Fire Gruden, Keep RGIII?

PeoplesElbow

Less than a year after a showdown over Robert Griffin III, another appears to be brewing. Jay Gruden’s desire to part ways with the ineffective quarterback may put him at odds with owner Daniel Snyder and President and General Manager Bruce Allen, potentially leaving the Washington Redskins searching for a coach yet again.

I think the Redskins need to go with Lane Kiffin for their new coach.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...b622f0-7d67-11e4-9a27-6fdbc612bff8_story.html

R

rhenderson

IMO:

Sports writers/analysts have to fill columns/air time - and it needs to attract readers/viewers.

If Snyder fires Gruden he will never be able to hire a coach that has a chance of success.

QB support on a team is like water behind a dam. Once there's a crack in the dam it doesn't take long for the entire structure to fail. Team mates are now admitting a lack of confidence and personal dislike of Griffin and his attitude.

Cooke, Beathard, and Gibbs turned the franchise into a Pro sports cash cow. The fans from that era have continued to make the franchise profitable - however, they are leaving the fold after the last twenty years of irrelevance. In the 80's, fans would build their game day schedule around game time - today many of those fans consider a Skins game as a fall back if they have nothing better to do.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
IMO:

Sports writers/analysts have to fill columns/air time - and it needs to attract readers/viewers.

If Snyder fires Gruden he will never be able to hire a coach that has a chance of success.

QB support on a team is like water behind a dam. Once there's a crack in the dam it doesn't take long for the entire structure to fail. Team mates are now admitting a lack of confidence and personal dislike of Griffin and his attitude.

Cooke, Beathard, and Gibbs turned the franchise into a Pro sports cash cow. The fans from that era have continued to make the franchise profitable - however, they are leaving the fold after the last twenty years of irrelevance. In the 80's, fans would build their game day schedule around game time - today many of those fans consider a Skins game as a fall back if they have nothing better to do.

Here's where I differ; Cooke and co didn't turn it into a cash cow. TV did that. The DC area is simply a great place for an NFL team. The winning they did certainly helped but, the Redskins before them and now were always a DC institution, win or lose. My horse, the dumber one, could run the Redskins and they'd still be among the top earning teams. Look at how awful they've been under Dan. Money is zero issue and we've been an also ran team for well over a decade now.

This is one of my issues with Snyder; his skill set is promotion and marketing and the Skins need NONE. Firing Gruden fits in nicely with the whole Snyder way; a promotional event. Fire Turner. Hire Marty. Fire Marty. Spurrier. Gibbs II. Zorn. Shanahan. Gruden. He has been unable to hire a coach on the way up, Gibbs I, since he fired Marty. No one who is about winning wants to be here. He's never get a Bilicheck or a Pete Carol or a Harbaugh or John Gruden or a Parcells or anyone like that because Dan wants to be part of it and it simply doesn't work. His involvement is a detriment time and time again. Jerry Jones at least has credibility as an ex player. Every single person who comes here knows there will be Dan's pets and that is not conducive to winning in the NFL. It is destructive of it.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Trade with the Bucs straight up - Gruden for Smith (you keep Griffin) - and we both should be better teams.

PsyOps

Pixelated
I've given up. I watch now just for the entertainment value. And are they ever entertaining.

I wish they had benched RG3 for the rest of the pointless season, let him FULLY heal, keep him practicing and developing. He's a good QB, but until they protect him and protect his health by letting him fully heal from his injuries, then they're setting him up for failure.

Gruden is a good coach. Need to keep him too.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Snyder/Allen should have pursued Darrell Bevel for HC, but Allen wants to recreate the 'magic' that he had in TB.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I wish they had benched RG3 for the rest of the pointless season, let him FULLY heal, keep him practicing and developing. He's a good QB, but until they protect him and protect his health by letting him fully heal from his injuries, then they're setting him up for failure.

Gruden is a good coach. Need to keep him too.

I don't see how RGIII is a 'good' quarterback. His fault, no ones fault, his rookie season was a fluke and NFL defenses are all too happy to see him run knowing he'll be out of the game before long. Other teams that feature the read option, Seattle, Wilson is MUCH better suited to it than Robert AND has a good O line and a great D. The 49'ers did not win the SB with Kaepernick and won't even make the playoffs this year with a good O line and great D. It's a gimmick offense especially if you get hurt most every time you take off. Wilson is the only guy making it work and he's on a great team.

So, to 'good' QB. What are the criteria?

Accuracy. Roberts not in the top half of starters when it comes to accuracy. He's not even the most accurate on this team.

Skill, fundamentals. He's awful.

Both of those are not the fault of injuries or how he's been coached and handled.

The things the team has messed up, his development, the biggest thing we hear about the success of a QB is his ability to read and react and Robert is really awful there as well but, it can be argued that had he been sat from day one and allowed to grow into understanding and doing well in the pro game, he'd have gotten it, maybe even by now. I don't see any sign of that but, it's an argument.

But, that's not what he was brought in for. He was brought in to start day one by an owner who thinks in terms of promotion and not team. The HUGE mistake was all those picks. There is no team around him, or whomever is gonna play the position. The Skins O and D lines are mid pack, at best, and that is where any good team starts, O and D line. So, the whole thing becomes academic as NO QB in the league is going to make this team better because he'll end up beat to death as well in addition to not having help from a dominant D and, worst of all, the current coach, Gruden, thinks Robert is the third best QB on the team.

