"Adopting" a Family for Christmas

Hank

my war
Does anyone know a place locally that helps with this sort of thing? I found one out of Baltimore, but I would rather help a family in need in the Southern Maryland area. I have an extra tree, decorations and would donate some presents to put under the tree. Would like to find a local family with young children.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Try calling the Dept of Social Services in your county. If that doesn't give you any returns check with the local churches.

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
Look at the somd classifieds. I found a family a couple yrs ago and helped them. I think they were under the wanted ads and free stuff. Good luck and its a nice thing to do. PS.. I just looked at the wanted items in the classified and there are a few people on there in need of help.

Last edited:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Look at the somd classifieds. I found a family a couple yrs ago and helped them. I think they were under the wanted ads and free stuff. Good luck and its a nice thing to do. PS.. I just looked at the wanted items in the classified and there are a few people on there in need of help.

I seem to remember that some of these people are fraudulent. I would stick with social services or churches.

Goldenhawk

How about Angel Tree?

http://www.prisonfellowship.org/programs/angel-tree/

Our church does this every Christmas; you sort of adopt the family of an incarcerated convict for the purposes of Christmas gift giving; you will get a packet showing the children's names, sizes and wish lists. You then collect, wrap and donate the gifts you wish to give, and they're delivered for you specifically to those children. It's a lot more personal than just donating goods or cash to a charity.

Hank

my war
How about Angel Tree?

http://www.prisonfellowship.org/programs/angel-tree/

Our church does this every Christmas; you sort of adopt the family of an incarcerated convict for the purposes of Christmas gift giving; you will get a packet showing the children's names, sizes and wish lists. You then collect, wrap and donate the gifts you wish to give, and they're delivered for you specifically to those children. It's a lot more personal than just donating goods or cash to a charity.

Well, this whole thought process of mine started with the extra tree I have. Rather than selling it, I want to donate it to a family along with some decorations. Then I started to look around and I found the Adopt A Family Holiday Program run by Johns Hopkins. I registered there, but would like to help a local family out.

Tami2red

Does anyone know a place locally that helps with this sort of thing? I found one out of Baltimore, but I would rather help a family in need in the Southern Maryland area. I have an extra tree, decorations and would donate some presents to put under the tree. Would like to find a local family with young children.

Donnita (SP ?) with BAE handles the Annual x-mas party at Three Oaks for needs families. I'd suggest calling Three Oaks.

inkah

My guess is you know where the "poor" sections of town are. Go drive through and pick someone. (seriously)

My son was the recipient of some angel tree gifts one year. A whole friggin pile of gifts he thought came from his Daddy. My word I can't even tell you how that impacted his little soul. I am bawling here at work just remembering. If you don't choose someone on your own, I hope you go the Angel Tree route. Those kids just need the blessing, I tell ya - they NEED to believe...

bilbur

My mom works with her church to collect all of the gifts from the donation tree. Because I am lazy and don't feel like donating my time I just give gift cards to food stores to her church. If you are looking to donate to a local family donating to the local church is a good way. All of the things and money that are collected by her church are donated locally to families that they actually research to make sure they are actually in need and not just looking for a handout because they don't feel like spending their own money on their kids. I also like that they take any money and buy gift cards (usually at food places), I know these can still be used to trade for bad things but it makes it a little harder to use them for something other than what they were intended.

Roderic

If you are in St. Mary's contact the division of human services at 301 475 4200 X
1849. They handle the Christmas caring program.

1stGenSMIB

If you are in St. Mary's contact the division of human services at 301 475 4200 X
1849. They handle the Christmas caring program.

What Roderic said, except I have different contact info...our employee run charity group at work is helping a family through St. Mary's Co. Human Services. 301-475-4200 ext. 1680 - Cynthia Brown is the Division Manager.

At any rate..either should get you going...good on ya, Hank.

Last edited:

Hank

my war
I have found a family through a church I have done some work for. Thanks for the suggestions.