Correct way to use a Median...

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
I will admit that I am guilty of using it incorrectly but will correct the err of my ways...:lol:

DQ2B

Every time I use/try to use it correctly I get the most bewildered looks from the other driver...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I do it right. I make other people do it right. They catch on. The key is in not hesitating. You hesitate, they hesitate. Then, all is lost. When you know WTF you are doing and they're not sure, take charge. Immediately.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Although...... if you do it correctly, you are now preventing the left turning traffic from entering the median. Hmmmmm.....

Larry Gude

Strung Out
That's the way I was taught. I've seen some people get almost violent when I do this correctly.

Happened to me a few weeks ago. I rolled down the window and said "That's why you gotta read SOMD forums, you stupid mother####ing non driving #######! Come on, mom! How many ####ing times we gotta go over this????"

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Although...... if you do it correctly, you are now preventing the left turning traffic from entering the median. Hmmmmm.....

Would you rather be crossing paths with people going a few MPH or pulling out into 50 mph traffic and praying? I'm not trying to turn this into a religion thing but, you see my point, you pagan scum? :lol:

Midnightrider

They just have to go past you to get to their spot in the median. There is usually only room for two cars (one gong each way) to be in the median at a time.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I have 2 pet peeves driving around PF. This is my biggest peeve. I am talking specifically about the median turn on Route 4 - between Dares Beach Road and the Rozran Medical Clinic where (if you are going south) you want to turn left onto Main Street and the oncoming northbound traffic on Route 4 is going to make a U-turn to go back towards the Clinic, the florist, Walmart, etc. Everyone does it wrong! It's a huge clustermuck all the time.

My 2nd peeve are the folks who want to cut in when you leave an opening at a shopping center for traffic to cross over into the far left lane (so they can turn left). This is a huge PITA at the Safeway light. When you are stopped at the light when it's backed up and you leave an opening (which you are legally supposed to do) people wishing to exit the shopping center just barrel their way into the lane. Sometimes they don't even wait for the driver to let them in - they just race to get out of the parking lot and zoom right in front of you. Or they edge their car into the lane every time a car passes them, as though they should be next. My son's driver ed instructor told him HE DID IT RIGHT, by leaving the opening - and praised him for just allowing the buttinskys to get in front of him rather than have road rage or try to aggressively edge them out. (I taught him to allow them in, even though the other drivers were technically at fault, just because it's not worth the accident) The instructor agreed and told him they DID NOT have the right of way. He explained that according to the law, the opening you leave is for folks who wish to be in the far left lane to be able to get there. It's not a "first come first serve" or "take turns" option. They are supposed to wait until all the cars have passed until they proceed into the lane. (if you choose to let them in, that's different, but it's not a right of way kind of thing for the other vehicle).

In the grand scheme of things, it's not going to hurt me to let one person in, but if you have been at a standstill in traffic, everyone "taking turns" really slows down the progress and it is difficult to make it through the light.

People do what they want to do on the road anymore, they don't care what they rules are.

GW8345

Not White House Approved
At the risk of getting flamed;

Please show me where that rule is stated in the Maryland Drivers Handbook.

Just because some website says it's so doesn't mean it's correct or even legal, even though it makes sense doesn't mean it's legal.

blacklabman

You must be a freaking lawyer. It doesn't have to be in the handbook to be the proper thing to do.
At the risk of getting flamed;

Please show me where that rule is stated in the Maryland Drivers Handbook.

Just because some website says it's so doesn't mean it's correct or even legal, even though it makes sense doesn't mean it's legal.

GW8345

Not White House Approved
You must be a freaking lawyer. It doesn't have to be in the handbook to be the proper thing to do.

Um, yes it does, you can't just make up your own rules of the road, if it isn't sanctioned by the state highway authority it isn't legal.

And no, I'm not a lawyer, I just don't believe in "majority rules" over riding legal statutes.