It's just another Dan Snyder mess. If Snyder insists on keeping RGIII, I guess we'll find out if he can round himself into a better QB. The prospects of more depth and two good lines doesn't seem good. It takes several years to do that. Minimum. On teams that are committed to it. So, does Snyder tell his coach he has to keep working with Robert and Gruden and then it turns out RGIII simply is not that good and next season is more of the same? Does Snyder risk having a coach who is just cashing a check because he doesn't believe in what the team is doing? Does Snyder can the coach and deal with anyone willing to take the job knowing the owner decides who will play QB?

I mean, maybe you're right. Snyder's gotta see all these other teams doing well with unknowns or disfavored QB's. Maybe RGIII is really a good qb and will come around.

Escalade14

Go Rams!
Good coaches don't have only 3 wins in a season. Nothing you do will help the team, as they are just a team that's broken beyond repair. IMO, why not get the team to cease operations and become a defunct organization and the NFL creates a new team in Los Angeles. And keep Snyder far, far away. All he sees is marketing hype and dollar signs.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Good coaches don't have only 3 wins in a season. Nothing you do will help the team, as they are just a team that's broken beyond repair. IMO, why not get the team to cease operations and become a defunct organization and the NFL creates a new team in Los Angeles. And keep Snyder far, far away. All he sees is marketing hype and dollar signs.

How do you propose to do that? They make a ton of money, Snyder is liked by the other owners for his promotional ideas and the dough they generate and they LOVE being able to pick up 10-13 wins against us every year.

In terms of business, the Skins will not be an issue unless people stop going to the games.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I'm thinking more along the lines of a very successful head coach (3-straight NFC championships) with front office problems....

Match made in heaven!

Snyder, to his credit, did what I think is the right thing this past year; he actually tried to find the next great coach by hiring an up and coming OC. He had not tried that, not once prior.
Letting Norv go before end of season was dumb. Spurrier was a dumb idea. Getting rid of Marty was dumb. Gibbs II was really dumb. Zorn was uber dumb and the Shanahan Plan was dumb. The only one of those that was going to work in terms of being a consistently good team was Marty. I like his choice of Gruden. Now, tell the guy you'll fire him if he doesn't win and sooner rather than later and let the guy be the damn coach and get the F out of the way.

Harbaugh could be a great pick or just another disaster. None of it matters if Snyder won't get the F out of the way. :buddies:

GregV814

I say package the whole team up and ship them via FedEx to Loserburg

No UPS them to St. Louis where they can live in harmony with the "hands up dont shoot" Rams and local insurgents there....Give us a 2nd string high school team from DMV. They will do a better job...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
N ...Give us a 2nd string high school team from DMV. They will do a better job...

Ok, now, we're just getting silly. The NFL is hyper competitive and the real difference between winning and losing, week in and week out is very, very small. Typically, it's a couple of plays a game one team makes, the other doesn't. Even the Patriots, as good as they are and have been, don't even make the Super bowl ever year, let alone win it and no one thinks this will continue past Tom Brady and a season or career ending injury. One play.

Certainly, the better teams do most of the little things a little better most of the time and get a better player on the team or get a little more out of a not as good player but, again, the real difference, at least in terms of talent and skill is pretty small other than a few key stars here and there. RGIII is a much better player, perception wise, if he plays for the Pats and Brady, all of a sudden, stinks if he plays for us. No college team has a prayer, no college all star team has a prayer against the Redskins or Jags or anyone else in the NFL. Not a prayer. They probably wouldn't get many first downs let alone score and they could not even slow down the worst offense in the NFL.

Just saying...

Beta

Smile!
I think the Redskins need to go with Lane Kiffin for their new coach.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...b622f0-7d67-11e4-9a27-6fdbc612bff8_story.html
:killingme

Lane Kiffin? Good one.

Ok, now, we're just getting silly. The NFL is hyper competitive and the real difference between winning and losing, week in and week out is very, very small. Typically, it's a couple of plays a game one team makes, the other doesn't. Even the Patriots, as good as they are and have been, don't even make the Super bowl ever year, let alone win it and no one thinks this will continue past Tom Brady and a season or career ending injury. One play.

Certainly, the better teams do most of the little things a little better most of the time and get a better player on the team or get a little more out of a not as good player but, again, the real difference, at least in terms of talent and skill is pretty small other than a few key stars here and there. RGIII is a much better player, perception wise, if he plays for the Pats and Brady, all of a sudden, stinks if he plays for us. No college team has a prayer, no college all star team has a prayer against the Redskins or Jags or anyone else in the NFL. Not a prayer. They probably wouldn't get many first downs let alone score and they could not even slow down the worst offense in the NFL.

Just saying...

I'd consider an argument where a college all-star team could compete against the worst NFL team. You're talking 1st-round talent against an NFL team that's probably filled with a bunch of players that were low round picks, maybe a couple of stars here and there. Strength may be the biggest factor that would give the game to the NFL team, but times have changed. Every season you see a bunch of rookies that are able to really COMPETE with the NFL. Sometimes people argue they're new so teams need a year to learn them, but if you're talking a 1-time game then that's going to be the same case. So I see no reason why rookies (or college all-stars who are about to go pro) who come to the NFL and have great success would struggle against a lowly NFL team. 10+ years ago that's a good case, but TODAY, that's bogus.

That being said, parody reigns in the NFL and it's a QB driven league. You're right that RGIII probably isn't a top tier QB so the Skins probably need to move on. I'd give him until the end of his contract to prove it though, BUT I'd try to find another QB this offseason. I'd definitely give him this year since Cousins & McCoy aren't the answer either, so it makes the most sense to give the job to the guy who cost the most in assets. You HAVE to try to make it work considering the bounty the Rams got for RGIII (and then mocked the Skins with in their recent game).

Last edited: