Got Predators? Don’t Shoot. Get a Llama.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
"In the exhausting business of growing and raising food, when predators come calling for fresh eggs, poultry, lamb or beef, the traditional farmer or rancher response has been — and, in most cases, still is — to “shoot, shovel and shut up”.

But, beginning in the ’90s, a new voice arose among North American agricultural producers that suggested shooting might not be the one-size-fits-all solution. Research began to emerge, for instance, that showed coyote populations rebounding intensely after being decimated by gunfire."

http://modernfarmer.com/2014/02/got-predators-dont-shoot-get-dog-llama/

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Where is our resident llama expert? I have thought about adding a donkey or llama in the past. Would they fight off a pack of dogs? I have a neighbor who has dogs that get out and I worry they will go into "pack mentality" and try to hurt my horses. I know of people who use certain dog breeds, or I've heard of Alpaca's, donkeys, mules, Emu, and llama's being used.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I once lived where they had a goose. That thing is quite an early warning system. Plus it would bite. Often. Leaving bruises. You had to make eye contact with it in order to hold him at bay. Once you got distracted it was game on. He'd clamp down and didn't let go. I called him Sid. Sid Vicious. Sid hated the broom, which I yielded to my advantage.

sid.jpg

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I once lived where they had a goose. That thing is quite an early warning system. Plus it would bite. Often. Leaving bruises. You had to make eye contact with it in order to hold him at bay. Once you got distracted it was game on. He'd clamp down and didn't let go. I called him Sid. Sid Vicious. Sid hated the broom, which I yielded to my advantage.

View attachment 106171

Awww he looks like by Goose boyfriend Stanley.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I once lived where they had a goose. That thing is quite an early warning system. ]

I've got two and they are great alarms. And they don't get 'used' to anything. Not even me. If I am coming along, they let me know I am approaching. :lol:

Key to geese is to try and hug them when they come at you but, if you have fear, it won't work. You have to really want to hug them. They HATE it and will leave you be. Mine, I hand feed.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I've got two and they are great alarms. And they don't get 'used' to anything. Not even me. If I am coming along, they let me know I am approaching. :lol:

Key to geese is to try and hug them when they come at you but, if you have fear, it won't work. You have to really want to hug them. They HATE it and will leave you be. Mine, I hand feed.

Stanley belongs to a friend of mine and I met him during the Spring. I squatted down at his level to pet him and he promptly tried to mount me. That's how he became my boyfriend LOL. I have picked him up and he was ok with it for a few minutes.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Stanley belongs to a friend of mine and I met him during the Spring. I squatted down at his level to pet him and he promptly tried to mount me. That's how he became my boyfriend LOL. I have picked him up and he was ok with it for a few minutes.

My two males got killed trying to eat car tires while they were moving. The tires. So, now I have to gals and they mount one another in the spring. One time while in the pond, it was hot, girl on girl water sports. When the top one was was 'done' she just rolled off one side into the water. What a hoot!!!

itsbob

I bowl overhand

View attachment 106171

Aunt in CT rented geese every year.. from early spring to late fall. Helped with visitors, but also kept the copperheads (that the state insisted didn't exist as far North as CT) at bay.

Army used them to protect/ guard our anti aircraft sites. Generally out in remote area, and geese were cheaper, and easier to care for than dogs. If you could get through a gaggle of geese trying to eat you, you REALLY wanted what was on the other side..