AP Warns Black Friday Means 'Perfect Storm' of Gun Buying -

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
AP Warns Black Friday Means 'Perfect Storm' of Gun Buying

The liberals at Associated Press have a special reason to freak out over Black Friday: it’s a huge day for gun sales, and the background-checks system is severely tested. AP writer Nick Stroud even found space for the noting it’s a “perfect storm,” like the disastrous ship-sinking movie.

The volume of sales means some purchasers “beat the system,” meaning there are only three business days for a background check:

In the U.S., there are nine guns for every 10 people. Someone is killed with a firearm every 16 minutes. And every minute, gun shops make about 40 new requests for criminal background checks on people wanting weapons.

On Black Friday, the rush accelerates to nearly two checks a second, testing the limits of the National Instant Criminal Background Check System.

"We have a perfect storm coming," says Kimberly Del Greco, a manager in the FBI division that helps run the system, known as NICS.

Much of the responsibility for preventing criminals and the mentally ill from buying guns is shouldered by about 500 men and women who run the system from inside the FBI's criminal justice center, a gray office building with concrete walls and mirrored windows just outside Bridgeport, West Virginia.

Granted a rare glimpse into the inner workings of the NICS, The Associated Press was able to see first-hand why 512 gun sales a day effectively beat the system last year.

By federal law, NICS researchers must race against the clock: They have until the end of the third business day following an attempted firearm purchase to determine whether or not a buyer is eligible. After that, buyers can legally get their guns, whether or not the check was completed.

This clock ran out more than 186,000 times last year.

BOP

In the U.S., there are nine guns for every 10 people. Someone is killed with a firearm every 16 minutes. And every minute, gun shops make about 40 new requests for criminal background checks on people wanting weapons.

I suck at math, but that's 30,000+ people killed every year, if my calculations are right. Somebody ought to look into that.

Hijinx

I suck at math, but that's 30,000+ people killed every year, if my calculations are right. Somebody ought to look into that.

The author of this article should have looked up how many of those 30,000 are killed with legally owned guns .