Bay_Kat

Tropical

Attachments

• crossbreeds-11.jpg
    crossbreeds-11.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 623

mamatutu

mama to two
Designer dogs are messing with nature. Yes, there are accidents, but the animals do that on their own. I would never buy from a puppy mill. I was, actually, surprised to see how many full breds are in the shelters. This is interesting. When I was in CAWL the other day, they had a full bred/trained border collie that was awesome; papers and all. He got adopted in no time. I was told he had to be given up because he kept trying to herd the children. :lol: I fell in love with him on sight. He wasn't meant to be my dog, but I will continue to look.

Last edited:
Mutts make the best pets. A rescued dog always knows its been rescued. Buying animals should be outlawed in our country until the millions of mutts put to death each year stops. Sorry- I never miss a chance to jump on that soap box.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
When I was in CAWL the other day, they had a full bred/trained border collie that was awesome; papers and all. He got adopted in no time. I was told he had to be given up because he kept trying to herd the children.

That has got to be THE dumbest reason to bring a dog to a shelter :doh: what did they think a collie would do when it doesn't have a "job"? :confused: clearly, that family didn't deserve that poor dog. Glad he got picked up quickly though! It will always continue to baffle me when people go after certain breeds without having done any research. Pits, Collies, GSD's...I get it all the time with Maggie too, a Shiba Inu. "OMG she's so beautiful! That's going to be my next dog!!" I have no problem being rude and saying no...please don't. Please research them, you'll find they're at the top of the charts for some of THE most difficult breeds. That's exactly why so many shibas end up in shelters like Maggie once was. I'm going for a mutt next time I have the option for another dog.

I'm quite positive at least 1-2 of these are slightly photoshop'ed.... however I don't doubt some of these mixings have happened :lol: and most are pretty adorable.

Bay_Kat

Tropical
That has got to be THE dumbest reason to bring a dog to a shelter :doh: what did they think a collie would do when it doesn't have a "job"? :confused: clearly, that family didn't deserve that poor dog. Glad he got picked up quickly though! It will always continue to baffle me when people go after certain breeds without having done any research. Pits, Collies, GSD's...I get it all the time with Maggie too, a Shiba Inu. "OMG she's so beautiful! That's going to be my next dog!!" I have no problem being rude and saying no...please don't. Please research them, you'll find they're at the top of the charts for some of THE most difficult breeds. That's exactly why so many shibas end up in shelters like Maggie once was. I'm going for a mutt next time I have the option for another dog.

I'm quite positive at least 1-2 of these are slightly photoshop'ed.... however I don't doubt some of these mixings have happened :lol: and most are pretty adorable.

My two Shepherds herd the cats. Funniest thing to watch, the white one will actually lift the cat up on her nose and spin her around to make her go in the other direction. If I had small kids, I'd imagine they'd herd them too, sure wouldn't be a reason to get rid of them. That's just stupid.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
My two Shepherds herd the cats. Funniest thing to watch, the white one will actually lift the cat up on her nose and spin her around to make her go in the other direction. If I had small kids, I'd imagine they'd herd them too, sure wouldn't be a reason to get rid of them. That's just stupid.

I thought about you the other day. It sounds like your babies are really well trained and respectable and I'm sure that continues in public. I was in Petco last week and had Maggie with me when this county couple comes in with their GSD puppy...think he was 6 months? So slightly larger than Mags. Damn dog kept trying to dominate her (who already doesn't care for socializing with other dogs, she prefers humans but she's oblige and do the "sniff" out of politeness). Anyways he kept trying to stand over her and was growling and the owners thought it was hysterical :confused: Maggie's fur was all up and she had this panicked look in her eyes. They thought it was cute the dog "had a crush" on Maggie and kept allowing him to follow us around the store when clearly Maggie was trying to avoid him. Finally I politely managed to tell them she'd had enough. Brainless people clearly don't see the warning signs of an aggressive/dominating dog. Of course puppies need socializing but it's up to you as an owner to use that time wisely and correct bad mannerisms. Especially breeds like that who crave direction.

:doh:

I love GSDs too and know several GSD owners and they're all pretty serious about the amount of work it goes into training their pups well.

Bay_Kat

Tropical
I thought about you the other day. It sounds like your babies are really well trained and respectable and I'm sure that continues in public. I was in Petco last week and had Maggie with me when this county couple comes in with their GSD puppy...think he was 6 months? So slightly larger than Mags. Damn dog kept trying to dominate her (who already doesn't care for socializing with other dogs, she prefers humans but she's oblige and do the "sniff" out of politeness). Anyways he kept trying to stand over her and was growling and the owners thought it was hysterical :confused: Maggie's fur was all up and she had this panicked look in her eyes. They thought it was cute the dog "had a crush" on Maggie and kept allowing him to follow us around the store when clearly Maggie was trying to avoid him. Finally I politely managed to tell them she'd had enough. Brainless people clearly don't see the warning signs of an aggressive/dominating dog. Of course puppies need socializing but it's up to you as an owner to use that time wisely and correct bad mannerisms. Especially breeds like that who crave direction.

