Dog question for those who have dealt with difficult dogs...

sm8

I am at my wits end with my dog. I am starting to wonder if he has a mental deficiency or if that is even possible. My neighbors look at me like I am crazy because I walk him on a leash in a fenced yard. He is a smaller dog (about 10-15 lbs built like a dachshund but not one). I have even resorted to putting him on a leash in the house to make him stay near me. In the house he will constantly mark if he gets out of my sight. When we are in the yard he just constantly tries to escape. While on leash he will play fetch and will listen ok, definitely not good but ok. The second I take him off he runs circling the fence trying to find a way to get out. He is also nearly impossible to catch he will stay just out of reach and keep running. I feel like he can not get his energy out while on a leash but just do not know what else to try.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Is he neutered? I had a rescue that wanted to mark for a while after getting neutered, but then he began to settle down and stopped doing that. I can't imagine how bad it would have been without him being neutered. He also calmed down significantly after his male hormones adjusted after the neutering.

Ginger0314

Sounds like he needs structured exercise. Do you have a treadmill? If the weather is bad or for whatever reason I put my dog on the treadmill at the speed we would normally be walking sometimes for an hour. They are focused and the exercise is structured. Read some of the the dog whisperer articles. Structured discipline affection. You may need a trainer. Don't give up.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Get him a Belly Band for when he's in the house - Pepper's Pet Pantry has them. It's basically a doggy diaper; Apollo has to wear one when I'm gone because he is, um, easily stimulated and hikes his leg out of anxiety.

Definitely neuter him, if he's not already.

I'm picturing your little velociraptor testing the fence for weakness. :lol:

frequentflier

happy to be living
Is he still a puppy? Is he crate trained? Do your neighbors have dogs that he may be trying to get to? Could that also be part of the cause of his marking?

Have you taken him for any kind of training or had a trainer come to your home? I would recommend having a professional assess his behavior and help you learn how to control it.

Definitely try a belly band for him. Use maxi pads inside the band. If he pees, it is contained. I would recommend having 2 bands as they are machine washable (you will always have a clean one to use)

MMDad

Lem Putt
Have you taken him for any kind of training or had a trainer come to your home? I would recommend having a professional assess his behavior and help you learn how to control it.

:yeahthat: The training has two purposes - to train the dog and to train you to handle the dog.

Roman

Like FF, and Vrai said, get 2 belly bands. Don't put them in the dryer, hang to dry. Patience is a virtue, he will come around in time. I have a deaf pup that was real hard to deal with in the beginning. I do use a vibrating collar from time to time, to communicate with her, especially when we are out and about. Now just having it on, makes her behave. I've only had to jolt her twice in 2.5 years. She got the message humanely, but quick.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
We had a Lab that was about 6 yrs old. Out of the blue he decided he wanted to mark in the house. We thought It was because we had gone away on vacation (we had gone away before so nothing new). Someone mentioned to me that dogs can sense up to a mile away if a female dog was in heat. Lasted about 2 weeks then stopped completely. Not sure how accurate that info is but maybe something to consider? Good luck.

Roman

We had a Lab that was about 6 yrs old. Out of the blue he decided he wanted to mark in the house. We thought It was because we had gone away on vacation (we had gone away before so nothing new). Someone mentioned to me that dogs can sense up to a mile away if a female dog was in heat. Lasted about 2 weeks then stopped completely. Not sure how accurate that info is but maybe something to consider? Good luck.
That is food for thought!

sm8

He is 9 months old so I believe he is still considered a puppy. He is my first small dog, we have always had larger breed dogs in the past and the have been very well trained. There are a lot of other dogs around and 3 in particular that never stay in their yard and constantly pee on our fence. I never really gave it much thought but that may be over stimulating him. These same neighbors have let their dogs run free for the past 15 years so I doubt that will change any time soon. He does need to be neutered, we had his appointment scheduled three times now and have received a call about needing to reschedule and I just never got around to rescheduling this last time. I think it may be time to try through a different place than the vet. I really liked the people there but I think they just have more patients than they can handle.

Edited to add: Yes he is crate trained, that is my saving grace. I almost feel like he is too smart for his own good vs dumb. I keep telling myself it will come with age and hopefully that is not wishful thinking.

Last edited:

Roman

He is 9 months old so I believe he is still considered a puppy. He is my first small dog, we have always had larger breed dogs in the past and the have been very well trained. There are a lot of other dogs around and 3 in particular that never stay in their yard and constantly pee on our fence. I never really gave it much thought but that may be over stimulating him. These same neighbors have let their dogs run free for the past 15 years so I doubt that will change any time soon. He does need to be neutered, we had his appointment scheduled three times now and have received a call about needing to reschedule and I just never got around to rescheduling this last time. I think it may be time to try through a different place than the vet. I really liked the people there but I think they just have more patients than they can handle.

Edited to add: Yes he is crate trained, that is my saving grace. I almost feel like he is too smart for his own good vs dumb. I keep telling myself it will come with age and hopefully that is not wishful thinking.
Getting him neutered will solve everything I'll bet.