King crab legs

BernieP

Resident PIA
King crab or snow crab? King crab is usually $16-19 a pound.

Maybe this quote from another website will help.
I've found just the opposite. King Crab is sweeter, snow crab saltier. And snow crab just doesn't provide enough meat - too much work, too little reward. I'll go for King Crab any day, regardless of price.

It was posted in reference to a previous comment. Most responders favored the king, as more meat and better taste. One poster reminded people that maybe a dozen years ago the Alaskan crab fishermen were throwing the snow crab back as the price was so low were as the king was much higher.

bilbur

Maybe this quote from another website will help.

It was posted in reference to a previous comment. Most responders favored the king, as more meat and better taste. One poster reminded people that maybe a dozen years ago the Alaskan crab fishermen were throwing the snow crab back as the price was so low were as the king was much higher.

This is true, King crab was even a little more reasonable when I was a kid. A long time ago the Chesapeake Bay Seafood House in Waldorf would do all you can eat King Crab. Even with the better price it was still something the family could only afford to do once a year. I can still remember how good it was though. Now the price is ridiculous due to regulations on how much can be caught per year.

limblips

PREMO Member
Yea, I know the diff. I was asking if the OP was really seeing King at $5.99/lb. Memories, Dad owned a seafood company. We always had King in the freezer, live hardshell clams/oysters/jumbo shrimp and fresh fish. Used to come home from school and snack on crab legs or shrimp.

Hannibal

Has to be snow crab legs. That is about an average price (actually $5.99/lb is pretty good). No way King crab is going for that nor do I think I would want to try it at that price.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Yea, I know the diff. I was asking if the OP was really seeing King at $5.99/lb. Memories, Dad owned a seafood company. We always had King in the freezer, live hardshell clams/oysters/jumbo shrimp and fresh fish. Used to come home from school and snack on crab legs or shrimp.

That's who the info was for, at that price it would be lower than what they pay the fisherman per pound.

Blister

This is true, King crab was even a little more reasonable when I was a kid. A long time ago the Chesapeake Bay Seafood House in Waldorf would do all you can eat King Crab. Even with the better price it was still something the family could only afford to do once a year. I can still remember how good it was though. Now the price is ridiculous due to regulations on how much can be caught per year.

I fell in love at Camp Spring's Chesapeake Bay Seafood House. I was dating a waitress who's buddies would serve us King Crab legs at the all u can eat trout price of $3.75. Paid for 1 pitcher of Bud(free refills) and ate and drank all night for about $20. She knew the way to my heart.

RPMDAD

I fell in love at Camp Spring's Chesapeake Bay Seafood House. I was dating a waitress who's buddies would serve us King Crab legs at the all u can eat trout price of $3.75. Paid for 1 pitcher of Bud(free refills) and ate and drank all night for about $20. She knew the way to my heart.

Used to go to the Camp Springs Chesapeake Bay Seafood House all the time. Loved that place.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Who did you use? We get them delivered a couple times a year or take a road trip.
A guy at my work took on the effort for gathering requests and getting them shipped down here. I'm unsure of how he made that happen, but I am glad to get the lobsters. :drool:

Me too! But only six...buddy of mine ordered 40!
A bunch of us ordered a lot, so I think the total order is probably about 500 lobsters (although that is a total guess on my part). My friends ordered 32, 20, and a few 15 and a few 10's. And those are just the ones that I know of. :biggrin:

Natron0915

A guy at my work took on the effort for gathering requests and getting them shipped down here. I'm unsure of how he made that happen, but I am glad to get the lobsters. :drool:

A bunch of us ordered a lot, so I think the total order is probably about 500 lobsters (although that is a total guess on my part). My friends ordered 32, 20, and a few 15 and a few 10's. And those are just the ones that I know of. :biggrin:

If we're talking about the same guy from the same company then we work together and don't even know it! Looks like he's getting almost 700! From what I understand, his family is in the business up in ME. They'll be caught Thursday, shipped to B-More, picked up and delivered to us on Friday.

LJ1999

I have seen the King Crab legs in Safeway a few times but I don't believe I have ever had one. How many legs does 1 person eat? The ones I've seen actually look like they could be holding a Pork Tenderloin inside the shell. Is the meat a lot smaller than the shell?