14 Jan 15 looks like sleet to me

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Debated about going into work. I leave home at 0340 and drive up to NoVA. Decided not to go. Good thing because I would have had to turn around as soon as I got to work because schools are closed and it finally started snowing here in Lusby. Oldest son was happy when I went in to turn off his alarm. Husband probably won't be going in today either. Family day at home!!

Hannibal

Where are the problem areas? Left Waldorf at around 515AM and there was a very light dusting on things. Back roads had a small trace of snow on them but it wasn't slick at all. Easy driving. Main roads (Mattawoman and onto 301) were just wet. Temps held around 23-25 all the way up 95 into Laurel and traffic was moving just fine. I was shocked to see Charles County closed school. I questioned why as the forecast didn't change. What gives? Are other areas seeing something a bit more harsh?

TPD

the poor dad
Where are the problem areas? Left Waldorf at around 515AM and there was a very light dusting on things. Back roads had a small trace of snow on them but it wasn't slick at all. Easy driving. Main roads (Mattawoman and onto 301) were just wet. Temps held around 23-25 all the way up 95 into Laurel and traffic was moving just fine. I was shocked to see Charles County closed school. I questioned why as the forecast didn't change. What gives? Are other areas seeing something a bit more harsh?

Looking at traffic cams in St Mary's this morning, all main roads look good. Another over reaction IMO

edreedisgod20

Roads were bad at 5:45-6:00. Main roads in Wildwood had pretty much not been touched so I can only imagine what the back roads there and elsewhere looked like. 235S from 4 down to base was a mess and the base itself was a disaster at that time. I could see why they closed, but a couple hour delay probably would have worked just as well since things look pretty okay now.

Roads were bad at 5:45-6:00. Main roads in Wildwood had pretty much not been touched so I can only imagine what the back roads there and elsewhere looked like. 235S from 4 down to base was a mess and the base itself was a disaster at that time. I could see why they closed, but a couple hour delay probably would have worked just as well since things look pretty okay now.
I'm thinking it was closure rather than delay because of the regular bouts of icing expected on and off throughout the day. This wasn't an event that was overwith this morning.

MrZ06

I love Texas Road House
People are idiots around here and are scared to death of the tiniest amount of snow. There is no reason schools should have been closed today. I drove my z06 into work this morning. If a corvette can make it down the road there is no valid reason to think a school bus can;t drive on the same roads.

luvmygdaughters

People are idiots around here and are scared to death of the tiniest amount of snow. There is no reason schools should have been closed today. I drove my z06 into work this morning. If a corvette can make it down the road there is no valid reason to think a school bus can;t drive on the same roads.

You're the only one in your vet, might be a little more difficult with a heavy bus, loaded with kids, whose parents would sue if the bus slid off the road and one of the kids got hurt.

Hannibal

I am not sure whose judgement I question more. I am well versed at driving a Z06 and didn't even like taking it out with rain in the forecast. As for snow, it can be done obviously ....... but why???????

ginwoman

I would not want to be responsible for making the decision to close schools because you would be damned if ya do, damned if ya don't.