I've been RACK'd!!

SG_Player1974

The family and I were out shopping yesterday evening and when we returned to our vehicle, I noticed that there was something under the windshield wiper. As I pulled it off the blade, I handed it to the wife who opened it.

Low and behold it was a small angel tree ornament with a few small candy canes and a note.

The note read "You have been RACK'd (Random Act of Christmas Kindness)." It went on to explain their act of generosity and encouraged us to continue it.

To whomever started and/or left it..... I will BE SURE to pass on the generosity!

I would be completely suspicious and would have driven to another location within the parking lot to look at it and then would throw the entire thing away immediately...:eyebrow:

nobody really

I need a nap
I would be completely suspicious and would have driven to another location within the parking lot to look at it and then would throw the entire thing away immediately...:eyebrow:

why, though? I mean, I wouldn't eat the candy canes, but i'd probably at least leave it on someone else's car.

why, though? I mean, I wouldn't eat the candy canes, but i'd probably at least leave it on someone else's car.
Because I see it as an invasion of property rather than a random act of kindness. I honestly would get perturbed and would be suspicious knowing someone left things trapped to my wiper forcing me to be out of my car in order to remove them. I see it as a safety risk.

bilbur

The family and I were out shopping yesterday evening and when we returned to our vehicle, I noticed that there was something under the windshield wiper. As I pulled it off the blade, I handed it to the wife who opened it.

Low and behold it was a small angel tree ornament with a few small candy canes and a note.

The note read "You have been RACK'd (Random Act of Christmas Kindness)." It went on to explain their act of generosity and encouraged us to continue it.

To whomever started and/or left it..... I will BE SURE to pass on the generosity!

Those bastards, what right do they have to touch your car. Just kidding, I think it would be good to keep it going. I would change out the candy with a $1 or something though because people might be suspicions of candy. This is just my $0.02, doing anything is more than most people would do so the fact that you will keep it going is great.

nobody really

I need a nap
Because I see it as an invasion of property rather than a random act of kindness. I honestly would get perturbed and would be suspicious knowing someone left things trapped to my wiper forcing me to be out of my car in order to remove them. I see it as a safety risk.

i'd be pissed if my wiper came off when I was getting it out from under it. its happened before lol

lovinmaryland

There is something I saw on FB where they put things on the windshield as a way for you to get out of the veh and then they hop in or hold you up.

glhs837

Power with Control

You talking about that old urban legend? The one with flyers or a $100 bill? You know there's never been a reported case like that, right?

lucky_bee

RBF expert
There is something I saw on FB where they put things on the windshield as a way for you to get out of the veh and then they hop in or hold you up.

Thank you! This was my first thought! As much as I'd love to hear of real random acts of kindness, I've heard far more stories relating to using those as traps for robberies or something.

I actually had a real sweet guy offer to buy my lunch at 5 Guys last week, he said as a "random act of kindness" since someone did it for him recently...I declined bc I'm awkward and was immediately uncomfortable even though he did nothing to make me so, but I insisted he save his "random act of kindness" for someone that needed it more. I think I hurt his feelings. He kind of seemed like he could use a friend bc he was chatting up everyone in line but unfortunately, in the back of my mind I'm panicking thinking this is all a trap.

Last edited:
The thing that story said they left was a $100 bill. The story was put out as a precautionary warning.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/beware-holiday-scam-tricks-100-bill/story?id=27051115

All I know is from a very young age I've been taught to not dilly-dally in parking lots. Have keys ready to get in the door and lock the door as soon as you get in. Think about it... what better way to have access to you, your car or whatever you put in your car than to put a distraction in place that requires you to be out of your car to deal with it.

glhs837

Power with Control
Yep, sounds good. But again, it's never happened. That story was put out by a stupid person (AG), who listened to another stupid person (unnamed citizen at a public meeting), and the story was put out by other stupid people 9reporter and the whole freaking editorial team). "We all know it's never happened, but we are going to report it anyway". I am all for awareness of your surroundings, I preach it constantly. But I would hate to see someone so freaked out by a flyer that they don't see the real bad guy.

SG_Player1974

This is just plain old ignorant!

So, they would WAIT for me to get out of my car... in a PACKED PARKING LOT..... to jump me and steal my minivan huh?

They could do that WITHOUT the candy/present! They could do that BEFORE I even get INTO my car!

Some of you people on here have watched too much Jesse Ventura re-runs! :gossip:

BTW.... Do you believe EVERYTHING you see on Facebook? Is your boyfriend a French model? LIKE..... BONJOUR!

Last edited:

lucky_bee

RBF expert
The thing that story said they left was a $100 bill. The story was put out as a precautionary warning.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/beware-holiday-scam-tricks-100-bill/story?id=27051115

All I know is from a very young age I've been taught to not dilly-dally in parking lots. Have keys ready to get in the door and lock the door as soon as you get in. Think about it... what better way to have access to you, your car or whatever you put in your car than to put a distraction in place that requires you to be out of your car to deal with it.

:yeahthat: I'm by no means a damsel in distress but parking lots terrify me. Doesn't matter if they're full on a bright Sunday afternoon, I'm still briskly walking to my car, keys in hand, door locked as soon as it's shut.

glhs837

Power with Control
:yeahthat: I'm by no means a damsel in distress but parking lots terrify me. Doesn't matter if they're full on a bright Sunday afternoon, I'm still briskly walking to my car, keys in hand, door locked as soon as it's shut.

Terrify seems a bit much, but by all means do practice good situational awareness wherever you go. that's never a bad thing. I think the low incidence of bad things happening in parking lots (location dependent, of course, Tysons, I'm looking at you) combined with being aware, your actual risk level is pretty low in most local parking lots. If you frequent liquor store parking lots in the real hoods, of course, your experience may vary :)

lovinmaryland

Thank you! This was my first thought! As much as I'd love to hear of real random acts of kindness, I've heard far more stories relating to using those as traps for robberies or something.

I actually had a real sweet guy offer to buy my lunch at 5 Guys last week, he said as a "random act of kindness" since someone did it for him recently...I declined bc I'm awkward and was immediately uncomfortable even though he did nothing to make me so, but I insisted he save his "random act of kindness" for someone that needed it more. I think I hurt his feelings. He kind of seemed like he could use a friend bc he was chatting up everyone in line but unfortunately, in the back of my mind I'm panicking thinking this is all a trap.

The night before Thanksgiving I realized I needed something and ran to Food Lion after work...it was dark and packed as hell so I had to take park in a spot waaaaaay in the back. I turned the car off and kinda looked around before getting out (typical habit of mine) I noticed a heavy set man kinda limping along a few spots behind mine. So I decided to wait before getting out. I leaned back a little as he passed my car and waited for him to get 3 or 4 spots away before getting out. Well he must have been watching me because the instant I got out he turned around and started yelling "maam, oh maam" I just kept walking like I didnt hear him and he kept yelling to get my attention and coming after me saying "I ran out of gas can you spare a couple dollars" I ended up just running til I got to the store. It freaked me out terrible.

The $100 on the windshield may be a concocted story that has never been reported as fact, however, there are several documented cases of folks being on one side of their car and someone opening the car from the other and grabbing the purse, bags or whatever from the other side. So... going back to this RACK... I would see it as a potential threat and be perturbed.