Calvert County Sheriff's Office loss......

GregV814

Lt. Bill Soper died last night. Complications from recent surgery caused his passing. If you didn't know him, he was a great man, father and husband. We lost a good one.

FollowTheMoney

Not to be insensitive at someone's loss .... A little background would be nice. Age, necessity of operation, past health issues, cause of death, retired or not, etc. How are we to relate, other then he being a fellow being without the back story.

RPMDAD

Have known Bill for 16 - 17 years personally and through work. R.I.P. Bill. Thoughts and Prayers to his family in this trying time.

Last edited:

mamatutu

mama to two

GregV814

hey ahhh Follow.....care to define the cause of death for any of your loved ones???? their bad habits??? their age/personal habits???? details please??? The fact is SIR, Bill was a great man. He was an excellent Police Official, a dedicated father and husband, a well liked Boy Scout Leader and anybody's idea of a good man. It really does not matter the cause of his death does it?

FollowTheMoney

hey ahhh Follow.....care to define the cause of death for any of your loved ones???? their bad habits??? their age/personal habits???? details please??? The fact is SIR, Bill was a great man. He was an excellent Police Official, a dedicated father and husband, a well liked Boy Scout Leader and anybody's idea of a good man. It really does not matter the cause of his death does it?
Hey Ahhhh Greg,... I don't go posting the notice of any of my friends or family members death here or anywhere else. I'm sure he was a good man. And all the other things you listed. My sympathies to his family and friends. So why can't I ask? If I was say, at the Frying Pan, getting breakfast, and struck up a conversation, and a fellow I was speaking with said, "Oh, did you hear that Bill died the other day?" I would be inclined to ask, "No I didn't. How did he die? Was he having problems? What happened during the operation?" etc. through the course of that conversation. That wouldn't be considered disrespectful in any way. Yet here I get scolded?

I could be an ass and posit that it was posted solely because he was a deputy. Eliciting more sympathies for "law enforcement". That there are many "great" men that die here in Southern Maryland everyday that we don't hear about that might be more deserving of our condolences. Maybe the man that bled while an infantry soldier for our country overseas and and returned from combat to live a simple quiet life supporting his church, working as a bricklayer, helping out at the food pantry, giving his testimony at AA meetings helping others to overcome their demons. The man strangers would thank for his help renovating their home during Christmas in April. The man that freely gave of himself without asking for anything or recognition in return. The man people knew they could turn to in time of need and be helped without judgement.

If you are going to post that an individual died because of complications from surgery, I want to know what happened. Simple curiosity. Else don't post partial information and just stick to a death notice. This is an open forum where all topics are discussed. I also do not give weight to someone's death solely because of where they were employed.

How about there be an official forum obituary category (Posting only) created to bypass all this BS?

You may now condemn me in all your outraged, hostile, spiteful, vengeful, resentful, wrathful, raging, righteous,... fury and indignation. Or, to try and understand from where I am coming.

Roman

The fact that he was a relatively young man, a public official, and a good person should be enough. The details of his death need not be known. Rest in peace Lt. Soper.

teddy6692

JMO...but I have always found it very rude and insensitive to the loved ones of the deceased when people ask how they died...for example my father died at a young age and about a year and a half after his death I ran into an old neighbor of ours and she very blatantly asked me how my father died...it was a tragic & painful thing for me to have to revisit while explaining to her...my point is just that sometimes no matter have interesting it may be to an outsider it's not always a nice thing to ask about anyone's death. You have to think about it from the perspective of the family and friends that are left behind to deal with the death, it's sad and difficult no matter how someone died. Just a death notice should be enough for sympathy & privacy is all I am trying to say. Rest in Peach Lt. Soper, you & your family will be in my prayers.

PeoplesElbow

JMO...but I have always found it very rude and insensitive to the loved ones of the deceased when people ask how they died...for example my father died at a young age and about a year and a half after his death I ran into an old neighbor of ours and she very blatantly asked me how my father died...it was a tragic & painful thing for me to have to revisit while explaining to her...my point is just that sometimes no matter have interesting it may be to an outsider it's not always a nice thing to ask about anyone's death. You have to think about it from the perspective of the family and friends that are left behind to deal with the death, it's sad and difficult no matter how someone died. Just a death notice should be enough for sympathy & privacy is all I am trying to say. Rest in Peach Lt. Soper, you & your family will be in my prayers.

People generally ask because they care. Unless they died in a way that was embarrassing I don't see what the big deal is. Everyone has lost someone in this world.