Drive to Ok being only 18

• yes

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • no

Votes: 7 77.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

catlingirl

Would you let them? I know he's an adult but he's never gone more than an hr away. I'm just worried about his experince driving. He seems to be a good driver.

mamatutu

mama to two
That is your decision as a parent. Why are you taking a poll? Would you really rely on what other people say? I did not vote.

Edit: I should add that I don't consider myself the best parent ever. Far from it. My children are grown and doing their own thing for better or worse. I just think as long as you have a say so, say it. If it gives you anxiety to let him drive to OK, then don't let him go. He has plenty of time to spread his wings after you are not a factor in his decisions. Children really do appreciate that parents care, even though they don't let on! :smile:

Last edited:

musiclady

Maybe if he has another driver with him. How long has he been driving? Mine wanted to drive to Myrtle Beach and I convinced her to go to Ocean City instead. I would think he needs several shorter trips first. However, I drove from Ohio to Florida at 18. Now I understand why my parents were freaking out. I took two other drivers but I drove the whole way. When I was due to come back, my parents had my grandfather fly down to drive back with me because they didn't want me driving alone.

R

rhenderson

The bigger question than his driving skill is his maturity and why he wants to go to OK. Would he stick to a "driving plan" where you and he planned out stops and overnight stays?

Would flying be an alternative? How long is he staying . Use an on-line map to plan out the route, and stops for meals and overnight stays.

A quick check on Google Maps says it is about 1330 miles from La Plata to Oklahoma (center of state) and takes about 20 hours to drive. This should be a three day trip ONE -WAY - use about 53 gallons of gas (at 25 MPG) and cost about $135 for gas (at $2.50 /gal.) plus check for tolls. They can really add up. Add to that three days of meals and two overnight motel stays. If he is returning - double that.

Also, make sure to check weather forecasts. Snow/ice storms in the mid-west can be formidable compared to anything we have here. (That means a money reserve for emergencies,)

Half way across the country and +"guess-timated" total costs here of $350 one way/ $700 round trip + three consecutive days in a car (twice) makes flying an attractive alternative.

R

rhenderson

By the way - Don't just say NO. Sit down with him, plan it out like I suggested above and let him evaluate the facts. His demeanor and reaction to planning this out and the logic he uses in making his decisions will give you a big clue as to how maturely he's approaching the idea. Also, would he have a access to a car in Oklahoma for moving around while he is there?

Would you let them? I know he's an adult but he's never gone more than an hr away. I'm just worried about his experince driving. He seems to be a good driver.

"Bye son, have a safe trip. Check in now and then on the way (not while driving, do it at stops) and give us a cal when you get there. :howdy:"

Roman

I wouldn't let him drive. Too long of a trip, assuming he's driving alone. He may be 18, but as long as he resides in your home, he has to follow your rules.

glhs837

Power with Control
I think going from 1 hour drives to a 2600 mile round trip, in the winter, given what's most likely a dearth of experience with real winter conditions, might be a bit of a jump.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
You have to let them flock the nest at some point. He's 18, he's an adult. However, if YOU maintain the vehicle, you have the choice to say yes or no he can't take it. My daughter (17 and graduated) has driven all over on her own and with friends. It is the only way she is going to learn how to drive in different conditions, roads, etc. She'll be traveling by herself to NJ in a few weeks. I'm nervous but I can't keep her my "baby" forever.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The only one of us who knows this kid is OP, so she'd have a better handle on whether or not he's mature enough to take a trip like this. However, my initial thought was: he is old enough to go in the military, play with explosives, and be sent to a foreign country where people might be shooting at him, but not old enough to drive cross country?

glhs837

Power with Control
The only one of us who knows this kid is OP, so she'd have a better handle on whether or not he's mature enough to take a trip like this. However, my initial thought was: he is old enough to go in the military, play with explosives, and be sent to a foreign country where people might be shooting at him, but not old enough to drive cross country?

I'm just gonna note in passing, the military gave me a lot of training before allowing me to play with explosives, and took a lot of effort to make sure that I was ready to deal with foreign cultures. Being old enough to do a thing, and being capable are two entirely different things.

MMDad

Lem Putt
I'm just gonna note in passing, the military gave me a lot of training before allowing me to play with explosives, and took a lot of effort to make sure that I was ready to deal with foreign cultures. Being old enough to do a thing, and being capable are two entirely different things.

Ha! The military gave me zero training with an M-14 before handing me one and 30 rounds.

sdm

I was 18 when my grandfather passed in Wagoner, OK. Mom, Dad and I drove out in the car. We drove Pop Pop's truck home. Mom couldn't drive a stick so Dad and I took turns driving both vehicles. Mom rode shotgun the whole way. I can tell you it was a long drive for me, but it was also exciting to drive back by myself in a vehicle (mom stayed in the car the whole time). We overnighted in a hotel just east of Nashville. I was very thankful Dad chose to stop because at that point I was overly fatigued. That was back in the early 80's when not so many nuts were on the road. My daughter was 19 when she left for Cali. My heart was in my throat the whole time but I had to let her go. Coach them as much as you can but I say let them go. They have to spread their wings sometime. Just instill the good 'ol family values in them and trust they will do the right thing.