What the hell is wrong with my network connection?

First of all, let me start off by saying I know NOTHING about networking. With that said...

Why is my wireless range so crappy in my little 1200sqft home?

I have Metrocast cable and a new NETGEAR modem/router (the modem that I had been renting from Metrocast for the past 6 years was worse), but I swear I have to be sitting in the same room as the router in order to get more than a single bar for signal strength. I don't think it's my router because I can see 4 or 5 other networks, which I'm assuming belong to my neighbors.

I'm not doing any gaming or anything so I'm not looking for blazing fast speed. I just want to be able to log into these forums to find out who pissed off whom on any given day without eating up all of my Verizon data.

Does any of this make sense to those of you or know such things?

hitchicken

Had a similar problem. I have an older house with plaster walls. The plaster was spread over a metal mesh. It's like being in a Faraday cage sometimes. Older home?

merc669

One thing you might try is buying a cheaper wireless router and configure that as a repeater or an access point. It could help in your situation to allow a stronger connection. Might be cheaper than a moving. Do a search on the internet fro Access Points on routers. Here is a You-Tube Video might help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oenmXhN9sqA

And One More but more technical;

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/networking/convert_wifi_router_to_access_point.htm

And I have used a pair of these in the past and they do work. You need two, but its great if you need to extend your network without running wires thru the house. Not as good as a direct connect but an additional option to try. Best Buy might carry these but here is alink to Amazon;

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...vptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_8du3mv7bbs_b

Last edited:
One thing you might try is buying a cheaper wireless router and configure that as a repeater or an access point. It could help in your situation to allow a stronger connection. Might be cheaper than a moving. Do a search on the internet fro Access Points on routers. Here is a You-Tube Video might help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oenmXhN9sqA

And One More but more technical;

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/networking/convert_wifi_router_to_access_point.htm

And I have used a pair of these in the past and they do work. You need two, but its great if you need to extend your network without running wires thru the house. Not as good as a direct connect but an additional option to try. Best Buy might carry these but here is alink to Amazon;

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...vptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_8du3mv7bbs_b

All excellent suggestions. I'll check them out, thank you =o)

merc669

Only if you want the additional speed. DOCSIS 3.0 is backwards compatible with 2.0. You just cannot get the speed increase. But for less than 100 to upgrade I would definitely spring for the newer version.

Only if you want the additional speed. DOCSIS 3.0 is backwards compatible with 2.0. You just cannot get the speed increase. But for less than 100 to upgrade I would definitely spring for the newer version.
Yeah, the letter didn't say I had to upgrade if I was 2.0, but I'm 100 so I do have to do so. I'm going with
NETGEAR N600 Wi-Fi DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem Router (C3700) which says its 8 times faster than 2.0 and will work with larger homes.

Yeah, the letter didn't say I had to upgrade if I was 2.0, but I'm 100 so I do have to do so. I'm going with
NETGEAR N600 Wi-Fi DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem Router (C3700) which says its 8 times faster than 2.0 and will work with larger homes.

That happens to be the exact router I have. As I said, I don't think it's my router because I can pick up other networks. As HitChicken mentioned, it could be the plaster walls in the house that is causing the issue.

I seem to remember something a few months ago where a poster mentioned an issue with their Metrocast signal being too strong and that they had to have filters or something put on.

Is there anyway to check that to see if it's an issue with my set up?

merc669

Well, if its a stock modem/router, I would think that by normal default it would put everything in an optimum setting. Unless you have gone in and adjust anything other than setting passwords and securing the wireless then I would not that that is the issue. Have you turned off any and all unnecessary apps? Maybe drop the firewall and see if that helps or gives you a faster speed? What Firewall and Virus software are you using? Chances are its the plaster walls and any support material (netting) helping the walls. They are probably as someone else mentioned Faraday Cage and blocking the signal. One thing you can also try and I think you already did this was to try different positions for the computer where the signal maybe stronger. If not I was looking at those Power Repeaters and saw one for 66 for the pair and up to 600mbs rate. Then you just run a CAT5E (Shielded) cable to the computer and forget wireless. Be faster that way.
Bill

LibertyBeacon

Unto dust we shall return
Try changing the wireless channel; there could be congestion. Just check the manual for your rig and it should walk you through it.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
That happens to be the exact router I have. As I said, I don't think it's my router because I can pick up other networks. As HitChicken mentioned, it could be the plaster walls in the house that is causing the issue.

I seem to remember something a few months ago where a poster mentioned an issue with their Metrocast signal being too strong and that they had to have filters or something put on.

Is there anyway to check that to see if it's an issue with my set up?
If you think it's the plaster causing the problem, why aren't the walls blocking the neighbors signal? Maybe you have a bad router.

hitchicken

I get lotsa neighbor's signals, too. Windows (the glass kind). It's not the plaster itself, it's the metal mesh the plaster was spread on.

To check for too much signal, put a passive signal splitter in line with your incoming cable. It will reduce the signal strength coming in. The Metrocast tech had to do this with me because I had too much signal strength.

merc669

You should have 11 of these channels. Do you have a smartphone? If so download this app and scan the frequencies its reading. It will also give you a channel list of whose is on what and or the busy channels. Works great for me and helps me get off the busy ones. Usually your router is set for "Auto" which works great most of the time. But for you it may not so try these if you can.
Android
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en
iPhone
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fing-network-scanner/id430921107?mt=8

hitchicken

The passive signal splitter is still connected to my incoming Metrocast cable line running through my basement. It has no markings I can see other than 'input/output'. It looks exactly like a OTA TV rf signal splitter one might use to connect one or more TVs to an incoming coax cable from an antenna. I don't know if there is any difference; frankly I don't think so.

Anywhere along the coax coming into your house and before the connection to the modem or modem/router (depending on what you got), insert the splitter leaving one output empty and the other going the remaining distance to your modem. By splitting the signal, you reduce its level at the output. That's my understanding.

Reducing the input level keeps the input circuits to the modem from clipping or 'chopping' the signal beyond their specifications. It prevents distortion. I don't think this should in any way affect the output level of the wifi circuits and antenna, but I am no expert.

As others have suggested, moving your wifi router to a more centralized location and taking advantage of doorways and openings in your house might help. Also, if you have an external antenna coax connection on your router, consider buying an antenna on the end of a length of coax cable. It makes limited repositioning easier. I did this early on and positioned it higher up and it improved the signal somewhat.

Good luck.