Tire pressure PSA from your Board Dummy

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Problem: my tire pressure light came on; I went the BJs and 1 tire was a little low, so I filled it and made sure that all four tires were at 32psi; tire pressure light stayed on.

I googled and there were posts about how there's a battery or some such that needs replacing. So I called Toyota and made an appointment to take the car in. I get there today and when I was checking in:

Her: Did you check the spare tire as well?
Me: ... ... ...
Her: :eyebrow:
Me: :shrug:

The minute she said that I knew that's what the problem was. I knew it was something stupid, just didn't think it would be *that* stupid.

So, short story: When checking the air in your tires, don't forget about your spare.

:lol:

DEEKAYPEE8569

Problem: my tire pressure light came on; I went the BJs and 1 tire was a little low, so I filled it and made sure that all four tires were at 32psi; tire pressure light stayed on.

I googled and there were posts about how there's a battery or some such that needs replacing. So I called Toyota and made an appointment to take the car in. I get there today and when I was checking in:

The minute she said that I knew that's what the problem was. I knew it was something stupid, just didn't think it would be *that* stupid.

So, short story: When checking the air in your tires, don't forget about your spare.

We often forget about the ol' spare til we're stranded somewhere; take it out; only to find it's flat. :eyebrow:
Actually, I'm glad you posted this. I've never checked my spare.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed

We prolly passed you at the Toyota dealership.

I had to pay over $1,100 for some needed repairs. Right after Thanksgiving and before Christmas.

Yep, I'm thankful. :sarcasm:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Glad to know it's not just me.

When it first came on, Monello took the car to Sheetz and checked the tires, gave them a little top off. Still on. So I checked them a few days later. Still on.

Neither of us thought to check the spare. :doh:

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member

When it first came on, Monello took the car to Sheetz and checked the tires, gave them a little top off. Still on. So I checked them a few days later. Still on.

Your car has a spare tire? Who knew? Damn the things I learn on the forums.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

Should have asked.. just did this with Tracey ' s "truck". Biggest issue was the tire sits under the truck, and the valve was pointing up.. had to drop the tire to fill it..

DEEKAYPEE8569

Just had a thought. Yup.....me.....
Many of today's cars have TPMS, aka tire pressure monitoring system. There is information about it in the owner's manual and there are Youtube videos that tell you how to set it; but they don't mention anything about the spare tire. Go figger.....

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
I learned the hard way that the sensors in the valve stems go bad as well. If all of your tires are up to pressure but the light stays on, you should have the tire guys check the TPM (tire pressure management) components themselves.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I'd have never known this! My car is a 2000 model, and as far as I know, there are no indicators to tell me that my tire pressure is low. I don't know how this would work on a spare tire - how does it know?!

glhs837

Power with Control
Most cars they just read signal, they don't pin down location. The ones that so either have the signals coded per tire, our like mine, they have a receiver at each wheel

MarieB

Haven't read the whole thread yet, but those sensors will also come on when it goes from being warm to very cold

glhs837

Power with Control
And when they do, please adjust your tire pressure. They are coming in because every 10 degrees in temp drop means a 1-2 psi drop in your tire pressure. So if you filled them in August after driving even 15 minutes, right now get could be 6-10 psi low. And that's bad

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
I've been told the tire pressure management tires filled with nitrogen. Supposedly, the nitrogen is less impacted by large swings in ambient temperature. Or not.

glhs837

Power with Control
You can get tires filled with nitrogen, and compared to air that has a high moisture content, it will be less affected. But if you fill your tire with dry air, which most garages and modern gas station pumps produce, then they will be affected identically.

MarieB

And when they do, please adjust your tire pressure. They are coming in because every 10 degrees in temp drop means a 1-2 psi drop in your tire pressure. So if you filled them in August after driving even 15 minutes, right now get could be 6-10 psi low. And that's bad

Yeah, it's happened to me twice. I took it to a tire place (here and in TX) and they fixed it up

Popster

Should have asked.. just did this with Tracey ' s "truck". Biggest issue was the tire sits under the truck, and the valve was pointing up.. had to drop the tire to fill it..

Next time just lower the spare to the ground, turn it over, wind it back up. Then you can just fill it with no hassles.