MCS reopening as Independent Catholic School

TPD

the poor dad
To be fair, I am starting this thread with a new title.

I am glad to see that Mother Catherine Spalding will be giving their community a chance to educate their children in a Catholic faith environment. I wish them success with the new endeavor!

http://www.thebaynet.com/articles/0...n-to-independent-private-catholic-school.html

Helen, MD — Mother Catherine Spalding School will open its doors July 1, 2015 for the 2015/2016 school year with a new name, likely to be Mother Catherine Spalding Academy. Through consultation with the Archdiocese of Washington and with new direction, the community is establishing a nonprofit independent school under their own management, and will have authority over all financial and operational responsibilities. The new independent school will operate in the building that has been home to the Archdiocesan Catholic school for fifty years.

According to a Jan. 16 letter from Cardinal Wuerl, Archbishop of Washington, the
Archdiocese will not be financially or operationally involved in the new school, although the letter noted that the Cardinal has directed the Catholic Schools Office and other archdiocesan offices to begin work on the terms of the lease of the existing building to "show the Archdiocese's support for such a new, independent school proposed to be founded and operated by parents."

Bavarian

I hope this isn't the Cardinal's way to close the school. Wonder what rent will be charged. He did this kind of thing when Bishop of Harrisburg.
Pray for the teachers, students, and parents.

Will they have an account to donate funds to?

ciwmj

To be fair, I am starting this thread with a new title.

I am glad to see that Mother Catherine Spalding will be giving their community a chance to educate their children in a Catholic faith environment. I wish them success with the new endeavor!

http://www.thebaynet.com/articles/0...n-to-independent-private-catholic-school.html

I wish them well also, I have a Greatgrandson who attends the school and it has been a struggle this year ,not knowing what will come to pass. The Archdiocese needs to step back and remember that St. Mary's County is the seat of the Catholic Faith in this country. The First Mass in this counrty was held at St. Clements Island. The Church needs to support the seat of the Faith in this country and the Catholic School system. Instead of dumping the funds into the high profile D.C. Schools that garner the attention of the press.

MCSMom

Good morning!!! I am a current parent at MCS and have been there for 10 years. Thank you for your wishes of success and, most of all, thank you for your continued prayers. We had a parent meeting last night to present the idea of an independent Catholic school and it was so well-received it surprised us a bit! I saw where someone had asked where donations could be sent. We are currently applying for 501(c)(3) status and have not yet set up a bank account for our new nonprofit corporation. I would ask that you hang on to any donations you would like to send at this point until we can get all that set up in our new entity's name. Please contact me directly via email (baaboo@verizon.net) if you have any further questions and I will try to help! I thank you all for your prayers and ask you to continue to keep us in your prayers daily! We have a long road ahead of us, but I think we can all see the amazing possibilities this could bring.

TPD

the poor dad
Good morning!!! I am a current parent at MCS and have been there for 10 years. Thank you for your wishes of success and, most of all, thank you for your continued prayers. We had a parent meeting last night to present the idea of an independent Catholic school and it was so well-received it surprised us a bit! I saw where someone had asked where donations could be sent. We are currently applying for 501(c)(3) status and have not yet set up a bank account for our new nonprofit corporation. I would ask that you hang on to any donations you would like to send at this point until we can get all that set up in our new entity's name. Please contact me directly via email (baaboo@verizon.net) if you have any further questions and I will try to help! I thank you all for your prayers and ask you to continue to keep us in your prayers daily! We have a long road ahead of us, but I think we can all see the amazing possibilities this could bring.

As a parent of a kid who went to St. Michael's school for the last 10 years, I know what you are going through. It is ashame that your school could not join us in our Cash Bash event. I am hoping you are successful with your new endeavor, which I'm sure you will be without certain people holding you back. My prayers are with all of you - it is an exciting time!

For those that didn't see this, here is the article concerning last night's meeting - http://www.thebaynet.com/articles/0115/local-school-declares-its-independence.html

b23hqb

PREMO Member
I hope this isn't the Cardinal's way to close the school. Wonder what rent will be charged. He did this kind of thing when Bishop of Harrisburg.
Pray for the teachers, students, and parents.

Will they have an account to donate funds to?

By "independent", is that merely denoting that the school is on their own financially? Does the rcc approve of such, as long as they toe the church dogma?

Just curious, because similar stuff happens with Protestant "independent" as well.