How long between lost critter to when it may get put down?

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I was talking to someone about just how fast your pet can end up put down at a shelter. Let's say you go out-of-town for 1 week. The same day you leave town the caretaker of your pet accidentally leaves the door/gate open and your pet runs off. Said pet gets picked up or turned in to the shelter that same day. The stray hold starts ticking ....... Does anyone know the stray hold time at the local shelters? Like Tri-County ... I think theirs is 5 or 7 days?

It is very possible you'd never see your pet again if the shelter is busy and puts down a lot of critters. This make me very sad to think the owner doesn't even know their pet is missing sometimes .... I always go back to Boxy. Boxy was care about by someone. They taught him basic obedience, how to shake hands, and roll over also. I still think some sad person is out there that has no idea what became of their doggie.

R

rhenderson

That's why you should have your pets "chipped". The shelters check strays for chips and follow up to try to locate/contact the owner.

Roman

That's why you should have your pets "chipped". The shelters check strays for chips and follow up to try to locate/contact the owner.
I think all animals (Cats & Dogs) should be chipped. When you get an animal chipped, they ask you for your contact numbers, one of which has to be a person that doesn't reside in the house hold. I'm not sure, but I think there is a 5 day hold for an animal at the shelter, after that, it's put up for adoption for 3 days . I am guessing.

nobody really

I need a nap
I haven't call them to verify, but I thought tri-county was 72 hours for a stray pickup, and 7 days for a drop off before they meet their maker.

I haven't call them to verify, but I thought tri-county was 72 hours for a stray pickup, and 7 days for a drop off before they meet their maker.
I believe it's the reverse because a drop of from the owner is voluntary thus the shorter hold time.