child psychiatrist?

I know I should probably post this in parenting & children but I'm hoping it will get more traction here.

I'm looking for a child psychiatrist in the SoMD area - will go as far as PG or AA, but would prefer not to have to regularly travel to DC (Childrens) or Bmore (KKI). NOT INTERESTED in Center for Children - already have a great counselor for the kid, just need a psychiatrist now.
Our insurance is pretty flexible, and we could pay out of pocket for the right one if we had to.
Any suggestions (or names of people to avoid!) are welcome. Please PM me if you're not willing to post here.

2BRN2B

No Question
Depending on type of psychiatrist, contact your local hospice centers. They are very good in giving referrals to people based on need. Chesapeake Hospice would be a great place to start.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Depending on type of psychiatrist, contact your local hospice centers. They are very good in giving referrals to people based on need. Chesapeake Hospice would be a great place to start.

What do you mean by, "Depending on type of psychiatrist"? The definition of hospice care is a type of care and philosophy of care that focuses on the palliation of a chronically ill, terminally ill or seriously ill patient's pain and symptoms, and attending to their emotional and spiritual needs

The OP is looking for a psychiatrist that not only accepts children but might specialize in handling children - which because of medications can be very different than those that deal with adolescents or adults.

To my knowledge there are no psychiatrists in the area that specialize in children. Apparently part of the problem is insurance, as in malpractice insurance. You may need to ask your pediatrician for a referral.

2BRN2B

No Question
What do you mean by, "Depending on type of psychiatrist"? The definition of hospice care is a type of care and philosophy of care that focuses on the palliation of a chronically ill, terminally ill or seriously ill patient's pain and symptoms, and attending to their emotional and spiritual needs

The OP is looking for a psychiatrist that not only accepts children but might specialize in handling children - which because of medications can be very different than those that deal with adolescents or adults.

To my knowledge there are no psychiatrists in the area that specialize in children. Apparently part of the problem is insurance, as in malpractice insurance. You may need to ask your pediatrician for a referral.

Some psychiatrists deal with eating disorders, others sexual assault, some divorced parents, the list goes on. But most do specialize in a given type or groups of type.

Hospices deal with a number of things, not just death. Albeit I acknowledge that the word "hospice" denotes all those things in general. They do A LOT of things with families, and because of this, have a multitude of resources at their disposal.

icequeen2727

Go to Dr. Aimee Alinsonorin in Solomons, MD Phone 410-326-2333. You will get her voice mail. She answers her own calls back. She is Excelllent!

KingFish

Nothing to see here
Ingrid America is in Dunkirk. 3175 W Ward Rd Ste 200Dunkirk, MD 20754 She is in the group of Dr. Gergely in Dunkirk.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Ingrid America is in Dunkirk. 3175 W Ward Rd Ste 200Dunkirk, MD 20754 She is in the group of Dr. Gergely in Dunkirk.

Just to clarify, Ingrid America is a counselor in Dr. Gergely's office, but she is not a psychiatrist. However, Dr. Gergely is a psychiatrist.

sm8

I am not sure if you are in the public school system but I know St. Mary's Co Public Schools has a child psychiatrist. I believe all of the school districts have one.

I am not sure if you are in the public school system but I know St. Mary's Co Public Schools has a child psychiatrist. I believe all of the school districts have one.

Child has been evaluated by the school psychiatrist - now trying to find someone to work with us on meds. Unfortunately, Dr. Gergely is a bit too...quick to try "heavier" meds for my taste...so we won't go back to him (we did try!).