Stupid People Driving in Snow with 4wd

PeoplesElbow

Wednesday I traversed across Maryland, west on I-70 to Rt 68 in places the snow was quite bad even on the major interstates. In my front wheel drive Ford Fusion I was fine, there were places where I didn't get to go above 35 mph. Of course there were the normal morons in 4wds that weren't happy with how fast traffic was moving. Over the 350 mile drive I counted 7 vehicles off the road of them 5 were 4wd trucks, one Subaru Outback, and one Cadillac CTS.

Four Wheel Drive does not make you stop faster you morons. I am sure when St Marys gets a snow we will again witness the same thing....again.

Hijinx

4 wheel drive is good for getting you moving.
It is good in deep snow or in a muddy environment.

Once moving and on the road it is sometimes an impediment.

And you are correct. it doesn't stop you any faster.

dan0623_2000

Don't you know it is 4WD drivers god given right to drive like moroons and us mere mortals with 2WD are suppose to get out of their way and to render all assistance as needed when they run off the road?

This.

Attachments

• Brace.jpg
    Brace.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 338

DEEKAYPEE8569

Do you have a printer?

If so you can buy paper that makes transferable pictures. They don't stand up to a whole lot of washing though.

Shirts with anything on them; like print or transferables never do hold up well. It was just an off-the-cuff comment, but still something to consider.

edinsomd

Don't you know it is 4WD drivers god given right to drive like moroons and us mere mortals with 2WD are suppose to get out of their way and to render all assistance as needed when they run off the road?

Well, yeah! Stay outta the way of the 4Runner and we'll get along just fine.

J/K, of course. When I was first stationed in Brunswick, Maine, I had a Firebird with Florida plates. When it got all snowy, everybody stayed away from me on the roads....

rottenredhead

Oldie w/newbie name
Something needs to happen in Chuck County so i can test out (learn to drive) my 4 wheel drive. Give me snow and/or mud. NOW. I'll give fair warning so everyone stays off the roads while I go crazy.

JoshN

Nothing to do with the poster directly above me

Engaged 4wd has no business on pavement anyway. It is designed to give you traction off-road and keep you moving forward. In case you haven't noticed (for those who think their big bad 4wd mom-mobile is designed to get them to the mall faster) the front end will skip on pavement which is damaging your vehicle (perception of this is minimized by computer controls on newer vehicles but it still happens you just can't feel it). AWD is a different story altogether and designed to provide you traction on pavement and in MILD off pavement situations (dirt road). It is also always engaged. Bigger heavier vehicles have a harder time stopping when pavement gets slick and guess what, 4 tires spinning on ice is no better that 2 tires spinning on ice. You want to drive through snow better? Get snow tires. My 22 year old Landcruiser is full time 4wd and it handles no better in the snow (on the roads) than my 3 year old Prius. In fact it is harder to stop in almost every situation, but damn she can climb a wall and tow a barn off-road. Anyone who actually wants to learn how to drive in 4wd, off-road like it is meant to be used; try Red-Cloud Off-road in Woodbridge, they have a 200 acre off-road park that most stock 4wd vehicles can handle.

However, as soon as it snows there will be hundreds on jeeps on the road that never see off pavement and they will all be in 4wd sliding around. I'll wave as I pass you in my Prius, or if you are real lucky I might be driving my truck someplace and take a few minutes to yank your dumbass out. But don't judge all 4wd owners by those who drive them out of fashionability. I have never delivered my kid to soccer practice in my truck :D

Last edited: