Open House Today (1/13/15) - The King's Christian Academy

The King's Christian Academy in Callaway (St. Mary's County) will hold an Open House today between 4 - 6 p.m. This is a drop-in event for families who are interested in learning more the school. KCA offers a (full day)Pre-K through 12th grade curriculum and serves students from Calvert, Charles and St. Mary's County.

It's offerings include:
STEM/Robotics program
Fine Arts (musicals, dramas, band, strings, competitive/traveling Ensemble, art festivals)
Athletics (basketball, soccer, volleyball, track, cheerleading - more to come soon)
Before / Aftercare programs - with homework help
Free bus transportation
Summer Camp programs
Financial Assistance
Smaller class sizes
Safe, positive environment for students

You may have seen the construction happening near the front of the campus if you've driven past on Route 5 lately. Come learn more about the new athletic field we're constructing! This is a wonderful opportunity to tour the campus, meet the teachers, speak with current students, and review the textbooks/classroom materials. Light refreshments will be served. For more information about KCA, please visit their website at www.KingsChristianAcademy.org

Restless

My children attended KCA for two years. There were some very good teachers there, but there were a few who were just taking up space. One teacher in particular would just tell the kids to open their math books and start working. She didn't teach the material. The kids taught themselves. She spent the rest of the class on her computer. The school did remove this teacher from the classroom, and assigned her elsewhere, however, she taught for several years before that happened.

I think the school could have lots of potential, but the biggest problem there is that the students who have been there since kindergarten are not friendly to newer students. Very cliquey. I think that is partly why the school's enrollment has remained somewhat stagnant.

The campus is nice as are the facilities. The security is very good.

We decided homeschooling was a better option. From what we paid in tuition each year, we could have put towards college!

Just my two cents worth.

Hmm...I'm sorry you didn't have a good experience at KCA. We have quite a few new students this year and their transitions seem to be going smoothly. (The New Student Liaison checks on families at least once each quarter to ensure KCA is meeting their needs.) As far as the student body growing, there was another large enrollment this fall. In fact, KCA had such growth last year that the school built multiple new classrooms. (And, I believe they're getting ready to start an upper school expansion project.) I can understand your concern with cliques. It can be difficult to start a new school when many friendships have already been cemented. My own daughter began in the middle of the school year awhile back, but had a positive experience with her peers. Overall, I think that the kids are a nice bunch...lot of different backgrounds and religious upbringings make for good discussion in class. The teachers are very connected with the families, which is what you'd expect from a private school. This past fall, several new teachers came on board and brought some great new ideas to the classroom. I understand your concerns, but feel that the school improves its programs and academic offerings each year. Definitely worth looking into if you're seeking great academics as well a safe, positive environment for your child.