guitar lessons

MarylandGeorge

I'm looking for beginner guitar lessons. Anyone know who teaches guitar? I've tried the local music shop here but they don't seem to be in a hurry to work with me.

tuffenuff2

Drove past a trailer in Leonardtown advertising music lessons-301-653-5533. It had an image of somebody playing guitar.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Youtube. Here's your first lesson:

[video=youtube;zt6jnSO262Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt6jnSO262Q[/video]

Last edited:

tuffenuff2

Maybe I should have been more specific--- It was advertised on the side of one of those trailers that bands or motorcycle people use to carry instruments or bikes or 4 wheelers. It was parked at the junction of route 234 and route 5 in Leonardtown. Black cargo trailer. It appeared quite professional.

PsyOps

Pixelated
There's starting at the deep end and then there is...the Tommy end.

What can I say... I am a far side kind of guy. From the day I picked up a guitar I jumped in. I went for the hard stuff. I did the 'Smoke on the Water' bit then said "How boring. Where's the hard stuff?"

MarylandGeorge

Thanks everyone. I called the number you left me Radiant but he hasn't called in a week. I'm going to call the number on the side of the trailer. Thanks Tuff. And PsyOps, It took me a few days but i think I've got that video down. lol

edreedisgod20

I took them for a couple years in my teens (roughly 8-10 years ago) from a guy named Joe Palchak at Hot Licks in Waldorf. He was a great player, introduced me to music I wouldn't have listened to otherwise, and definitely helped me to become a better player. I checked their site and it looks like he's still teaching, if you are willing to go up to Waldorf then he can't be beat IMO.

I have to say this though, there is really no need to pay for lessons to learn to play the guitar. Everything you need can be found in books, online, YouTube, etc. It is not hard. YouTube in particular has IMO pretty much killed the need to go out and have lessons somewhere....and since you are posting here, you are forum savvy, which means any questions you have can be asked on the numerous high quality guitar related forums around the internet. Just a thought, anyway.

sparkyaclown

I have to say this though, there is really no need to pay for lessons to learn to play the guitar. Everything you need can be found in books, online, YouTube, etc. It is not hard. YouTube in particular has IMO pretty much killed the need to go out and have lessons somewhere....and since you are posting here, you are forum savvy, which means any questions you have can be asked on the numerous high quality guitar related forums around the internet. Just a thought, anyway.
While I somewhat agree with this statement, a website can't watch your technique. While I think you can learn from the web, I also believe it is easier to develop habits that may stall your progression in the process. At least taking them early on from an instructor may give you a solid basis to move forward on your own.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Thanks everyone. I called the number you left me Radiant but he hasn't called in a week. I'm going to call the number on the side of the trailer. Thanks Tuff. And PsyOps, It took me a few days but i think I've got that video down. lol

Awesome! Lesson #2

[video=youtube;9hpgT-Tw_DQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hpgT-Tw_DQ[/video]

Larry Gude

Strung Out
While I somewhat agree with this statement, a website can't watch your technique. While I think you can learn from the web, I also believe it is easier to develop habits that may stall your progression in the process. At least taking them early on from an instructor may give you a solid basis to move forward on your own.

I agree with this. I don't recall the terms but, maybe one of you folks will. Most people who just wanna play a little and get started and see if they like it start off just playing and use their stronger fingers to form chords because it is faster and easier; meaning a G or a D or whatever, in 'lowest' position, the non 'barre' form, is formed using the index, middle and ring fingers. The proper technique is to use the middle, ring and little finger on those basic cords and then the index finger, is always ready to 'barre' as you move the other three up the fret board. If you start off making the basic G and D and E and A cords using the little, ring and middle fingers, it is harder at first but, you will get much better much faster.

PsyOps

Pixelated
I agree with this. I don't recall the terms but, maybe one of you folks will. Most people who just wanna play a little and get started and see if they like it start off just playing and use their stronger fingers to form chords because it is faster and easier; meaning a G or a D or whatever, in 'lowest' position, the non 'barre' form, is formed using the index, middle and ring fingers. The proper technique is to use the middle, ring and little finger on those basic cords and then the index finger, is always ready to 'barre' as you move the other three up the fret board. If you start off making the basic G and D and E and A cords using the little, ring and middle fingers, it is harder at first but, you will get much better much faster.

One of the best things you can do is change things up. Stop doing the usual. Don’t keep doing what’s comfortable. Folks resist using their pinky because it's so weak. Use it... a lot! Of course this is premised on whether you’re interested in being good. If you’re just learning so you can accompany a sing-along or strum some popular songs out then this won’t be so important; and getting a guitar teacher really isn’t necessary for that kind of playing.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
One of the best things you can do is change things up. Stop doing the usual. Don’t keep doing what’s comfortable. Folks resist using their pinky because it's so weak. Use it... a lot! Of course this is premised on whether you’re interested in being good. If you’re just learning so you can accompany a sing-along or strum some popular songs out then this won’t be so important; and getting a guitar teacher really isn’t necessary for that kind of playing.

That's :bs: WTF are you talking about?????

:roflmao: