Home Security Camera

PeoplesElbow

I am thinking about getting a deer trail camera to put up to capture any motion in my yard. The point is to get a picture of anyone if anything happens so I can send their ass to jail. Is there a better option? I am not really interested in live feed to a computer or a mobile device. A wifi connection that downloads the pictures would be nice but not necessary. The home security specialized cameras seem to be overpriced to me.

PeoplesElbow

Well this is really for my 65 year old mom, she lives in a low crime area but the local well to do kids sometimes do stuff like steal pumpkins, Christmas lights etc. She won't do any decorating because some stole some Christmas lights one year and busted her pumpkins a couple years ago. She loves to decorate etc I tell her to do it anyway but she refuses but she might feel more secure doing it if she knew she could give a picture to cops of someone who messed with her decorations.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
Well this is really for my 65 year old mom, she lives in a low crime area but the local well to do kids sometimes do stuff like steal pumpkins, Christmas lights etc. She won't do any decorating because some stole some Christmas lights one year and busted her pumpkins a couple years ago. She loves to decorate etc I tell her to do it anyway but she refuses but she might feel more secure doing it if she knew she could give a picture to cops of someone who messed with her decorations.

motion activated sprinklers for this would be fun.... ohh and a camera would be great also....

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I saw a video once. Fishermen were floating a river fishing. 1 of the home owners rigged sprinklers with motion detectors. Any boat coming down the river activated the water. The boats had to pass through that stretch of water as fast as possible. I'm not sure why the homeowner did that since the river was a public use area. I tried to find the video but didn't have any luck.

acommondisaster

I saw a video once. Fishermen were floating a river fishing. 1 of the home owners rigged sprinklers with motion detectors. Any boat coming down the river activated the water. The boats had to pass through that stretch of water as fast as possible. I'm not sure why the homeowner did that since the river was a public use area. I tried to find the video but didn't have any luck.

Why would FISHermen be afraid of getting a little wet?

Hannibal

Trail cam would work but every one I've used (for deer) who require the motion to be relatively close to the camera. And for a good night pic, you would need flash which would give the camera away to any perp. I THINK you can get "night vision" trail cams (without flash) but I am sure they cost a good bit more.

Aside from the trail cams - they have many DIY security systems that come in peices. You could easily rig something out for pretty cheap.

Misfit

Lawful neutral
I installed a LaView security camera system. Not only do you get the DVR but I set the outside camera to e-mail me a snapshot whenever the motion detector was activated on it. Worked great!

SG_Player1974

I find, as well as most other people, that the biggest problem with outdoor cameras is POWERING THEM. Most of the security style outdoor cameras require an outlet. Also, running the actual video line (if it is NOT wireless) all the way to the receiver/recorder location.

glhs837

Power with Control
I find, as well as most other people, that the biggest problem with outdoor cameras is POWERING THEM. Most of the security style outdoor cameras require an outlet. Also, running the actual video line (if it is NOT wireless) all the way to the receiver/recorder location.

Some of the newer ones actually receive power over Ethernet, reducing the hassle of the wiring job considerably.

http://www.amazon.com/Agasio-A612-POE-Outdoor-Camera-Ethernet/dp/B005DOMNK8

Used with a switch like this one.....

http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-8-Port-100Mbps-Switch-TPE-S44/dp/B000QYEN1W/ref=pd_bxgy_p_text_y

which offers power over the Ethernet cable, in addition to the data transfer, you get a reasonable solution.

PeoplesElbow

Trail cam would work but every one I've used (for deer) who require the motion to be relatively close to the camera. And for a good night pic, you would need flash which would give the camera away to any perp. I THINK you can get "night vision" trail cams (without flash) but I am sure they cost a good bit more.

Aside from the trail cams - they have many DIY security systems that come in peices. You could easily rig something out for pretty cheap.

The flash is IR diodes, not visible to the human eye.