Christmas Village at fairgrounds.....

Mavis

Did anyone go to the Christmas village at the fairgrounds Leonardtown last night?
We went and it was good. Free parking and free to go in. It's on until Sunday ( check times ) and has a variety of entertainments stalls and rides, plus live music in the evening. If going during the evening be sure to wrap up warm it was freezing last night!

TPD

the poor dad
I was thinking about taking the fam damly this evening - is it worth me sobering up for or can I go drunk in order to keep warm?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Quite a bit for little kids, nothing really for teens. A lot of craft booths.

KingFish

Nothing to see here
If you find craft fairs very boring and you were hoping for a lot of Christmas sights, you will be disappointed.

challengedone

Overall nice job by SouthPoint Church organizing this event. There are many things to do for adults and kids but the numbers of people make it difficult to move about. There has never been an event of this magnitude for free at Christmas time for families to do in St. Mary's County other than Knott's farm. I am sure SouthPoint Church can make this into annual event and improve over this year's first try. So relax, enjoy and go early.

terbear1225

We enejoyed it. VERY crowded so it was hard to see everything. Definitely room to grow. Saw on facebook that the turnout is double what they expected already.

BernieP

Resident PIA
We enejoyed it. VERY crowded so it was hard to see everything. Definitely room to grow. Saw on facebook that the turnout is double what they expected already.

I'm happy for them that they got the turnout they did. On the downside, parking and traffic need some work.
Also, when we were there the entertainment schedule was empty and the living nativity was as well. Wasn't really in the shopping mood, mine is done.
But for getting a late start, a B+ for the effort. Great turnout, hopefully next year they do it again and some of the shortcomings are addressed.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Monello and I went yesterday and enjoyed it but I think it was designed more for older people and those with young children. We didn't see any of the entertainment, but the vendors were pretty cool and they really did a nice job decorating the grounds. It was festive and better than many of the county events of this nature. The free parking and admission sealed the deal for me; I hate spending $5 to get in, then it's just a bunch of crap.

We ate a stuffed ham sandwich from SIGS and ice cream from the truck, and I bought some delicious smelling body butter and scrub.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
I didn't enjoy myself too much, it was unbelievably packed and there wasn't much to do..However, I think it has so much room to grow and expand and become a great event. I loved hearing the hymns from the church service (which was very packed) For a first year I thought it was solid. Needs more of everything (space, food, entertainment) and I think it will be a classic event.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
Friends of ours waited in traffic for an hour to get in and finally gave up. Couple people posted on FB that they didn't think there was enough to do for the kids. I didn't go because I assumed it would be super crowded. I like the idea though. Maybe do more than one weekend and work the kinks out with parking, space, etc.

Friends of ours waited in traffic for an hour to get in and finally gave up. Couple people posted on FB that they didn't think there was enough to do for the kids. I didn't go because I assumed it would be super crowded. I like the idea though. Maybe do more than one weekend and work the kinks out with parking, space, etc.
They had several craft making activity booths set up.

I think that some folks are missing the intent of the event. It seems to me that provided what they advertised and that the entire intent of the event was to provide a family oriented place where folks could gather in fellowship and enjoy the vendors, sights and sounds of Christmas. If that's what you went for you certainly got it. I they did well for their first year considering they didn't expect the huge turnout they received. I look forward to next year... :yay:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Couple people posted on FB that they didn't think there was enough to do for the kids.

Good lord, that's all there was :lol: Face painting and temp tattoos, the slide and "ice" skating, "sleigh" and train rides, plus the animals. Even the live entertainment was geared toward kids.

But it's interesting you'd mention that because I'm curious if kids enjoy that sort of thing anymore. They've gotten so jaded with electronic entertainment and high excitement that I'm wondering if a little train ride and blow up slide would even interest them.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
Good lord, that's all there was :lol: Face painting and temp tattoos, the slide and "ice" skating, "sleigh" and train rides, plus the animals. Even the live entertainment was geared toward kids.

But it's interesting you'd mention that because I'm curious if kids enjoy that sort of thing anymore. They've gotten so jaded with electronic entertainment and high excitement that I'm wondering if a little train ride and blow up slide would even interest them.

It could be that since it was so crowded, maybe they missed those things. I think most kids would enjoy the slide, not sure about the craft things. I could see some older kids thinking the sleigh ride was lame. I believe it was only a few minutes long. Hopefully if they do this again next year, they will be prepared for the crowd. A few were complaining they waited over an hour for the sleigh ride (he's the one that said it was about 3 mins long). Which, I'd agree long wait for something that doesn't last long. I'm sure they will try to improve next time.