Why thank you, Pax River DPW. I needed a good shot of

glhs837

Power with Control
adrenaline this AM. I don't suppose there's a book that perhaps details how to warn drivers of upcoming shifts in the road surface? Like a recently milled surface in a rotary intersection? Or maybe a best practices sort of thing that mentions that after milling a surface, it's maybe wise TO CLEAN UP THE FREAKIN MILLINGS? Just peachy to discover, as you enter the rotary, watching the car ahead of you, and the entrance to the rotatory to your left, that you are dropping two inches onto a surface that's milled and has a goody amount of loose millings just to spice sh$% up.

Was I in danger? Nope. Did it kick me into overdrive? Sure did. Would a less experienced rider be in trouble? I would think so. Asshats. And yes, I WILL be making a call this AM.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Seriously? I drove over that with my little bimmer this weekend. No problem at all. I had to slow down a little to avoid kicking up debris, but I didn't notice a drop at all.

DEEKAYPEE8569

adrenaline this AM. I don't suppose there's a book that perhaps details how to warn drivers of upcoming shifts in the road surface? Like a recently milled surface in a rotary intersection? Or maybe a best practices sort of thing that mentions that after milling a surface, it's maybe wise TO CLEAN UP THE FREAKIN MILLINGS? Just peachy to discover, as you enter the rotary, watching the car ahead of you, and the entrance to the rotatory to your left, that you are dropping two inches onto a surface that's milled and has a goody amount of loose millings just to spice sh$% up.

Was I in danger? Nope. Did it kick me into overdrive? Sure did. Would a less experienced rider be in trouble? I would think so. Asshats. And yes, I WILL be making a call this AM.

Edit:
I'm curious how that call works out. You'll post what they tell you?
I had a "Holy Sh*t!" moment myself, this morning. For the remainder of the trip home, I was praying I didn't just flatten both front tires or knock the front end out of alignment or crack/bend a wheel or break a wheel stud. All of these things I have done at one time or another over the years; either here at home or in D.C..

Last edited:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Surface discontinuities and, particularly, loose gravel/debris/millings are quite a different matter when you are on two wheels.

glhs837

Power with Control
Yep also, while this same sort situation on RT 5 during the recent resurfacing there wasn't as big a deal, since it was almost all straightaways, and there was plenty of warning. Malice, it also depends on the approach direction, perhaps. If you hit it this weekend, you would have been coming from the north, not in from the Gate 3 direction. The main point is that you have a duty, if you are changing up the road surface, to post that, and to clean up the work area. NO clean up is going to be perfect, but this was a bit excessive.

DeeJay, I sure will, although I don't expect it will be more than a "Hmmmm, we'll talk to the contractor about that" at best.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Malice, it also depends on the approach direction, perhaps. If you hit it this weekend, you would have been coming from the north, not in from the Gate 3 direction. The main point is that you have a duty, if you are changing up the road surface, to post that, and to clean up the work area. NO clean up is going to be perfect, but this was a bit excessive.

True enough. I didn't use the gate 3 entrance. True, it should have been posted. But I still don't think it was that bad. I also wasn't on a motorcycle. Even if I had a motorcycle, I wouldn't be driving it in this weather. Freakin' brrrr.

glhs837

Power with Control
True enough. I didn't use the gate 3 entrance. True, it should have been posted. But I still don't think it was that bad. I also wasn't on a motorcycle. Even if I had a motorcycle, I wouldn't be driving it in this weather. Freakin' brrrr.

I stay nice and toasty, thanks to my insulated suit and heated gloves.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life

A whole 2 inches, eh? Did you need a parachute?

glhs837

Power with Control
Nope, but a little warning would have been nice. There's a reason those "Caution, changing road surface" signs show a motorcycle. Just sloppy work, IMO.

SG_Player1974

A whole 2 inches, eh? Did you need a parachute?

Probably not a parachute but... if you ride that same route multiple times a day with a car... you might need new shocks and an alignment! Not exactly cheap. And its not the 2" drop down.... Its the 2" jump back up onto the finished surface that can cause the problems.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Well there was an orange sign that warned about a change in traffic pattern up at Cedar Point Rd - I wonder what was/had changed. I found out when I got down to the circle. Other than the fact that it felt unusually rough, it was pretty clear from a distance. But yes, it was a nice differential between the existing and milled road surface and as I mentioned, I've driven on milled roads before and this seemed rather rough - it felt like it was making the truck work harder to make forward progress.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
There's a reason those "Caution, changing road surface" signs show a motorcycle. .

Pretty obvious that a lot of the comments in this thread are from folks who have never operated a motorcycle. It's hard for a non-rider to understand what kinds of road hazards can quickly trip a motorcycle and cause a spill.

PeoplesElbow

4PM, quitting time for a lot of people was a real cluster

Nobody bothered to inform the people that actually work back there.

glhs837

Power with Control
Email being circulated from PAO on road closures / restrictions due to repairs.

Yeah, got that this AM :) And leaving was actually worse, was really like a gravel road, milling was horrible, bike was darting all over.

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
4PM, quitting time for a lot of people was a real cluster

Nobody bothered to inform the people that actually work back there.

sure was, i'm going to take golf course route till done... Plus no possible rock flings once back up to speed into windshield....

glhs837

Power with Control
And I made extra sure this AM, there are no warning signs of any change in road surface. Milling is very rough, and still tons of debris all over the surface. So, the number I was given for DPW, not answering this AM. You might think someone paying for this work might actually go take a look and see how it's going. God knows anything I ever do on base gets checked up on :)

bulldog

And I made extra sure this AM, there are no warning signs of any change in road surface. Milling is very rough, and still tons of debris all over the surface. So, the number I was given for DPW, not answering this AM. You might think someone paying for this work might actually go take a look and see how it's going. God knows anything I ever do on base gets checked up on :)

757-4732, ask for JP. He is the deputy PWO.

bilbur

I am curious why the light just past gate one was all screwed up this morning. Yesterday evening it was down but this morning it was almost like it was in the evening schedule, favoring traffic in the other direction.