Not So Green Car

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
STUDY: YOUR ALL-ELECTRIC CAR MAY NOT BE SO GREEN

WASHINGTON (AP) -- People who own all-electric cars where coal generates the power may think they are helping the environment. But a new study finds their vehicles actually make the air dirtier, worsening global warming.

Ethanol isn't so green, either.

"It's kind of hard to beat gasoline" for public and environmental health, said study co-author Julian Marshall, an engineering professor at the University of Minnesota. "A lot of the technologies that we think of as being clean ... are not better than gasoline."

The key is where the source of the electricity all-electric cars. If it comes from coal, the electric cars produce 3.6 times more soot and smog deaths than gas, because of the pollution made in generating the electricity, according to the study that is published Monday by the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. They also are significantly worse at heat-trapping carbon dioxide that worsens global warming, it found.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Duh. But none of those pesky facts override the political considerations, of course....

Larry Gude

Strung Out
This is the important point;

"If we're using ethanol for environmental benefits, for air quality and climate change, we're going down the wrong path," Hill said.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
This is the important point;

"If we're using ethanol for environmental benefits, for air quality and climate change, we're going down the wrong path," Hill said.

But that is NOT what we're using ethanol for...so the point is moot. We are being forced to use ethanol 1) to pander to the environmental extreme left 2) to provide HUGE amounts of cash to certain segments of the agricultural industry.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
But that is NOT what we're using ethanol for...so the point is moot. We are being forced to use ethanol 1) to pander to the environmental extreme left 2) to provide HUGE amounts of cash to certain segments of the agricultural industry.

Right and I get that and I am saying that to say we need to use that point to help end the stupidity of corn ethanol. Methanol, as I understand the science, is THE ####.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Right and I get that and I am saying that to say we need to use that point to help end the stupidity of corn ethanol.

Good luck with that. The list of negatives associated with ethanol production and use has been known for a long time. Our marine manufacturers association joined with a number of affected parties in a lawsuit over the extensive damage that ethanol in gas is causing marine propulsion products. Case didn't even get heard.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Good luck with that. The list of negatives associated with ethanol production and use has been known for a long time. Our marine manufacturers association joined with a number of affected parties in a lawsuit over the extensive damage that ethanol in gas is causing marine propulsion products. Case didn't even get heard.

Ideally that can be built off of.

intertidal

Used to be able to get ethanol-free at Clarke's Landing. Plenty of places in VA and south (most Southern States) sell ethanol-free: www.pure-gas.org. I always use ethanol-free when traveling in the South for better performance, fuel economy and component longevity.

TPD

the poor dad
Used to be able to get ethanol-free at Clarke's Landing. Plenty of places in VA and south (most Southern States) sell ethanol-free: www.pure-gas.org. I always use ethanol-free when traveling in the South for better performance, fuel economy and component longevity.

Seen while in OK during thanksgiving holiday...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 292

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

Nearly all marina's now sell only ethanol-free gasoline; been that way for a few years. But in Maryland, there are few, if any, gas stations that do, and your average boater fills the tank mostly at gas stations and not marinas.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
So... it costs MORE to produce gasoline without ethanol?

Seems odd....

That would not be the case if ethanol subsidies disappeared and all gas became ethanol-free. The price difference we see now is pretty much a direct consequence of the govt. requirements for, and subsidies given to, ethanol production. Speaking of which, I though I read recently that those subsidies might be cut. Without the subsidies, ethanol production is not economically viable....putting the future of the government blending requirements in question.

We can hope.