DC people mentality

steppinthrax

So I live in the Owings/Dunkirk area, I work in Downtown DC. I just notice the "personality" difference with DC people. To me they seem more difficult to deal with and/or closed minded. In some ways they seem very pretentious.

BernieP

Resident PIA
So I live in the Owings/Dunkirk area, I work in Downtown DC. I just notice the "personality" difference with DC people. To me they seem more difficult to deal with and/or closed minded. In some ways they seem very pretentious.

Funny, the people who come down here from DC say the people here are a bunch of redneck bumpkins.

Chris0nllyn

It's life in the city. :shrug:

People aren't going to hold the door open for you, and they sure as hell aren't going to say, "thank you" when you hold it for them.

dan0623_2000

Go to Baltimore. Most people I have encountered there are polite and friendly. If you say good day to them they reply the same ot you. Say good day in DC and either they totally ignore you or look ar you like you are some kind of slime. Also the people in Baltimore know how to use turn signals and merge into traffic.

BernieP

Resident PIA

People aren't going to hold the door open for you, and they sure as hell aren't going to say, "thank you" when you hold it for them.

Guess what, they don't do that in Southern Maryland, or a lot of other places. If you hold the door, well you could be there a long time because people will just keep going thru and not a word will be said. The only difference in driving is the vehicle, Mercedes sedan versus a Ford Super Duty 4x4 jacked up.

Chris0nllyn

Guess what, they don't do that in Southern Maryland, or a lot of other places. If you hold the door, well you could be there a long time because people will just keep going thru and not a word will be said. The only difference in driving is the vehicle, Mercedes sedan versus a Ford Super Duty 4x4 jacked up.

Maybe I've been lucky, but I tend to get "thank you" when holding the door for people.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
And both are correct ;-)

Think about it. A large portion of the people you encounter in D.C. are the dregs sent here by all 50 states, four territories and much of the United Nations. You're more likely to meet them than those in town after commuting from So. MD.

RPMDAD

Makes me glad i live in Cal. Co., i see people holding doors open for strangers and receiving Thank you's everyday, i guess it's the small things that count so big.

officeguy

Think about it. A large portion of the people you encounter in D.C. are the dregs sent here by all 50 states, four territories and much of the United Nations. You're more likely to meet them than those in town after commuting from So. MD.

I find native Washingtonians to be very unpretentious and easy to get along with. As you note, most of the people in DC are not from DC.

BOP

Go to Baltimore. Most people I have encountered there are polite and friendly. If you say good day to them they reply the same ot you. Say good day in DC and either they totally ignore you or look ar you like you are some kind of slime. Also the people in Baltimore know how to use turn signals and merge into traffic.

And they're polite before, during, and after the mugging as well.

H

Hodr

Maybe I've been lucky, but I tend to get "thank you" when holding the door for people.

I guess I occasionally hear a thank you. To be honest I was raised in a city and holding the door for the person behind you was just something you did. You didn't expect to receive a thank you when holding the door for the next person, and you didn't say thank you when it was held for you.

It's possible that a lot of the misunderstanding between country and city folk comes down to communication and the difference between the "pace" of their lifestyles. I may do something as a courtesy, but I am also in a hurry. My expectation is that you will pass along the courtesy to the next person, not thank me directly.

Chris0nllyn

I guess I occasionally hear a thank you. To be honest I was raised in a city and holding the door for the person behind you was just something you did. You didn't expect to receive a thank you when holding the door for the next person, and you didn't say thank you when it was held for you.

It's possible that a lot of the misunderstanding between country and city folk comes down to communication and the difference between the "pace" of their lifestyles. I may do something as a courtesy, but I am also in a hurry. My expectation is that you will pass along the courtesy to the next person, not thank me directly.

I think a lot of people feel the same way. I'm sure many folks that do good on a daily basis don't do it for recognition, but because it's the right thing to do.

SugarBear47

I think the personality/mentality difference is all of Maryland, not just DC. Born here but lived in WV, PA, FL, SC ...after coming back here I find this is a very pretentious, and at the same time, very passive area, especially southern Maryland. Sorry to say I do not feel comfortable in my own home state now. It's like people are closed minded...in denial...to the point of being unfriendly. Didn't used to be this way.