Questions arise on Rolling Stone alleged gang rape at UVA st

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Questions arise on Rolling Stone alleged gang rape at UVA story.

There is a technical term for the bolded part of this excerpt from The New Republic‘s otherwise laudable (no, really) look at the suddenly-problematical Rolling Stone article about an alleged gang rape at the University of Virginia*:

“If I had to guess what happened at UVA—and at this point, we can only guess (which is why we should not be passing judgment),” Wendy Kaminer, a civil libertarian and feminist who has written extensively on both rape and free speech on campus, emailed me, “I’d guess that the story is neither entirely fabricated nor entirely true, and, in any case, compels a real investigation by investigators with no stake in their findings.”

[clip]

PS: For the benefit of any lurkers reading this: this is the problem with the not-uncommon Leftist habit of distinguishing between regular-truth and revolutionary-truth. The more often people get burned by fake stories, the more skittish they get about possibly new-fake ones. Why did Richard Bradley write the first post that really questioned the Rolling Stone story? Because he was one of the guys who got burned by Stephen Glass. Why did The New Republic write the above article? …Hey, maybe because they got burned once, too (yeah, also Stephen Glass). And if this Rolling Stone article turns out to be faked, then it’s going to get added to the pile that will come out the next time a story like it comes out. Whether or not that story turns out to be true – and that’s why people who aren’t conservatives should also care. Meditate on our culture’s hoary folk wisdom, and become wise in your turn…

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
One of the more shocking facts to come out of this list of links is that Rolling Stone magazine employs some they call "fact checkers."

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
'Discrepancies' in U-Va. Rape Story Lead to Rolling Stone Apology

Rolling Stone managing editor Will Dana issued a statement on Friday about their much-publicized "A Rape on Campus" story, which zeroed in on an allegation of gang rape at the University of Virginia by a woman named "Jackie." Dana acknowledged that "there now appear to be discrepancies in Jackie's account," and continued that "we have come to the conclusion that our trust in her was misplaced....We are taking this seriously and apologize to anyone who was affected by the story."

The editor also explained that his magazine was "trying to be sensitive to the unfair shame and humiliation many women feel after a sexual assault and now regret the decision to not contact the alleged assaulters to get their account." Just a day earlier, the left-wing publication stood behind the reporting: "Through our extensive reporting and fact—checking, we found Jackie to be entirely credible and courageous and we are proud to have given her disturbing story the attention it deserves."

RS had an axe to grind, it blew up in there face .... nothing to see here, move along

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
Rolling Stone should stick to their stock-and-trade reporting on rock bands. Anyone who thinks a "roadie" is a legitimate profession isn't too deep in the intellect department.

officeguy

That young women get raped on college campuses is not news and except for the victims and their families, nobody seems to care very much. The allegation that this was an organized frat activity was the part that got the story propagated through the real media and the internets.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Van Jones Asks Rich Lowry: 'Can I Kiss You Here Against Your Will?'

On Sunday morning, ABC’s This Week with George Stephanopoulos discussed Rolling Stone's retracted article surrounding an alleged sexual assault and gang rape at the University of Virginia. While the panelists all agreed that Rolling Stone should take a hit for publishing a false story, the discussion got heated over statistics regarding sexual assaults on college campuses.

The segment began with Rich Lowry of National Review accusing Rolling Stone of having “an agenda to portray UVA as this bastion of white male privilege where basically rapists rule the social life. And the damage will never be undone. And I think if there’s any justice in the world, Rolling Stone would have to give up covering music and become the alumni magazine of the University of Virginia.”

Following Lowry’s condemnation of the magazine, CNN’s Van Jones argued that "regardless of this one story, George, the statistics are there and they're shocking. It's literally one out of five.” The liberal CNN contributor’s comments that “one out of five” women are victims of sexual assault set off a firestorm among the panelists:

LOWRY: No it’s not. That's a bogus statistic. That’s completely bogus.

JONES: Let me finish. First of all, it's not bogus.

LOWRY: It is bogus.

JONES: And one of the things I think is really unfortunate is that when you do have young women who are courageous enough to step forward, and they then point to other young women you get this sort of attack. And I think this mistake on the part of Rolling Stone actually emboldens people who want to attack young women’s credibility when they come forward.

LOWRY: That statistic is based on a survey that includes attempted forced kissing as sexual assault. That is not a real number.

rdytogo

I think those who falsely report a rape are as despicable as those who rape! I think there are always going to be inconsistencies in a rape victim's statements as it's a traumatic event. I'd be more worried about the well rehearsed story. In this case, I am having a difficult time believing this "victim" because of the things which she is inconsistent about. Number of people, types of assault committed. My b.s. alarm is in overdrive.

Hijinx

I think those who falsely report a rape are as despicable as those who rape! I think there are always going to be inconsistencies in a rape victim's statements as it's a traumatic event. I'd be more worried about the well rehearsed story. In this case, I am having a difficult time believing this "victim" because of the things which she is inconsistent about. Number of people, types of assault committed. My b.s. alarm is in overdrive.

Some people worry more about their agenda than bothering with the truth.

officeguy

In this case, I am having a difficult time believing this "victim" because of the things which she is inconsistent about. Number of people, types of assault committed. My b.s. alarm is in overdrive.

So up to how many assailants is a victim expected to be able to keep an exact count ? 5, 7, 10 ?

I dont doubt that she got raped that night. I dont even doubt that she was assaulted by more than one perp. I doubt that this was an organized effort related to that particular fraternity. More likely her 'date' and one of his drunk buddies who couldn't control themselves.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I dont doubt that she got raped that night.

