Dang. That was a big fire.

catlingirl

I heard there were bombs involved. how else could steel beams collapse to the ground? I dont think a regular fire could do that. it is really sad though

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I heard that earlier, the way they've been showing it on local news for 2 days here, at first I thought it was somewhere in Florida, then saw it was in Annapolis.

It's been all over the news here. Whatever happened, it's sad.

Midnightrider

I heard there were bombs involved. how else could steel beams collapse to the ground? I dont think a regular fire could do that. it is really sad though

House fires get pretty hot, and considering the length of time it burned I think its pretty likely the collapse was 'normal'.

Tech

Fire will cause the beam to expand, soften and twist. If the expansion is great enough it may cause a collapse.

Bay_Kat

Tropical
Fire will cause the beam to expand, soften and twist. If the expansion is great enough it may cause a collapse.

From what I've heard on the news here, took two days to put out. That would definitely be hot enough to soften the beams.

Hijinx

From what I've heard on the news here, took two days to put out. That would definitely be hot enough to soften the beams.

If I had a house that large and expensive, I would have it hooked up to an alarm company such as ADT. Hooked up for fire and burglary.
At the least we should assume they had smoke detectors.

How did this fire get such a head start?
I would be looking to see if this man had enemies and start looking around for accelerents.
Pretty sure they already are.

Something isn't right here.

stgislander

PREMO Member
If I had a house that large and expensive, I would have it hooked up to an alarm company such as ADT. Hooked up for fire and burglary.

I would be looking to see if this man had enemies and start looking around for accelerents.

The news reports I heard said that the house was hooked-up to a security system. The monitoring center notified fire and rescue not much before the 911 calls started coming in.

Bay_Kat

Tropical

I agree something isn't right. That house should have been alarmed for everything and at the first sign of a fire it should have gone straight to the alarm company. People with that kind of money usually have every kind of alarm there is.

Hijinx

The news reports I heard said that the house was hooked-up to a security system. The monitoring center notified fire and rescue not much before the 911 calls started coming in.

Fire moves fast once it gets rolling, but the speed of this one seems suspicious to me.

mamatutu

mama to two

This story has really touched me. So sad. It is just so unthinkable. I don't get why they would leave a 15ft live Christmas tree in the house for over 2 months, especially leaving the lights on when going to bed. I cannot imagine the grief their children are going through. How do the children not blame their parents for being negligent, even though it was an innocent/overlooked/not thinking mistake? It is a situation that no one can fathom, much less get past. Christmas will be tragic for the rest of their lives. This is one of those heart breaking stories that puts another's life in perspective, and reminds us to count our blessings. To me, this is the ultimate grief. God bless the family. The ones that are gone, and the ones that have to endure this tragedy for the rest of their lives.

I have no problems in comparison to this story. I have cried for them and told myself that have I have no right to be sad about anything. I can't even relate to the enormousness of this loss.

Last edited:

Hijinx

This story has really touched me. So sad. It is just so unthinkable. I don't get why they would leave a 15ft live Christmas tree in the house for over 2 months, especially leaving the lights on when going to bed. I cannot imagine the grief their children are going through. How do the children not blame their parents for being negligent, even though it was an innocent/overlooked/not thinking mistake? It is a situation that no one can fathom, much less get past. Christmas will be tragic for the rest of their lives. This is one of those heart breaking stories that puts another's life in perspective, and reminds us to count our blessings. To me, this is the ultimate grief. God bless the family. The ones that are gone, and the ones that have to endure this tragedy for the rest of their lives.

I have no problems in comparison to this story. I have cried for them and told myself that have I have no right to be sad about anything. I can't even relate to the enormousness of this loss.

I stopped using live trees 30 years ago, just for this reason. In fact I used to buy a live rooted tree and then plant it outside after Chistmas, but I always put it up the day before Christmas and took it down the day after New years, but even that was too flammable for me. A live Christmas tree is like leaving a bucket of kerosene sitting in your living room.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMtjGfr0tYs