Prostitution problem in St. Mary's City?

TPD

the poor dad
I noticed new signs this morning in St. Mary's City along the reconstructed parts of Rt. 5 - about 6 "No Standing Anytime" signs in a 500' stretch of road just south of the crosswalk. I've never quite understood these "No Standing Anytime" signs when I see them. For whom is the target of these signs? Other than ladies of the night in certain areas, is there really a problem with people just standing in the roadway or on the shoulders of the road that warrant these signs littering our viewscapes? And what about the money it takes to mount and maintain all of these unnecessary signs, not to mention the added cost to mow around them and/or spray weedkiller in the summertime?

And if prostitution is an issue in that area of the college, what could one expect to pay for an hour or two with a competitive vs non-competitive freshman majoring in Theatre and Film vs International Languages and Cultures? Since it's a Liberal Arts college, is anything possible upon request?

So many questions that I'm sure I will find the answers to on this forum...

somd_guy

Not what you think.

"Standing" on a street sign is actually meant for vehicle drivers. "Standing" means idling or being stationary in your car in that area. Same thing in shopping centers, the signs will say "No stopping or standing". Just another way to tell people not to park on the shoulder of the road in that area of Route 5.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
i like TPD's version better......

but wouldn't the sign say no "laying" instead of standing?

TPD

the poor dad
"Standing" on a street sign is actually meant for vehicle drivers. "Standing" means idling or being stationary in your car in that area. Same thing in shopping centers, the signs will say "No stopping or standing". Just another way to tell people not to park on the shoulder of the road in that area of Route 5.

So why not use the "No Parking" sign instead? But the shoulder is only about 41" in that area where the signs are, so definitely no room for parking, but that is enough room for standing, so yes, according to Hank, prostitutes can be had in that area with no problem, hence I guess the reason for the "No Standing" signs - to make prostitution a problem there.

I knew I would find my answers here! :buddies:

Hank

my war
What did it look like?

:shrug:

15153-Tippett-Lisa-Marie.jpg

glhs837

Power with Control
Just noticed those today, and I wonder why. Cant recall any amount of vehicles being parked there. The occasional ones over by the bridge, but none there. Maybe they are having to get creative with spending all that money?

mamatutu

mama to two
You both are idiots and do not grasp humor.

There is no humor in bashing or making jokes about someone else's life. It says a lot about some of y'all. How does it feel to feel so superior? I wouldn't know. Happy foruming. :smile:

Last edited:

mdff21

So why not use the "No Parking" sign instead? :

There is a difference between "Parking" and "Standing" Parking is leaving your vehicle unattended in a place, while standing is sitting in your vehicle while in a place.

Standing would be you let someone out to run into a store and you are sitting there waiting for them to come out. Parking is you park, get out of your car to run into a store.

Last edited: