13 yr old wants to play the drums

catlingirl

My daughter wants to learn to play the drums and I have no idea what to start her out with. I looked on the internet but there's so much stuff that I thought someone on here might know what to get. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

BOP

My daughter wants to learn to play the drums and I have no idea what to start her out with. I looked on the internet but there's so much stuff that I thought someone on here might know what to get. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

PM inbound

PeoplesElbow

Most students start out with a drum pad, which is much much quieter than a real drum so it will save on your nerves some.

Does she want to learn drumset? or just drums in general? School band is a great place to start but I think she is late joining? She can still learn.

Here is an excellent book,

http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title...iR8fdPaQD6Nmhheq8Yc8bqRRbPEtpZoUgWxoCmirw_wcB

Its the one that I used when I was preparing to tryout for all state band.

Drumset comes after having a good foundation from something like band. If you can find private lessons around here nothing can replace individual instruction by a good instructor, it may be hard here to find a good one though.

25 years ago I took lessons from the guy that plays drums for Edwin McCain now, he is one of the best drummers that I have ever met.

Almost forgot http://www.amazon.com/RealFeel-Evan...1421238756&sr=8-2&keywords=drum+pad+and+stand

http://www.amazon.com/Promark-Japan...=1421238787&sr=8-1&keywords=promark+2b+sticks

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out

I am assuming you live on SOMD. The below link I got off of craigslit. I do NOT know the poster. I use it as an example of what to look for; a basic kit, bass (kick) drum, a snare, a throne (what you sit on) a hi hat (the cymbal that has a foot pedal to it) a floor tom-tom and another one or two smaller toms plus all hardware.

If it were me, I'd call this specific one as their add looks pretty good and they seem like the care and know as opposed to some poor mom who is trying to get juniors junk out of her house and has no idea what is missing.

Again, I do NOT know the person. if you call them, make sure YOU judge them to be someone YOU would trust enough to do a deal with. Arrange a meeting that they will have the kit set up and that they will PLAY for you for a few minutes showing good working order. You want heads, the skin that you actually hit with the drum sticks, and cymbals to be in decent shape. No holes or cracks or tears. Used is fine. Abused is not.

You should be able to find a perfectly decent 3-5 piece set for $300. When we say "3 piece" it is a set that has three drums; a kick, a floor tom, a snare. At least a hi hat and one crash cymbal is all she needs. The one in the add is a 5 piece and, if the add is honest, a great deal at $300.

if your daughter gets sick of it after a month or a year or even two or even 5, unless she abuses it, you'll still be able to get $2-300 for it.

http://smd.craigslist.org/msg/4815302763.html

PeoplesElbow

Oh I wouldn't buy her a cheap drumset, they are pretty much junk. If she wants a set find a nice used one, it will be cheaper and far far better.

My first drumset cost $100, got it I think when I was about 13 about 1987, then when I was a junior in high school I got a really nice Yamaha Pro Tour, it was about $2500 when all was said and done.

Goldenhawk

There's a decent drum set at the pawn shop in St Mary's Square for $250. Might need one new drum head but otherwise it looked like it was in good shape.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Mud-buckets and sticks, see if the kid is really into it before spending on a set. :yay:

DogWhisperer

We have a Pearl drum set for sale. It's a good drum set that we picked up in Betheseda I think. I can send the details. The set originally cost $1500 and includes more than you need but you can look at it and make an offer. It's been posted on here before. We were asking 1/2 of what we paid. It's beautiful and like new.

MarylandGeorge

I'd start her off with a practice pad and a set of drum sticks. Also send her to a few private lessons to see if she is really interested in drums or if it's just a passing thing. If she sticks with a get her a drum set and sit back and enjoy. Don't by earplugs. In a few years when she's gone you'll be wishing you could still hear the music.

Also, she can get a lot of instruction from youtube.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Start her off by taking music classes and learning how to read music.. HUGE difference in playing the drums, and being able to read a composition and playing what's on the paper.

Can be done at the same time as lessons..

You can become a good drummer parroting sounds, and songs, but if they don't know a paradiddle from a flam.. they probably will never be great!

Last edited: