago. less spin, less race baiting, and likely less distruction and minimal protests.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

Thus the politics of political correctness where, even if you are a good guy, totally above board, as everything about this guys reputation suggests, including his re-election, several times, there is no 'right'; there is only the hope you're going to be judged, over time, to have done the best you could or, the least worse. They knew, at the time, this thing was going nowhere but, there was already unrest to consider.
So, what to do? Put it ALL out there.

:shrug:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I doubt it. If this was handled in a straightforward manner i thinks things wouldn't have had a chance to buil dinto the cluster that it became.

I don't know how you can say that with any confidence. At the time, there was already the narrative, the flat our lies, that Brown had his hands up and was executed. That he was shot in the back. And the media, with Al Sharpton and his action network going to work in the background, even harder than the Treyvon mess, stirring ####.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

Instead you had 3 months of people expecting to get the shaft and then they were not disapointed. This could have and should have been handled with the same presss conference, by the same prosecutor, without a GJ 3 months ago. less spin, less race baiting, and likely less distruction and minimal protests.

I completely doubt that. Would have been same or worse, IMO. But that is also worthless conjecture....and they are burning down plenty of the neighborhood as things are now.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

It would have most likely been worse because then "they" could say that racism caused the prosecutor to not even bring the case before a grand jury.

If the grand jury had allowed the case to go to trial, the only acceptable outcome would have been to find the cop guilty. Otherwise "they" would say that the jury was racist.

See how that works?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I completely doubt that. Would have been same or worse, IMO. But that is also worthless conjecture....and they are burning down plenty of the neighborhood as things are now.

They burn down the 'hood when they're happy about something.

There was a story in the Post today about a cake shop lady whose business was destroyed by vandals and thugs, and the Post was trying to make it sound like it was the grand jury's fault. :lol:

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member

This is apparent now, but at the time it seemed like the best idea. How was he to know that BO was going to insinuate himself into the situation, then after Holder showed up it was all but unkillable.

tom88

This is a common practice to take a case, especially a case involving a police officer to the grand jury when the officer claims he was acting in the preformance of his duty and there are conflicting statements. People's public statements and their statements under oath or affirmation in the grand jury are often not the same. This prosecutor did his due diligence in this case by ensuring all of the evidence was presented.

I think those who are unhappy about this event should look towards the person who precipitated this violence. His name is Michael Brown.

Hijinx

This is a common practice to take a case, especially a case involving a police officer to the grand jury when the officer claims he was acting in the preformance of his duty and there are conflicting statements. People's public statements and their statements under oath or affirmation in the grand jury are often not the same. This prosecutor did his due diligence in this case by ensuring all of the evidence was presented.

I think those who are unhappy about this event should look towards the person who precipitated this violence. His name is Michael Brown.

Let me say what we all ( IMO ) know.
There were going to be riots.

I believe they would have been worse if not for the cooling down period.

I believe there would have been less problems if Jesse and Al had not shown up with the media in tow.

IMO when there is a controversial shooting. Jesse and Al should be arrested when they fly in for incitement to riot.

USWWarrior

It's a Jeep thang!
If the grand jury had allowed the case to go to trial, the only acceptable outcome would have been to find the cop guilty. Otherwise "they" would say that the jury was racist.

See how that works?

A part of me wishes it had gone to trial. Then ALL would have been front and center. The theft of cigars, the marijuana in the blood, the witnesses being identified and giving their story under oath in full view of all of America.

The Brown family is probably grateful in private that this didn't go to trial. Trust me, a good defense lawyer for Officer Wilson would have brought it all out in the open. (depending on what the Judge allowed).

The sadness is a young life was lost. The tragedy is that we are now a society of "blame someone else" for our own faults. That mentality starts from the top.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
IMHO, I think the Brown family will keep this going instead of just facing the reality that their spawn was a thug and got what he deserved. They wouldn't be caught dead eating crow now and admit that they were wrong about their perfect little angel.

tom88

A part of me wishes it had gone to trial. Then ALL would have been front and center. The theft of cigars, the marijuana in the blood, the witnesses being identified and giving their story under oath in full view of all of America.

The Brown family is probably grateful in private that this didn't go to trial. Trust me, a good defense lawyer for Officer Wilson would have brought it all out in the open. (depending on what the Judge allowed).

Part of me wishes this went to trial, and if I were Officer Wilson I would want it to go to trial now. There is nothing which would prevent a corrupt states attorney in the future from charging this crime. If I were Wilson, I would want the criminal portion of this matter to be done with!