Tablet for kids

MarieB

I've done my research, and I still cannot decide. I'm almost ready to bag the whole idea for Christmas. Any recommendations?

Kindle fire HD looks nice as far as parental controls, proce, has a case, and also has a warranty - but it only has 8gb of storage and not slot for expansion. It also looks like you have to pay for apps which are free on the ipad.

There are more, all with pros and cons

http://www.pcmag.com/slideshow/story/305700/the-top-tablets-for-your-kids

http://www.gizmag.com/kids-tablet-buying-guide-2014/34820/

They (5 and 8) are used to using my ipad and also have very old iPod/iPhone Will the 8 yr old tire of a kid's tablet? I'm not keen in the dreamworks one wth all of the advertising. I didn't want to spring for a mini, but I wonder if its better in the long run? I am concerned about durability. My ipad hasn't held up well

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I've done my research, and I still cannot decide. I'm almost ready to bag the whole idea for Christmas. Any recommendations?

Kindle fire HD looks nice as far as parental controls, proce, has a case, and also has a warranty - but it only has 8gb of storage and not slot for expansion. It also looks like you have to pay for apps which are free on the ipad.

There are more, all with pros and cons

http://www.pcmag.com/slideshow/story/305700/the-top-tablets-for-your-kids

http://www.gizmag.com/kids-tablet-buying-guide-2014/34820/

They (5 and 8) are used to using my ipad and also have very old iPod/iPhone Will the 8 yr old tire of a kid's tablet? I'm not keen in the dreamworks one wth all of the advertising. I didn't want to spring for a mini, but I wonder if its better in the long run? I am concerned about durability. My ipad hasn't held up well

I might not be much help, because my chilrens are long since grown and they never had Tablets. HOWEVER, Thing1 was always and is still, very hard on electronics, so my #1 point comes from that experience. :lol:

My key points to consider would be:

1)How durable is the product? How will it be with *your kid. The one who is using it, in particular. If you were going to go with a kid's Tablet vs. a regular Tablet, I always found V-Tech products to be very durable for Thing1. Well worth the money to me.

2)Parental controls. Almost as important as how durable it will be, IMO. You need to be able to control their access to whatever they will access.

With Thing1 it's been a learning process ...and has cost HIM a lot of money. :lol: I say that because HE has had to replace every electronic he has broken after the initial one was purchased (usually as a gift). To this day, I also make him purchase the "replacement" plan when he buys something - that's why we like Best Buy - for their replacement plan on his iPod, as well as his new laptop.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm getting my grandson a Kindle Fire made specifically for kids, with a tougher case and terrific warranty/replacement deal.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LOR524M/ref=fs_ket

Kindle has MANY! free apps, especially games and goofy stuff kids will like. Plus they get a generous credit in the Amazon app store in case they want something that costs.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
PS, with Kindle you'll store most of your stuff in the Cloud, so 8G should be plenty of space.

MarieB

I might not be much help, because my chilrens are long since grown and they never had Tablets. HOWEVER, Thing1 was always and is still, very hard on electronics, so my #1 point comes from that experience. :lol:

My key points to consider would be:

1)How durable is the product? How will it be with *your kid. The one who is using it, in particular. If you were going to go with a kid's Tablet vs. a regular Tablet, I always found V-Tech products to be very durable for Thing1. Well worth the money to me.

2)Parental controls. Almost as important as how durable it will be, IMO. You need to be able to control their access to whatever they will access.

With Thing1 it's been a learning process ...and has cost HIM a lot of money. :lol: I say that because HE has had to replace every electronic he has broken after the initial one was purchased (usually as a gift). To this day, I also make him purchase the "replacement" plan when he buys something - that's why we like Best Buy - for their replacement plan on his iPod, as well as his new laptop.

Thanks Bann! After being spoiled from the ipad, I didn't really consider the vtech. I don't think they would really use it

MarieB

I'm getting my grandson a Kindle Fire made specifically for kids, with a tougher case and terrific warranty/replacement deal.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LOR524M/ref=fs_ket

Kindle has MANY! free apps, especially games and goofy stuff kids will like. Plus they get a generous credit in the Amazon app store in case they want something that costs.