:doh:

I love GSDs too and know several GSD owners and they're all pretty serious about the amount of work it goes into training their pups well.

That would have scared me. People shouldn't take their dogs out to places like that until they are properly trained to be around other dogs.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
I've got a designer dog, he's more into architecture as I think he is building "Poo Hinge" down over the hill. I wonder if it will be in alignment come the equinox or if I will have to wait for a solstice? :tap:

sockgirl77

Mutts make the best pets. A rescued dog always knows its been rescued. Buying animals should be outlawed in our country until the millions of mutts put to death each year stops. Sorry- I never miss a chance to jump on that soap box.

I do not agree. Some people love a breed so much that they will buy a purebred. I see nothing wrong with getting the dog that YOU want. There's one thing about adopting/rescuing...you almost never know exactly what breed you are getting. A huge portion of my family has pet allergies. Is there something so wrong about buying a dog that you KNOW will not affect those allergies?

Oh and then there's the need for hunting/working dogs. What about those? Most of them need to be trained from pup up.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Our 8 month old GSD Mix girl needs social skills and we have no one available to help that has good dog skills. She wants to play, but the other 2 dogs have physical issues, so they would get hurt playing the way she wants to play. Not sure what to do with her as she hasn't been adopted yet. Eventually she will be an adult with no knowledge of how to socialize with other dogs without running up to them and pouncing on them to play.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I do not agree. Some people love a breed so much that they will buy a purebred. I see nothing wrong with getting the dog that YOU want. There's one thing about adopting/rescuing...you almost never know exactly what breed you are getting. A huge portion of my family has pet allergies. Is there something so wrong about buying a dog that you KNOW will not affect those allergies?

Oh and then there's the need for hunting/working dogs. What about those? Most of them need to be trained from pup up.

I think the debate gets fueled by the emotions of people that are acutely aware of the number of wonderful companion critters that are literally killed every year due to lack of a home. I am one of those people who tries to find homes for the critters on the kill list, and we NEVER can seem to save them all.

sockgirl77

I think the debate gets fueled by the emotions of people that are acutely aware of the number of wonderful companion critters that are literally killed every year due to lack of a home. I am one of those people who tries to find homes for the critters on the kill list, and we NEVER can seem to save them all.

Those people need to get their head out of their asses and realize that there's a world beyond those rescues, a world full of various needs. No offense to you, but a majority of rehoming fees are in excess of $200. I'd rather pay a little more and get the exact dog that I want if I'm looking for a specific breed for whatever reason (allergies, hunting, etc.).

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Those people need to get their head out of their asses and realize that there's a world beyond those rescues, a world full of various needs. No offense to you, but a majority of rehoming fees are in excess of $200. I'd rather pay a little more and get the exact dog that I want if I'm looking for a specific breed for whatever reason (allergies, hunting, etc.).

:yeahthat:

I'm all about saving the animals in the shelters first but I also have no problem if someone wants to spend the money on a purebred dog for specific reasons. My family has done both. As long as everyone researches the breed they're looking at carefully, bc that means less animals end up no longer wanted and in shelters.

Bay_Kat

Tropical
My sister went to a shelter near her house in VA last week, just to look. They already have two dogs, both mix breed rescues. They came home with this guy. His name is Flash and he is missing a front leg from a hunting accident and his owners gave him up because he was no good for hunting any more. She said he is the sweetest most laid back dog she's ever seen.

Attachments

• 10353168_10204725272069933_6861625007672735046_n.jpg
    10353168_10204725272069933_6861625007672735046_n.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 388

MMDad

Lem Putt

But the people to blame are the people who dispose of a dog when it is inconvenient and the irresponsible breeders. Without the responsible breeders/owners, the individual breeds would die out as all dogs became mutts.

Personally, I will only get rescues, but that does not mean that those who buy their pure bred are wrong as long as they are making a lifetime commitment. We got our "designer dog" from a rescue last year and the fee was far less than what people pay breeders. But our reason was not the designer breed, it was that she needed to be rescued.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !

I agree as I have friends who do responsible breeding, and I do not fault all breeders, as even though pure bred dogs do end up at the shelter, the majority of the dogs are mixed breeds or unprofessional backyard breeders that are breeding to make a few bucks and don't care what happens after the sale usually. There is room for responsible breeders who ask that the dog be returned to them instead of going to a shelter, if that was ever faced in the future. I have breeder friends who also help with the rescue work :smile:.

The folks who are breeding for hunting dogs need to be accountable for all the dogs they breed, not just the ones they choose to keep. Hazel is a senior beagle that was bred many times and ended up in the shelter as a stray found in Port Tobacco, and no one ever claimed her, just like most of the hunting dogs are not claimed by anyone. I'm sure some breeders are responsible and some obviously are not.