Jake & Al's Chophouse is closed?

BernieP

Resident PIA
It sucked, that's what happened. I was more a bar than a chophouse, it turned into a place you didn't want to go to for dinner.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The food was good but the service was consistently terrible. One time I went there and had great service - our waitress was CDSulhoff from the forums :cds: Every other time it was mediocre to terrible. Which is too bad because I do love a good chop house, but if my steak is congealed when it arrives that becomes a problem.

Bay_Kat

Tropical
Went there once while I lived in Calvert, I got the bar feel and when we ordered food the "bartender" acted like she didn't want to bother getting food. Never tried it again after that.

BernieP

Resident PIA
IMHO, if you wanted to open a Chop House - steaks and chops - you need to consider going upscale a little more than down. We have all the chain places, two faux cowboy and one Aussie, for casual dining. Plus Applebees and Ruby Tuesday that serve steak. All casual dining, with a bar. Hard to compete on price and keep quality against the chains. So don't fight the price war, offer something different, a better quality meal, a more fine dining appeal.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
IMHO, if you wanted to open a Chop House - steaks and chops - you need to consider going upscale a little more than down.

Depends on how upscale you're talking. I hate those schmincy steak houses where you pay $30+ for a hunk of beef, then $5 for each side dish. That's annoying and I've never found it to be worth the price. I'm a food snob about a lot of things but I draw the line at Ruth's Chris and other "upscale" chain steak houses.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Depends on how upscale you're talking. I hate those schmincy steak houses where you pay $30+ for a hunk of beef, then $5 for each side dish. That's annoying and I've never found it to be worth the price. I'm a food snob about a lot of things but I draw the line at Ruth's Chris and other "upscale" chain steak houses.

Obviously prices would be higher, more on the line of what you would pay for a meal at CD Café, Dry Dock, Café D'Artist etc. That said, I don't think it would work in this area. I don't think there are enough people in the local area that would support another fine dining option. Let's face it, look at the places that do the most business, buffets and bars. A good quality piece of beef at the market will cost you around $17-$18 per pound for USDA Choice. Of course that's going to translate into a $30 steak, but you could probably do a steak (of less than a pound), plus a baked potato and salad for around $30. But if you want the food prepared properly and good service it adds to the cost.

It's got to be more upscale than say Outback or Texas Roadhouse or Longhorn. More along the lines of CD Café, Café D' Artist but focused on steaks and chops

Pete

Repete
Obviously prices would be higher, more on the line of what you would pay for a meal at CD Café, Dry Dock, Café D'Artist etc. That said, I don't think it would work in this area. I don't think there are enough people in the local area that would support another fine dining option. Let's face it, look at the places that do the most business, buffets and bars. A good quality piece of beef at the market will cost you around $17-$18 per pound for USDA Choice. Of course that's going to translate into a $30 steak, but you could probably do a steak (of less than a pound), plus a baked potato and salad for around $30. But if you want the food prepared properly and good service it adds to the cost.

It's got to be more upscale than say Outback or Texas Roadhouse or Longhorn. More along the lines of CD Café, Café D' Artist but focused on steaks and chops

I think it would if they were consistent. All of the places you mentioned in your post have one thing in common, the experience is consistent. J&A was far from it. So when the value is factored in Texas Road House is a solid B all the time whereas J&A might average to a B with half the experiences being C or worse and half B or better. People remember the A's but the C's and D's are seared into their heads.

I cannot understand how Lenny's stays open. It is like clockwork, one time decent, the next is bad beyond description until you get tired of the roulette wheel of satisfaction.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I cannot understand how Lenny's stays open. It is like clockwork, one time decent, the next is bad beyond description until you get tired of the roulette wheel of satisfaction.

Exactly. I don't think I'll ever go back. Same as DB McMillans. I wonder if they will be closing down soon.

Pete

Repete
Exactly. I don't think I'll ever go back. Same as DB McMillans. I wonder if they will be closing down soon.

Probably because you can't beat numbers. I do not get how you can open and run a place yet allow it to be sub par. The numbers soon align against you.

I have only been to DB's a couple times so the wheel hasn't landed on "terrible" yet but I believe given the management is the same as the 3 previous flops in that building and the word on the street it is a matter of time.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Probably because you can't beat numbers. I do not get how you can open and run a place yet allow it to be sub par. The numbers soon align against you.

I have only been to DB's a couple times so the wheel hasn't landed on "terrible" yet but I believe given the management is the same as the 3 previous flops in that building and the word on the street it is a matter of time.

The last time I was there (several years ago) the 3 of us all got food poisoning. Never went back.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Interesting, I didn't know the Tides was changing hands. It's a shame, if DB's was floundering how long before Blue Wind sucks balls.

My thoughts exactly. I do look forward to Rob's new endeavor.

SG_Player1974

I'm surprised that the Tides lasted as long as it did! I mean... look at where we are. Like it or not, the area is filled with a lot of rednecks with big paychecks due to the base. Sorry if that hurts feelings but its true.

Now, regardless of how much money they have... they are still rednecks! They don't want high dollar eating and "atmosphere." They want places like Outback, Ruby Tuesday, Applebee's, etc.

Want proof? Drive by ANY of these mentioned places ANY day of the week between 4pm and 7pm. PERIOD!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
if DB's was floundering how long before Blue Wind sucks balls.

This ^^

I do look forward to Rob's new endeavor.

And this ^^

Sorry about Blue Wind - I didn't go there often but the food was always top notch. Creative and delicious. By contrast, Tides was overrated and consistently mediocre, with the service being downright bad. I'm setting a reminder for March and the opening of Elements - that sounds like a winner. :yay:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
This ^^

And this ^^

Sorry about Blue Wind - I didn't go there often but the food was always top notch. Creative and delicious. By contrast, Tides was overrated and consistently mediocre, with the service being downright bad. I'm setting a reminder for March and the opening of Elements - that sounds like a winner. :yay:

I never had bad service at Tides, just very slow. That's somewhat fine if you are having a leisurely dinner and are in no hurry, but not during a short lunch hour.