That's the one I was considering. How old is the grandson?

I did not know about the cloud! Thanks so much. None of the reviewers mentioned that.

I kinda worry about updates too. I can't even update the iOS on my ipad because there is not enough memory.

Bann

PREMO Member
Thanks Bann! After being spoiled from the ipad, I didn't really consider the vtech. I don't think they would really use it

:yay: I gotcha, you're probably right. Whatever you get, they probably have an "Otter Box" type of protective cover to keep it from cracking, etc.

Having not researched any of them myself, I like Vrai's idea of the Kindle Fire for kids. :yay:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
That's the one I was considering. How old is the grandson?

He's 6.

The 4.4G is for storage and the rest is system files. The cloud is unlimited, I believe. But even 4G is good for what he'll use it for. If you go to Amazon you can see the reviews.

KDENISE977

Avoid the Nabi, did all the research last year, still can't figure the damn thing out and the kid can figure out one maybe two games/apps to play with it.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
We went the ipad with otterbox route for my 6 yr old. My neices have Nabis and used them for maybe a year. Some of the reviews I read about kids kindle sort of steered me away because of how much system memory Amazon Free Time takes up. BUT I do admit I was intrigued by the time controls of the Kindle for Kids (Which BTW is just a basic Kindle 6 or 7). Checked out the Samsung Galaxy 8.4, which I really liked, but decided that he has grown more accustomed the ipad interface (took over my LW's) and didn't want to have to deal with that learning curve.

We went to buy the device from Staples because they had a great price on it but we had to order it from the store. Well Staples was sold out so we took the sale ad over to Best Buy, they price matched and we got it for a significant savings. Moral of the story: Most stores price match brick and mortar stores and some will even price match internet pricing. Save some $$$ and get want they or you really want.

lovinmaryland

We went the ipad with otterbox route for my 6 yr old. My neices have Nabis and used them for maybe a year. Some of the reviews I read about kids kindle sort of steered me away because of how much system memory Amazon Free Time takes up. BUT I do admit I was intrigued by the time controls of the Kindle for Kids (Which BTW is just a basic Kindle 6 or 7). Checked out the Samsung Galaxy 8.4, which I really liked, but decided that he has grown more accustomed the ipad interface (took over my LW's) and didn't want to have to deal with that learning curve.

We went to buy the device from Staples because they had a great price on it but we had to order it from the store. Well Staples was sold out so we took the sale ad over to Best Buy, they price matched and we got it for a significant savings. Moral of the story: Most stores price match brick and mortar stores and some will even price match internet pricing. Save some $$$ and get want they or you really want.

Ok so they do make the otterbox cases for the iPads. My cousin got 2 of them this year for her kids and I was thinking oh my lord those are going to break super easy. But if she gets them one of those otterbox cases that would be the ticket. Those otterboxes are awesome! :yay:

KDENISE977

Ok so they do make the otterbox cases for the iPads. My cousin got 2 of them this year for her kids and I was thinking oh my lord those are going to break super easy. But if she gets them one of those otterbox cases that would be the ticket. Those otterboxes are awesome! :yay:

Yes. They make otter box for iPads. I love love love mine !!!

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Any recommendations for something like this for a toddler? Pickle has a cow when he can't have one of our ipads when we're trying to use it. We have to hide when we want to use one, or he climbs all over us, then kicks and screams when he doesn't get his way. I don't mind the kicking and screaming, but he's so fascinated that I'd like to get him something that he can play games on. We have apps on our ipads that he can play, but we're afraid he's going to break one. He has managed to lock up each of them at least once.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Any recommendations for something like this for a toddler? Pickle has a cow when he can't have one of our ipads when we're trying to use it. We have to hide when we want to use one, or he climbs all over us, then kicks and screams when he doesn't get his way. I don't mind the kicking and screaming, but he's so fascinated that I'd like to get him something that he can play games on. We have apps on our ipads that he can play, but we're afraid he's going to break one. He has managed to lock up each of them at least once.
This is a cheap tablet. Can't offer any opinion on it, but for a toddler I think it would be okay. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IKPYKWG...rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=1999701122&pf_rd_i=desktop

Bann

PREMO Member