Dash Cams

2BRN2B

No Question
Do any of you fine folk use a dash cam in your personal vehicles? I'm interested in getting one..

Things to consider? Pros vs. Cons?

Thanks.

hitchicken

Absolutely. Had 3 over the years. My latest is small and cheap.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-1-5-Ful...tal_Video_Recorders_Cards&hash=item48595ec477

It's one of those things you hope you will never need, but when you do, you'll thank God you have it. Pros: small, unobstructive, inexpensive, easy to attach/unattach. Uses standard video format for download and playback (no specialized software) Cons: Could do with a longer looping time. Should take down when parked to prevent sun heat damage and theft (perps don't know its cheap).

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
I'm sure our resident cop haters all have them. Maybe they'll chime in with feedback about all the times the nasty ole policeman behaved because her know they were recording him.... :killingme

hitchicken

If I were pulled over by a police officer, I would turn mine off and maybe take it down. I respect the law and its enforcers. I'm only interested in recording accidental or dangerous encounters with other motorists.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
If I were pulled over by a police officer, I would turn mine off and maybe take it down. I respect the law and its enforcers. I'm only interested in recording accidental or dangerous encounters with other motorists.
That wasn't directed at you Hit. :cheers: They know who they are (as do we).

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I'd like one for the bike.. but I want it to be an incident recorder.

ie, a 24 hour total record time (8 might work) but it would loop and record over the beginning until needed. Once something is captured you can remove the recording media and watch and record it, otherwise just leave it alone and let it record over and over again until something meaningful is captured and you stop it..

glhs837

Power with Control
Bob, that's how they work, why the long time though? A 2-3 minute loop should capture anything

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Bob, that's how they work, why the long time though? A 2-3 minute loop should capture anything

depending on the circumstance and the "incident" it may be 1/2 hour to a day before you realize the camera is still on and recording. 24 hours is the norm in a lot of critical situations..

2-3 minute loop? You could be unconscious for that long, wake up and go review your video to see blacktop and hear snoring in the background..

glhs837

Power with Control
depending on the circumstance and the "incident" it may be 1/2 hour to a day before you realize the camera is still on and recording. 24 hours is the norm in a lot of critical situations..

2-3 minute loop? You could be unconscious for that long, wake up and go review your video to see blacktop and hear snoring in the background..

" With G-sensor function. When gravitational acceleration reach 6g (1g=9.80m/s), this camera will save present video as undeletable files.
2. Automatic power on/off function, support recording start and shutdown synchronization with auto and save the video files after connect to the car power supply.
3. Support time setting,you can set the recording time before you start a driving.
4. Motion Detection: it will be recording automatically if there is an object movement and stop recording if no movement."

This description is from the $30 ebay one listed. I wouldnt buy a dashcam that didnt autofreeze upon impact.

I assumed the camera would trigger on an event and freeze the vid for the set timeframe. The dashcam app I used would use a set g-force and you could set the timeframe yourself.

2BRN2B

No Question
" With G-sensor function. When gravitational acceleration reach 6g (1g=9.80m/s), this camera will save present video as undeletable files.
2. Automatic power on/off function, support recording start and shutdown synchronization with auto and save the video files after connect to the car power supply.
3. Support time setting,you can set the recording time before you start a driving.
4. Motion Detection: it will be recording automatically if there is an object movement and stop recording if no movement."

This description is from the $30 ebay one listed. I wouldnt buy a dashcam that didnt autofreeze upon impact.

I assumed the camera would trigger on an event and freeze the vid for the set timeframe. The dashcam app I used would use a set g-force and you could set the timeframe yourself.

Why would you want one that didn't autofreeze? Wouldn't you want it not to freeze on impact or am I reading that wrong?

I had no idea about g force being a consideration. Thanks for pointing that out.

glhs837

Power with Control
Why would you want one that didn't autofreeze? Wouldn't you want it not to freeze on impact or am I reading that wrong?

I had no idea about g force being a consideration. Thanks for pointing that out.

I'm with the others in wanting an extended recording time. I don't think minutes will cut it.

Yes, I mean that I would not buy one unless it froze the buffer file upon impact.

2BR, why not? What scenario for a traffic event would need more than say three to give minutes? Maybe a high speed long distance car chase?

2BRN2B

No Question
Because of this...

Yes, I mean that I would not buy one unless it froze the buffer file upon impact.

2BR, why not? What scenario for a traffic event would need more than say three to give minutes? Maybe a high speed long distance car chase?

See above..

glhs837

Power with Control
So, it records five minutes. Upon impact (is there some non-impact event you might want to keep?) it freezes the last five minutes. So even if you are knocked out for three days, those five minutes are there, locked in. I think we are mixing up security cameras with dash cams. Home security cams, yes, you need a day or two buffer, but not a dash cam. So, we have taken away the "I was knocked out" scenario, since the camera doesnt rely on you to press a button to freeze it. What other scenario needs a buffer that long?