The Sopranos

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Any fans out there? We just started re-watching this show from the first season. It first aired 15 years ago. Pre 9/11. Funny seeing the old computer monitors, AOL welcome screens, vintage cell phones and pay phones booths.

Freefaller

Any fans out there? We just started re-watching this show from the first season. It first aired 15 years ago. Pre 9/11. Funny seeing the old computer monitors, AOL welcome screens, vintage cell phones and pay phones booths.

Better come heavy or don't come at all

Loved that show

Freefaller

Its amazing how many of the actors and actresses show up in othe gangstermovies / tv shows. "Christopher" in the Sopranos was "Spider" in Goodfellas where he was shot (twice) and finally killed by Joe Pesci's character![/I]

I started watching this for the first time a couple weeks ago. I am now on Season 3...

I have a disturbing and extreme attraction to Italian Mafia men. :ohwell:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Its amazing how many of the actors and actresses show up in othe gangstermovies / tv shows. "Christopher" in the Sopranos was "Spider" in Goodfellas where he was shot (twice) and finally killed by Joe Pesci's character![/I]

What is hilarious is how, over time, the mafia is said to take a lot of it's style and even behavior cues from Hollywood.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I have a disturbing and extreme attraction to Italian Mafia men. :ohwell:

Yeah, that Silvio is some kinda man... :twitch:

I think all of those characters are a great lesson on how not to live your life. One of the episodes we watched last night, Janice put holes in Richie. I had Monello rewind so I could see it again.

Yeah, that Silvio is some kinda man... :twitch:

I think all of those characters are a great lesson on how not to live your life. One of the episodes we watched last night, Janice put holes in Richie. I had Monello rewind so I could see it again.

Not all of them are attractive... :ohwell:

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
I loved, loved, loved The Sopranos. I have every single season on DVD. I may watch it all again this coming weekend, right after I finish up the prior seasons of Homeland. :lightbulb:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Why do we love criminals and crime?

The Soprano's, all the mob stuff, it's about violence, threat of violence, deceit, cheating, lying, betrayal, addiction, abuse, murder, extortion, corruption. There are no thugs with a heart of gold. No redeeming themes or happy endings. It seems perfectly plausible that this is going on, for real, pretty much just like the show, right now, all over the nation.

I have LONG been attracted to music that is pretty heavy; thundering drums, screaming guitars, brutal lyrics, not a whole lot of happy endings or sunny, easy going so, I get the attraction to the themes. Is it the same thing?

My ex GF loved the SVU shows, the rape, the child abuse, the murder, very, very dark stuff. My music doesn't bother me in the slightest. In fact, like going to the gym, after 30 minutes of aural assault, I feel GREAT, relieved, sorta like a giant mental ####. However, the shows, and maybe it is the visual, Soprano's, SVU, all that stuff, leaves me feeling awful.

:popcorn:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Not all of them are attractive... :ohwell:

How are ANY of them attractive? I want to like Carmella but, that she can shut off that her husband beats people, kills people, lies, steals, corrupts people, for her home, her kids, her food, man, I WANT to like her but have always just recoiled. So, from a guys view, she's NOT attractive, at all, and otherwise would be. So, ladies, what is it about the guys? They are are stunningly dark people. Base. Is it as simple as that, that they do unto others first?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I don't know. I guess I am a horrible person. :coffee:

Well, no. That wasn't my intent. That's why I included my interest in music that is nothing short of shear brutality. I think I am a good person and I know it is music, art and not something that is going to make me rape, rob, pillage and commit atrocities. But, I feel good after listening.

So, I have ZERO problem with anyone enjoying the mob stuff. I watch. It's just that it doesn't make me feel good. So, I am more curious if folks get the same enjoyment out of it as I do music. Or what have you.

Well, no. That wasn't my intent. That's why I included my interest in music that is nothing short of shear brutality. I think I am a good person and I know it is music, art and not something that is going to make me rape, rob, pillage and commit atrocities. But, I feel good after listening.

So, I have ZERO problem with anyone enjoying the mob stuff. I watch. It's just that it doesn't make me feel good. So, I am more curious if folks get the same enjoyment out of it as I do music. Or what have you.

I don't know :ohwell: ... I guess maybe it is just an escape from reality for me? :confused:

Midnightrider

When you are done with that one, try the wire. The first season is all payphones and pagers. :killingme

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I don't know :ohwell: ... I guess maybe it is just an escape from reality for me? :confused:

That's fine. I am genuinely curious, not judging.

Do you become absorbed by the characters and root some on and take sides against others? Or is it just the general thing that is compelling? I'm genuinely curios. I could go on all day what I find compelling and satisfying and enriching about any given metal song I really dig.

Pete

Repete

Started watching it half way through its run. I would love to go back and watch again from the beginning

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I don't care for shows where I'm even sort of rooting for bad guys, which is why I'm conflicted about The Americans. The Sopranos, I'm not rooting for any of them so it's okay to enjoy the seediness of it all. I wanted to like Carmella but I hate her. I also wanted to like the shrink, but she's a freaking nut. I'm basically waiting for when they all get killed - I was sort of sorry to see Big Pussy get killed but wished Richie's passing had been more drawn out and painful. I want to see Christopher killed, and I really really want to see Tony get killed but I know it doesn't happen on screen. I was hoping that that horrible Livia would die in a prolonged fire, but I know that's not how it happens, darn it.

I'm interested in the human nature aspect of it all, but basically I'm just waiting to see all these awful people die.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I don't care for shows where I'm even sort of rooting for bad guys, which is why I'm conflicted about The Americans. The Sopranos, I'm not rooting for any of them so it's okay to enjoy the seediness of it all. I wanted to like Carmella but I hate her. I also wanted to like the shrink, but she's a freaking nut. I'm basically waiting for when they all get killed - I was sort of sorry to see Big Pussy get killed but wished Richie's passing had been more drawn out and painful. I want to see Christopher killed, and I really really want to see Tony get killed but I know it doesn't happen on screen. I was hoping that that horrible Livia would die in a prolonged fire, but I know that's not how it happens, darn it.

I'm interested in the human nature aspect of it all, but basically I'm just waiting to see all these awful people die.

Classic!!!!! :lol: