Online scolding nets 1 soldier an Army Commendation Medal

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
As far as I know this isn't a faux story. Man how times have changed in the US armed forces.

First Sgt. Katrina Moerk, now the first sergeant of Charlie Company, 741st Military Intelligence Battalion, was browsing a social media network's community page earlier this year, when she came upon a video that she found offensive and sexist. When she commented as much, several respondents attacked her with insults. Some of these respondents were wearing uniforms in their profile photos, the first sergeant said, so she wrote to them directly.

"I looked them up, introduced myself and explained to them why they were stupid. And I [copied] the director of the Army SHARP program to help their units improve their SHARP training, because it was obviously lacking. And it's kind of blown up from there," Moerk said.

For her willingness to stand up and defend Army values, Moerk received an Army Commendation Medal from Lt. Gen. James C. McConville

go army

edinsomd

I suppose her entire chain of command appreciates her going VFR direct to an SES at the Pentagon. For this she gets the coveted Blue Falcon award. congrats.

BOP

Yeah, she doesn't seem to be too keen on that whole chain of command thing, does she? Sounds like she's bucking for E-9. By-passing several chains of command, including her own, is almost a guarantee she won't make it.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

What a bunch of aholes. The guy who wrote that, and most of the aholes commenting. Their comments alone tell me that Sgt. Moerk is telling the truth and they're a bunch of neanderthal pigs. She "goaded" him into saying that filthy ####? Really? Nice self control ya got there, dickhead.

You know, I get that these guys are a bunch of warriors with that grunting A-guy mentality, but to show such disrespect not only to women but to a fellow solider is disgraceful.

edinsomd

What a bunch of aholes. The guy who wrote that, and most of the aholes commenting. Their comments alone tell me that Sgt. Moerk is telling the truth and they're a bunch of neanderthal pigs. She "goaded" him into saying that filthy ####? Really? Nice self control ya got there, dickhead.

You know, I get that these guys are a bunch of warriors with that grunting A-guy mentality, but to show such disrespect not only to women but to a fellow solider is disgraceful.

In the military world, and as she well knew, one has the responsibility to use the chain of command to "fix" the problem at the lowest level possible. A call to the soldier's own First Sergeants would have most likely fixed the problem most ricky-tick. No, she went straight to a SES at the Pentagon bypassing protocol, and got her name up in lights. She'll never be trusted by her peers again. I hope it was worth it to her, but her career is done. No selection board will touch her after this.

THATS what the guys (and quite a few of the gals, if you read more) are saying. SHE was disrespectful in bypassing the chain of command and denying her peers the chance to fix the issue. If they don't, fine. Then elevate it. I know this is difficult for a civilian to understand, but she knew all of this perfectly well, and knowing the current toxic climate in the military, used this to her own advantage. And is now paying the price.

Better?

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
In the military world, and as she well knew, one has the responsibility to use the chain of command to "fix" the problem at the lowest level possible. A call to the soldier's own First Sergeants would have most likely fixed the problem most ricky-tick. No, she went straight to a SES at the Pentagon bypassing protocol, and got her name up in lights. She'll never be trusted by her peers again. I hope it was worth it to her, but her career is done. No selection board will touch her after this.

THATS what the guys (and quite a few of the gals, if you read more) are saying. SHE was disrespectful in bypassing the chain of command and denying her peers the chance to fix the issue. If they don't, fine. Then elevate it. I know this is difficult for a civilian to understand, but she knew all of this perfectly well, and knowing the current toxic climate in the military, used this to her own advantage. And is now paying the price.

Better?

:like:
Very good post.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Either way her actions don't rise to the level of getting a medal.

acommondisaster

I know her type and always dreaded working with one. I could be sure that they would be completely disinterested in getting anything accomplished that didn't involve them, their career and their time off. I can pretty much imagine how she kept the story alive until she got what she wanted. Me Me Me, I I I, They They They. Meanwhile, the rest of the people do her work. Ugh. The temptation to key her car and kick the 5 or 6 cats she probably has would be very strong.