How many accidents and deaths before this bus stop is moved?

steppinthrax

On my way to work I come down rt 4. I'm seeing this yellow sign on my right saying something like "How many more accidents and deaths before this bus stop is moved". Later I see a state "School Bus Stop Sign". I would agree the bus stop is in a bad area. Does anyone have any background on this, it's right before you get to the Deale exit.

Chris0nllyn

On my way to work I come down rt 4. I'm seeing this yellow sign on my right saying something like "How many more accidents and deaths before this bus stop is moved". Later I see a state "School Bus Stop Sign". I would agree the bus stop is in a bad area. Does anyone have any background on this, it's right before you get to the Deale exit.

I'm curious as to how many people have died there.

I'm also curious if the bus simply stops in rt.4 or what.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Background? It's a bus stop. I've been driving that road for the last 30+ years and as far as I know and can remember there has never been an accident involving a bus there. There have been accidents in that stretch without the bus being involved, though.

The stop is here because kids live back the private road and school buses can not go onto private roads.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Background? It's a bus stop. I've been driving that road for the last 30+ years and as far as I know and can remember there has never been an accident involving a bus there. There have been accidents in that stretch without the bus being involved, though.

The stop is here because kids live back the private road and school buses can not go onto private roads.

So either the people on the private road want a change in policy or someone was involved in an accident they believe was caused by the bus stopping and want it moved.

glhs837

Power with Control
I'll take number one for $200, Alex. It's either overprotective parent syndrome, or lazy azz parent that doesn't want to take the kid down the road.

CrashTest

Around Calvert, it seems the busses stop just about in front of every kid's house. I guess too much liability making the kids walk down to the corner.

steppinthrax

OK, I see now,

So it looks like there may have been accidents there but no kids hurt....

I still kind of agree with where the stop is located, for some reason car drive real fast down that road. All it needs to take is some ####### that burrows his/her way through the bus stop while kids are present. But where can you move it?

BernieP

Resident PIA
OK, I see now,

I still kind of agree with where the stop is located, for some reason car drive real fast down that road. All it needs to take is some ####### that burrows his/her way through the bus stop while kids are present. But where can you move it?

more than likely the kids have been protected by a car stopped for the bus when someone gets caught asleep at the switch and WHAM, it's grill meet taillight time.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I'll take number one for $200, Alex. It's either overprotective parent syndrome, or lazy azz parent that doesn't want to take the kid down the road.

whatever happened to walking? To the bus stop and waiting for the bus. Damn you would think the kids melt. Freaking had to walk to school when it was inside the 1.5 mile marker. So walking to a bus stop even a 0.5 miles away and waiting was a luxury. Yes, we lived in a subdivision and the bus did not stop on every corner, it might have made 4 stops in the entire route. You picked the closest stop to your house and walked. And you WAITED for the bus, the bus did not wait for you. Hell, if you were ten feet behind the bus and it was loaded, the driver would leave.

Chris0nllyn

Around Calvert, it seems the busses stop just about in front of every kid's house. I guess too much liability making the kids walk down to the corner.

I had to walk to the end of my road when I was younger. Couple that with my driveway and it was a bout a mile bike ride.

Not horrible, but I'm pretty sure it was because my bus driver was lazy. I felt bad for the kids at the end of the road.

OK, I see now,

They just built a baseball/football field down that road didn't they? I don't see why the bus couldn't pull in there and turn around.

RPMDAD

Trying to figure out where this is, are you travelling sbound or nbound in the morning, pretty sure you you are in AA county. If you are nbound towards DC pretty sure i know where you are talking about.

RPMDAD

CT, in my neighborhood in Calvert all the kids have to walk out of the development to the main road to catch the bus. It is a bit of a walk for some of them, but i am sure they will survive.

steppinthrax

whatever happened to walking? To the bus stop and waiting for the bus. Damn you would think the kids melt. Freaking had to walk to school when it was inside the 1.5 mile marker. So walking to a bus stop even a 0.5 miles away and waiting was a luxury. Yes, we lived in a subdivision and the bus did not stop on every corner, it might have made 4 stops in the entire route. You picked the closest stop to your house and walked. And you WAITED for the bus, the bus did not wait for you. Hell, if you were ten feet behind the bus and it was loaded, the driver would leave.

Oh god I don't want to hear this.... When I was your age I used to walk 5 miles to school in the snow and rain bull#### LMAO.

steppinthrax

more than likely the kids have been protected by a car stopped for the bus when someone gets caught asleep at the switch and WHAM, it's grill meet taillight time.

Unless it's a big truck the car will likely go underneath the bus rising it up. Also there is supposed to be a small arm that swings out so kids are not supposed to go in front of the bus when it's stopped, but who knows.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Trying to figure out where this is, are you travelling sbound or nbound in the morning, pretty sure you you are in AA county. If you are nbound towards DC pretty sure i know where you are talking about.

It's between Fisher Station and the exit for old RTE 4 that takes you to Wayson's, down in the dip. Right across from a crossover. Old barn, old tobacco fields now mostly in corn.

Gus911

The issue isn't so much the bus itself, it starts flashing well in advance. It's the cars stopped behind the bus that are vulnerable to vehicles blindly cresting the hill with no shoulder for a panic stop.

Beta

Smile!
This is the worst. Nothin like stopping every 20 feet on a main road because every house needs a bus stop.

St Mary's does the same thing. It holds up traffic, creates more dangerous sudden stops on the roads, etc. There have to be better/safer ways to handle this.

BernieP

Resident PIA
QUOTE=steppinthrax;5476988]Oh god I don't want to hear this.... When I was your age I used to walk 5 miles to school in the snow and rain bull#### LMAO.[/QUOTE]

It's not hyperbole, it's fact. buses stop at almost every intersection in the community. If you happen to get lucky to follow a bus you get to watch as the bus waits for the kids to stroll up, to get out of cars. Our school system had a rule, if you were within a mile and a half radius of the school you were a "walker" - we did get late bus service for sports and after school activities (well late and late, late buses). Fact, not fantasy, we were expected to be AT the bus stop waiting for the bus, the bus did not wait for us. The buses did not stop at every cross street in the community. In a day and age where we are allegedly energy conscious it seems ironic that we make the buses stop every tenth of a mile.
In a system that struggles to cover the schools it's ironic how much time is wasted on extra stops and waiting on children.
Unless it's a big truck the car will likely go underneath the bus rising it up. Also there is supposed to be a small arm that swings out so
kids are not supposed to go in front of the bus when it's stopped, but who knows.

The arm does not preclude them from going in front of the bus, it's suppose to force them far enough in front that the driver can see them. I doubt kids are crossing the road anyway.