Auto insurance premium rising due to comprehensive claim

Claff

20+ year State Farm customer

Got something in the mail last week saying that the premium on our policy is going up because of an October 2013 comprehensive claim (windshield replacement).

Just curious if we're the only lucky ones this has happened to, or if it's happened to others, and if those others are just State Farm customers or if it's happening to people who deal with other insurance companies.

RetiredCPO

Nationwide did the same thing to us after being with them for over 15 years, used some lame excuse to raise our rates on more than one occasion and we never made a claim.

Was told by a former insurance rep that it's good to compare and change companies every 4-5 years to keep your rates down. With everything being computerized, the old standby of getting discounts for being with the same company for a long period of time are not so much a factor, your insurance and driving records are more readily available.

ReadingTheNews

We got the same thing from State Farm, only our wind shield claim was from Feb 2013. And we've been with them for over 25 years.
Bastards.

I guess, as the other poster pointed out, it's time to start shopping around.
:ohwell:

hitchicken

More of the same...

20+ years State Farm customer. No claims.

2012 - 7.33% increase in premium.
2013 - 7.56%
2014 - 4.54%
2015 - 1rst of 2 yearly premiums, already higher.

DEEKAYPEE8569

20+ year State Farm customer

Got something in the mail last week saying that the premium on our policy is going up because of an October 2013 comprehensive claim (windshield replacement).

Just curious if we're the only lucky ones this has happened to, or if it's happened to others, and if those others are just State Farm customers or if it's happening to people who deal with other insurance companies.

Well, this is good news. :sarcasm:
Just last year I switched back to S.F. after I don't know how many years; and this year I submitted a claim to get my car fixed after having a minor run-in or more precisely a run-into with someone at dusk, in foul weather, who didn't have lights on. I was told this was covered by collision coverage; so I'm guessing/betting that that will be the next excuse they'll have for raising rates: 'rising number of collision claims.'
They know you need car insurance to drive in MD, so they've gotcha by the.....well.....they've gotcha.

BigBlue

Been with Erie for 20+ years premium went up because the car was different(options)antenna in the windshield and more expensive plus we (the wife and I) got older,nothing strange about it .

KDENISE977

I have State Farm, hit a deer last year and had a $4k claim, and I just got an email that my premium is going DOWN :shrug:

Metrocrap

I had SF for over 30 years and the rates kept going up. I switched to Gieco about 6 months ago and their rates are a lot lower. You are paying 2 parties when you are insured with SF..... Headquarters and the Franchisee. With Gieco you are dealing directly with one party so there is only one hand reaching into your pockets, not 2 of them.

DEEKAYPEE8569

I had SF for over 30 years and the rates kept going up. I switched to Gieco about 6 months ago and their rates are a lot lower. You are paying 2 parties when you are insured with SF..... Headquarters and the Franchisee. With Gieco you are dealing directly with one party so there is only one hand reaching into your pockets, not 2 of them.

What about the coverage comparison? Solely based on that, which is better, Geico or S.F.?

Smith

I've been with State Farm 25+ years, both Home and Auto. It's hard for me to tell exactly how my rates have trended for the last few years because I've added & subtracted vehicles during that time, and increased my levels of coverage.

I currently have 4 vehicles insured, and last September I added my daughter as a new driver to my policy. After the initial increase for adding a teen driver, my rates have LOWERED every month since... almost to the level they were before I added her.
:shrug:

KDENISE977

I've been with State Farm 25+ years, both Home and Auto. It's hard for me to tell exactly how my rates have trended for the last few years because I've added & subtracted vehicles during that time, and increased my levels of coverage.

I currently have 4 vehicles insured, and last September I added my daughter as a new driver to my policy. After the initial increase for adding a teen driver, my rates have LOWERED every month since... almost to the level they were before I added her.
:shrug:

it might have something to do with the Homeowners coverage, I have them for the homeowners coverage too and mine is always been pretty consistent or has lowered

awpitt

Main Streeter
For all you State Farm customers... Do you know if you're with State Farm Mutual or State Farm Fire and Casualty?

lovinmaryland

Unfortunately it is now required under Maryland law that ALL insurance companies inform insureds of an increase in their premium if it is more than 1 cent. The verbage in the increase letters that are sent out is mandated by the state so it must be adhered too as well as list ANY losses on the policy whether they contributed to the increase or not.

Smith

Theirs two tiers of insurance mutual (higher tier) fire/casualty (standard tier)

No, they are company divisions within State Farm. One handles cars, the other houses. There are no tiers, just multiple amounts of coverage to choose from.

From the link I posted:
State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company is the largest auto insurer in the U.S. since 1942. About one of every five cars on the road is insured with State Farm. State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company is a mutual insurance company and as such does not have any shareholders. State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company is also the parent company of several wholly-owned subsidiaries that provide property and life insurance, banking products and mutual funds.

State Farm Fire and Casualty Company was formed in 1935 to provide property insurance for State Farm customers in the United States. The product lines written by State Farm Fire and Casualty Company include homeowners, boat owners and many commercial lines. The company has been the largest insurer of homes in the U.S. since 1964.

lovinmaryland

No, they are company divisions within State Farm. One handles cars, the other houses. There are no tiers, just multiple amounts of coverage to choose from.

From the link I posted:

I work for SF the two auto tiers are called mutual and fire. :yay:

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Shop around and go with an Independent Insurance Agent. They are brokers for many companies and often will be able to get you much lower rates than the "name brand" or big name companies. Having your homeowners & auto with the same company will also (sometimes) give you a discount.

I have USAA for both auto & homeowner's insurance. :yay:

lovinmaryland

I'm sure you do. Please explain the information on your company's website that states otherwise.

If you look at the top of your statement it will say either:

State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company

or

State Farm Fire and Casualty Company

You should definitely give your agency a call if you have questions regarding your bill or a letter you received. They can go over all your policies line by line and make sure youve got all your discounts etc... :yay: