Metrocast says 3Mbit isn't a problem when I pay for 75Mbit

Tech

My appears to "freeze" more often, like when you use to download a video years ago.

Warron

I have called metrocast and their predecessor and the predecessor to the previous company at least once a year for the last 15 years. And they always say that crap about charging you if its your equipment. I have never once been charged as it has aways been their fault. Its basically just the customer service rep reading the que cards they are told to read.

I get 75 Mbps during the day, during the night it is 3.5 Mbps. Methinks they need to increase capacity big time. Maybe I should tweet about it, or go to the county board....

Chris0nllyn

Is this over WiFi, or hardwired connection?

Do you have a coax amplifier anywhere up stream of the modem?

koan00

Well now that you know the problem isn't your system, you should have no worries calling them out again. And again, and again. Persistence is all that seems to work. Sometimes you will also get a different answer calling the local support line vs. the national one.

What model modem do you have and how many channels are bonded downstream?

Last edited:

koan00

Model is Motorola Surfboard SB6180, and I have 8 channels of QAM256 bonded. SNR looks good with the lowest channel >39dB.

It's nice to see some verification that someone is getting their full speed. Makes the argument that the issue is local rather than a problem with them overwhelming the connection to their upstream provider.
Maybe another avenue for exploration: our neighborhood has a facebook page we all use to communicate. We had a problem with just our street once, and just organizing everyone to call in seemed pretty effective. They rarely get 5-10 calls all for the same localized area.