Trailer for Fifty Shades of Grey

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I must be the only person on the planet who didn't read that serious. (Or want to.)

Bay_Kat

Tropical
I must be the only person on the planet who didn't read that serious. (Or want to.)

Nope, I'm one too. Have no desire to read it or see the movie, the only reason I considered seeing the movie was when Charlie Hunnam was going to star in it, but that fell through so I lost interest.

Bann

PREMO Member
Nope, I'm one too. Have no desire to read it or see the movie, the only reason I considered seeing the movie was when Charlie Hunnam was going to star in it, but that fell through so I lost interest.

:yay:

Bay_Kat

Tropical
All the reviews I'm seeing say it's not good. Even regular people that see it are calling it awkward and say the acting is bad. If you see it, please post here. I know my sister will tell me it was good because she loved the books so much.

Hannibal

In hearing the reviews this morning (I guess it was fully released yesterday?), the comments have been more complimentary. Seems ot be getting the ladies all horned up so the discussion on the radio was how it might, in fact, be benificial for the men to take their ladies to see this movie. I am intriqued especially if it leads to interesting "possibilities" later in the evening. At the end of the day, isn't that the point after all?

Bann

PREMO Member
Why is this series attractive to women? From the little I know about it, the male character seems to be demeaning to women.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifty_Shades_of_Grey
Fifty Shades of Grey is a 2011 erotic romance novel by British author E. L. James. It is the first installment in the Fifty Shades trilogy that traces the deepening relationship between a college graduate, Anastasia Steele, and a young business magnate, Christian Grey. It is notable for its explicitly erotic scenes featuring elements of sexual practices involving bondage/discipline, dominance/submission, and sadism/masochism

Um, no thanks.

Bay_Kat

Tropical
In hearing the reviews this morning (I guess it was fully released yesterday?), the comments have been more complimentary. Seems ot be getting the ladies all horned up so the discussion on the radio was how it might, in fact, be benificial for the men to take their ladies to see this movie. I am intriqued especially if it leads to interesting "possibilities" later in the evening. At the end of the day, isn't that the point after all?

There was a news show this morning that talked about the movie a lot. There was a total of 19 minutes of sex scenes in the movie, which they say didn't do the book justice. Also, when the first book was released the number of bedroom related injury emergency room visits spiked. Wonder if they will spike again with the movie. I really have no desire to see the movie. Haven't read the books, but my sister talks about them like they are the best thing ever and she's not even a big reader. Curious to see what people here think if they see the movie.

Attachments

• fda14e03fa2305f47e1e4ff89ff4406b.jpg
    fda14e03fa2305f47e1e4ff89ff4406b.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 275

SoMDGirl42

I read the books. My opinion is this was an abused woman. I don't think anyone can convince me she enjoyed getting the hell beat out of her everyday. For some reason she fell in love with this man that had to take control of every sexual encounter they had to get his rocks off and she went along with it because that was the only way she was going to be with him. The books actually made me angry and I think more women will accept physical abuse because they think "it's sexy and acceptable" to let a man do that to them. I'm sure there are some women who do enjoy it, I'm not one of them.

PeoplesElbow

I read the books. My opinion is this was an abused woman. I don't think anyone can convince me she enjoyed getting the hell beat out of her everyday. For some reason she fell in love with this man that had to take control of every sexual encounter they had to get his rocks off and she went along with it because that was the only way she was going to be with him. The books actually made me angry and I think more women will accept physical abuse because they think "it's sexy and acceptable" to let a man do that to them. I'm sure there are some women who do enjoy it, I'm not one of them.

Billionaire .... now if he was a fry cook at McDonalds......

Bann

PREMO Member
So...

Some gals at work wanted to do a girl's night out to dinner and go see Fifty Shades of Grey. Hey! I'm a good sport and love to have a girls' night out so, I was game for it and went - fully expecting to be unimpressed by the movie. :bigwhoop:

I was totally impressed and I liked it very much.

First, let me just say: this ain't yo momma's Harlequin Romance! :lol:

In fact, it is not a romance at all. At least, not yet. I have NOT read any of the books - but I have talked to more than a few people who have. I know there are other parts of the story to come and while the movie leaves you hanging, it certainly does it's part to set that up. Even if you haven't read the books, I think the movie stands on it's own. If you pay close enough attention, you will see key clues into the psyche of both of the movie's main characters and you will realize there is more to come. (Has to be more to come!)

**I'm not going to post any spoilers, so you can feel free to read my review**

I haven't read any of this movie's reviews - I haven't read a lot of the hooplah over the "Christians' or Right Wings' " views vs. "Liberals' views". I can only comment on the "scuttlebutt" of those reviews and opinions and I have to say that if particular groups of people are upset over some of the "subject matter" in the movie (i.e., BDSM) then they are not being rational or fair to the story. In fact, one of my comments about "what I had heard" about the movie pertained to that very subject matter and it turns out it was unfounded - because the subject matter of BDSM is only an element of the storyline. It's not what the story is *about*. It has it's place in this story, and it is handled very well in the movie, but to say this movie is only about that element or that it is only about an abusive relationship is wrong.

As I said, this is not a romance. IMO, it's more like a psychological drama or thriller. It is a story about 2 people who meet and are insanely and intensely physically attracted to each other. Each one wants and at the same time doesn't want the other and they spend a great deal of the movie in a push/pull type of relationship. It's highly erotic and sensual in a lot of parts of the movie, and distressingly dysfunctional (IMO) in others. Again, those elements are integral to the plot. (You can't get *here* without going *there*, for example.) She's in over her head - but so is HE. Both of them are completely out of their comfort zones in their feelings for the other one. OH sure, there's plenty o' nudity (tons of Dakota Johnson's boobage for the guys), somewhat graphic sex scenes (depending on your views) and even a scene or 3 of the very tight butt of Janie Dornan for wimmens to get the vapors over. :hot: [insert sophomoric humor here]

However, I think the wild accusations about the subject matter (BDSM) are by people who have not seen the movie or read the books. This is a good relationship story! It's as good a relationship story as any other. Yes, there are elements in the story which are very dysfunctional and quite disconcerting, even. However, it is a great study of human nature and what makes people tick, and that is what really intrigued me about the movie.

I am really interested in seeing how the relationship develops and I am certain sure there will be more movies, as there are 3 books. I wasn't going to read the book(s), and right now I have several other books on my reading list to get to so I don't have the time. I still may at some point, though.

After my telling him about the movie's plot, Foxhound asked if I wanted to go see it again. So, we went together and watched it, also. He pretty much felt the same way about it as the review I just gave. Had it not been for the fact that I said I found the movie very interesting and actually liked it - he'd have never gone to see it.

Out of a possible 5 thumbs up:
Bann: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:
Foxhound: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:

Last edited: