Heat Pumps

meddauna

So, my 22 year old heat pump finally croaked :dead:

Does anyone have any recommendations for an HVAC contractor? So far I have estimate appointments set up for TNBowes and SMO energy.

What sort of cost am I looking at for a new heat pump for 2400sq ft?

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
We purchased a complete system (you cannot usually replace just the compressor outside) for a house about your size for under $10,000 in March this year. It is a LENNOX system, compressor with SEER of 14.0 (if I remember correctly), 4 ton unit. Purchased it through COSTCO and F.H.Furr did the installation. If you "finance" through COSTCO, you get "12-months same as cash." Having bought in the "off season" before April, we got a significant savings. Purchase during "the season" costs significantly more. I am not an agent for or employee of COSTCO or F.H.Furr.

Last edited:

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
you will need both inside and outside units replaced with the new freon thats used. Guess the good news will be it will feel MUCH warmer using the new freon....

Smith

I had mine replaced a couple of year ago by Patuxent Heating and Air Conditioning, and I can't say enough good things about Greg and his crew. I got several estimates and Greg was the least pushy, the most knowledgeable, and offered me a great deal also.

You will need to replace both the inside and outside unit, since they are matched to work together. I ended up with an Amana 4-ton 18 SEER with 2-stage compressor and variable speed fan. It was under $7,000 and there were rebates from SMECO, plus an IRS deduction. I have rambler on a finished basement that is a little over 3,300 sq. ft. total, and while my heat pump is a little over-sized I do not regret it. My original unit was woefully under-sized at 2.5-ton and 13 SEER.

Roman

I had mine replaced a couple of year ago by Patuxent Heating and Air Conditioning, and I can't say enough good things about Greg and his crew. I got several estimates and Greg was the least pushy, the most knowledgeable, and offered me a great deal also.

You will need to replace both the inside and outside unit, since they are matched to work together. I ended up with an Amana 4-ton 18 SEER with 2-stage compressor and variable speed fan. It was under $7,000 and there were rebates from SMECO, plus an IRS deduction. I have rambler on a finished basement that is a little over 3,300 sq. ft. total, and while my heat pump is a little over-sized I do not regret it. My original unit was woefully under-sized at 2.5-ton and 13 SEER.
Greg is by far, the best. He works on our properties, and is as honest as they come. You won't go wrong with him.

NTNG

We have had TN Bowes for years. They installed the unit on our new home 10 years ago. I replaced ours this past spring. It did not fail, but was starting to show it's age, and I think it was undersized for our home. <2250 sq. feet > We replaced the entire system, including a newer high tech thermostat. New unit is 4 ton, 16 SEER. Boat motor and trailer was $6800 after rebates from Carrier and SMECO.

SamSpade

Actually, I have an unrelated question about heat pumps.

We have one for the area over our garage which was made into an extension of our home about 15-20 years ago. Some time ago, we added propane backup for the heat pump for the nights when it got really cold.

It may be my imagination, but I swear that thing uses propane EVERY single time it delivers heat instead of when it gets really cold (as 'backup heat'). As it is, we go through propane much too fast for it to be just a backup for a heat pump that heats a garage sized living space.

Is there a way to check, or a setting I may have overlooked? We have it set on 'heat', not 'emergency heat'. Anything else I'm not seeing?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

We have one for the area over our garage which was made into an extension of our home about 15-20 years ago. Some time ago, we added propane backup for the heat pump for the nights when it got really cold.

It may be my imagination, but I swear that thing uses propane EVERY single time it delivers heat instead of when it gets really cold (as 'backup heat'). As it is, we go through propane much too fast for it to be just a backup for a heat pump that heats a garage sized living space.

Is there a way to check, or a setting I may have overlooked? We have it set on 'heat', not 'emergency heat'. Anything else I'm not seeing?

Sounds like it is set up wrong, for sure. Ours kicks on the backup heat based on the size of the temperature error between actual room temperature and set temperature. I believe its 3 degrees....not 100% sure on that, and I'm not sure if that error value is something that can be adjusted...to make it 5 degrees, for example.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member

There is an adjustment setting on the outdoor unit.
Call someone to come out and look at what setting it is on, they can adjust it to come on at different temps.

Grumpy

2nd or 3rd this recommendation, honest, straight-forward guy

Restless

Be careful to say you just want an estimate - don't let them check your current unit or they will charge you $125 or so for the inspection.

Goldenhawk

Plenty of professionals recommend against oversizing the system.
https://www.google.com/search?q=oversized+hvac

One reason is that it actually costs MORE to heat and cool your house. A significant part of the operating cost is the first minute or two it is running, when it's doing all the freon pumping and air movement but the freon hasn't yet reached proper temperature, so you're not actually doing any heating or cooling. The more oversized the system is, the shorter each cycle has to be... and so the greater percentage of each cycle is this wasted first couple minutes.

And there are plenty of other good reasons...

Get it RIGHT sized, not oversized.

BOP

So, my 22 year old heat pump finally croaked :dead:

Does anyone have any recommendations for an HVAC contractor? So far I have estimate appointments set up for TNBowes and SMO energy.

What sort of cost am I looking at for a new heat pump for 2400sq ft?

Just call Hancock Heating and Air over in Loveville.