Water Bottle Trouble

keekee

Yesterday we picked up our two new baby guinea pigs.
The cage that we bought came with a water bottle, but it seemed flimsy so I picked up a new one when we picked up our piggies.
I asked for a recommendation as to the best bottle - and bought that one.

Last night we fought with both bottles for a long time trying to get either of them to hold water.
We tried different tightnesses on the lid, and I looked online for suggestions and it said to tap the ball 3 times after you hang it - tried that too.
Tried different tilt angles... arghh! No luck!
After much fighting and frustration, we finally got one of the bottles (the newer one) to stop dripping.
All seemed good, and we went to bed.

This morning we got up to find that the entire bottle had emptied out over night into the cage. :ohwell:
So we did a quick cage cleaning this morning, and we removed the bottle.
We temporarily put a crock of water in the cage until we can figure this out.

I'm assuming that we are doing something wrong - since both bottles failed.
...or if there is some great bottle out there that doesn't leak - I'd pay any price for it !

Thanks for any suggestions...

Also, on a side note - we have well water. It's not stinky or minerally - we drink it.
Is it ok for our piggies, or should I use bottled water?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Yesterday we picked up our two new baby guinea pigs.
The cage that we bought came with a water bottle, but it seemed flimsy so I picked up a new one when we picked up our piggies.
I asked for a recommendation as to the best bottle - and bought that one.

Last night we fought with both bottles for a long time trying to get either of them to hold water.
We tried different tightnesses on the lid, and I looked online for suggestions and it said to tap the ball 3 times after you hang it - tried that too.
Tried different tilt angles... arghh! No luck!
After much fighting and frustration, we finally got one of the bottles (the newer one) to stop dripping.
All seemed good, and we went to bed.

This morning we got up to find that the entire bottle had emptied out over night into the cage. :ohwell:
So we did a quick cage cleaning this morning, and we removed the bottle.
We temporarily put a crock of water in the cage until we can figure this out.

I'm assuming that we are doing something wrong - since both bottles failed.
...or if there is some great bottle out there that doesn't leak - I'd pay any price for it !

Thanks for any suggestions...

Also, on a side note - we have well water. It's not stinky or minerally - we drink it.
Is it ok for our piggies, or should I use bottled water?

Guinea Pigs are VERY high maintenance and should only drink Perrier out of fine crystal decanters.

I would take the bottle back and get another, or a different one. It shouldn't leak.

Last edited:

keekee

Guinea Pigs are VERY high maintenance and should only drink Perrier out of fine crystal decanters.

I would take the bottle back and get another, or a different one. It shouldn't leak.

That's funny ! But you actually might be right...
I did a lot of reading before getting them, and they have very specific dietary needs, and very sensitive systems.
And babies have even more dietary requirements.
I have read that they should be given bottled spring water, and not tap water.
That's why I asked, because I wondered if other piggy owners actually follow that guideline. I guess I will, just in case.
Pretty high maintenance for rodents! But they sure are cute. :huggy:

I've been doing more reading and found out that you should use room-temp water in any bottle to prevent leaking.
...maybe that was our problem.
I also ordered some "lixit" water bottle kits that you can use on empty 'recycled' bottles. They are supposed to be good. We'll see.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
That's funny ! But you actually might be right...
I did a lot of reading before getting them, and they have very specific dietary needs, and very sensitive systems.
And babies have even more dietary requirements.
I have read that they should be given bottled spring water, and not tap water.
That's why I asked, because I wondered if other piggy owners actually follow that guideline. I guess I will, just in case.
Pretty high maintenance for rodents! But they sure are cute. :huggy:

I've been doing more reading and found out that you should use room-temp water in any bottle to prevent leaking.
...maybe that was our problem.
I also ordered some "lixit" water bottle kits that you can use on empty 'recycled' bottles. They are supposed to be good. We'll see.

When I had Guineas a LONG time ago, I was told no tap water if you are on city water.. The chlorine and other chemicals don't do well with them.. You'll be ok with Well Water..

Roman

How is the water bottle issue KeeKee? Sometimes, the rubber gasket is dry rot, if that's the term. You can replace that easily. I use to raise guinea pigs for pet stores, and I just love them. Rarely do they bite, which is more than you can say about hamsters. Keep in mind that if they're immature males, and they are housed together, they will become aggressive toward each other when they mature. If that happens, you might have to separate them.

keekee

How is the water bottle issue KeeKee? Sometimes, the rubber gasket is dry rot, if that's the term. You can replace that easily. I use to raise guinea pigs for pet stores, and I just love them. Rarely do they bite, which is more than you can say about hamsters. Keep in mind that if they're immature males, and they are housed together, they will become aggressive toward each other when they mature. If that happens, you might have to separate them.

I did try the room-temp water test last night and the bottle didn't seem to leak.
But I didn't put it back in the cage for several reasons:
The sides of the cage are a bit high, maybe about 7 inches, and I'm afraid that they can't reach it since they are pretty small.
I never saw them try to drink from the bottle (it was only in there for one day), but they always have their faces in the crock of water.
...and I'm worried the bottle will empty out in there again at night - their fleece was soaked - not good!
So I'm sticking with the crock until my Lixit bottle kits come in - then I'll try again.
I think I'll still keep the crock in there as well as the bottles until they get a little bigger and I see them drinking from the bottle.

We got two girls. They are so funny!
We got a very pretty blonde & white one (Marigold), who is very dainty & shy and hides most of the time, so far.
And we got a tiny gray & white one (Roscoe) with the crested fur on the head - it looks like she has big bushy white eyebrows and a skinny little rear end. haha!
Roscoe is much braver. She comes out much more, plays with everything in the cage, and eats like a horse.

They are so fun to watch, I find myself by their cage watching them instead of doing things I'm supposed to be doing!

Roman, what is your take on the well water question - is it ok, or should I buy bottled?

Roman

Like itsbob said, well water is fine. I used that on my breeders, and one of my pigs lived 9 years. Go easy on the vegetables or you'll be cleaning the cage more, and some pigs get diarrhea from too much.