I do.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...fcb-11e4-81fd-8c4814dfa9d7_story.html?hpid=z2
They said there are mounting inconsistencies with the original narrative in the magazine. The students also expressed suspicions about Jackie’s allegations from that night. They said the name she provided as that of her date did not match anyone at the university, and U-Va. officials confirmed to The Post that no one by that name has attended the school.

Also, photographs that were texted to one of the friends showing her date that night were actually pictures depicting one of Jackie’s high school classmates in Northern Virginia. That man, now a junior at a university in another state, confirmed that the photographs were of him and said he barely knew Jackie and hasn’t been to Charlottesville for at least six years.
Curious about Jackie’s date, the friends said that they tried to find the student on a U-Va. database and social media but failed.

Randall provided The Post with pictures that Jackie’s purported date had sent of himself by text message in 2012. The Post identified the person in the pictures and learned that his name does not match the one Jackie gave friends in 2012. In an interview, the man said he was Jackie’s high school classmate but “never really spoke to her.”

This is a seriously disturbed young woman who happened to find a seriously disturbed journalist to tell her story to.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
So up to how many assailants is a victim expected to be able to keep an exact count ? 5, 7, 10 ?

I dont doubt that she got raped that night. I dont even doubt that she was assaulted by more than one perp. I doubt that this was an organized effort related to that particular fraternity. More likely her 'date' and one of his drunk buddies who couldn't control themselves.

You have obviously not read a single one of the WaPo and many other articles that have now pretty much totally shredded the entire UVA fable that scumbag writer created from whole cloth. Putting the "low" in "low information"...LOL

The good news is..Phi Psi guys are soon gonna have enough money to turn their fraternity house in to a palace. ;-)

GregV814

"its not the facts of the case, its the severity of the outcry" Hillary S Clinton...Harriet E. Tubman et al...

officeguy

You have obviously not read a single one of the WaPo and many other articles that have now pretty much totally shredded the entire UVA fable that scumbag writer created from whole cloth. Putting the "low" in "low information"...LOL

Actually, I read most of them. The information dug up by the WaPo pretty much proves that it didn't happen the way she described it. It does nothing to prove that she wasn't raped by somebody, either that night or somewhere around that time. For example, not finding a name in the student directory can have a number of different reasons: A. Wasn't a student. Plenty of other people in that age range hanging around college towns (e.g. the scumbag who killed Hanna Graham) B. Had opted out of being listed in the student directory. It is very difficult to prove a negative.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Actually, I read most of them. The information dug up by the WaPo pretty much proves that it didn't happen the way she described it. It does nothing to prove that she wasn't raped by somebody, either that night or somewhere around that time. For example, not finding a name in the student directory can have a number of different reasons: A. Wasn't a student. Plenty of other people in that age range hanging around college towns (e.g. the scumbag who killed Hanna Graham) B. Had opted out of being listed in the student directory. It is very difficult to prove a negative.

If she really was raped, why not just tell that story? Wasn't it good enough unless it was a gang rape at a frat house?

She made up this whole fake guy that she was supposedly dating, from a fake photo to a fake name to him being a fake student. Then this fake person not only raped her, but got 5 or 7 - she's not sure which - of his friends to join in.

So I don't believe you read the WashPo story at all, otherwise you wouldn't be coming up with your reasons, none of which hold so much as a drop of water.

Why do you want so badly to believe that this girl was raped when there is absolutely no evidence of any such thing happening? <--That's a real question because I am absolutely at a loss as to why people just jumped on this bandwagon with no proof, and especially now that "Jackie's" lies have come to light.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
False accusations make it harder for people that actually suffer from those crimes. In addition false accusations can ruin innocent people. Like this local teacher:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/fairfax-teacher-sean-lanigan-still-suffering-from-false-molestation-allegations/2011/03/04/AFVwhh3G_story.html

Exactly. It would be nice if these so-called feminists would take rape seriously and not use it as a tool for sexual politics and attention whoring. This infuriates me.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
Isn't it interesting that the liberal activists have conflated the concept of "White Privilege" with gang rape by constructing this story? Who has more "White Privilege" than fraternity members at a nationally famous university? The feminists have attacked two bogey men with one stoning.

officeguy

If she really was raped, why not just tell that story? Wasn't it good enough unless it was a gang rape at a frat house?

I dont know, maybe because nobody in a college-town really listens to a plain vanilla 'I got raped by a guy on a date' story.

So I don't believe you read the WashPo story at all, otherwise you wouldn't be coming up with your reasons, none of which hold so much as a drop of water.

Of course I read it. All it is so far are unverfiable random people with pseudonyms who are telling stories that they may well have picked up from the press reporting. Once I see all of them deposed under oath and the digital trails investigated, yeah then I'll believe that the person who took her on a date didn't actually exist.

Why do you want so badly to believe that this girl was raped when there is absolutely no evidence of any such thing happening?

Because it is a common enough event that it deserves being investigated.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Because it is a common enough event that it deserves being investigated.

But it isn't being investigated. Not by anyone who matters, anyway. The police were never contacted and the "attacker" was never identified. It's just a rumor with a bunch of anonymous people at this point.

What makes you think this woman was raped, despite there being exactly no evidence of it? Just because she said so? Even though her story was shaky and is now falling apart, and the RS person lied about pretty much everything she wrote? Seriously, what makes you think this woman was raped?